Drone Disconnects
1037 6 2017-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Modern Explorer
New

United States

Hello, I have Mavic Pro Platinum and I have flown it about 8 times so far successfully. However, today up in the mountains something strange happend. I kept loosing signal with the monitor and I kept getting disconnected. The controller itself still worked for flying the drone when in LOS, but the app stopped and even shut down a couple of times.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be related to or a link to answers? Strangly enough the problem seemed to be occuring geograpically around the same spot between flying out further it reconnected, but then disconnected again around the same area when flying back. There are signal with the controller itself stayed strong, but connection to the app seemed to have failed. Im using a Pixel 2 in order to run the APP and drone. There are large and strong TV and Radio Antennas on a mountain within LOS and about 10 miles away, could this disrupt the connection?

Any advice would be helpful - thank you.

-Mateo
2017-11-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It might so always stay away from Cell towers, high voltage power line antennas, metals etc.  If it is working fine in other areas then it is the smart thing NOT TO FLY in the affected areas. Good luck!
2017-11-17
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

I don't think your signal got disrupted. Sounds more like your RC cable could be causing problems. Try using another cable and plug it into the bottom USB port and fly it on the same location.
2017-11-17
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think you basically answered the question yourself when you said the problem seemed to occur in the same area. There can be any number of reasons for signal interference and your best option is to avoid those areas. Upload your flight to PhantomHelp and have a look through it as it may give some further indication to the reasons for the disconnections.
2017-11-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would suggest to fly in another location without interference to check whether it appears again. Alternatively, you can change the cable or mobile to verify.
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

In you case, it seems that your drone was disconnected because of compass error. Here are some tips about flight environment.
mavic flight environment.JPG
2017-11-18
Use props
Modern Explorer
New

United States

Awesome, thank you everyone who responded with so much great advice. I will look further into the problem now that I have a better idea of what to look for. I will see if I can get any data out of the phantomhelp (which I assume is an app I can download?) and see if that gives me some answers.

I think that the problem may have been an issue between the app and the controller, because even though it happened around the same place I was still able to fly the drone even if the app was ether offline or closed out completely. I assume that if the towers, which are pretty far away at 10 miles - that if it did cause an effect it would have also have stopped me from flying the drone itself via the controller. I have flown small drones in the military and when a signal overrides and disrupts the frequency I loose complete control of both the visual display and control as well.

I will test out the drone when I have some time and see if I cannot resolve this issue.

Thank you!
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules