Why is my Ronin's tilt axis drifting away ?
15946 13 2014-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ess.developpeme
New

France

Hi everybody,

I have this issue : everytime I turn on my (amazing) DJI Ronin, it sets up right, but then the tilt axis begin to go as he pleases, first going up and then going down to slowly reach an angle value between -13° and -14°.
The balance seems excellent and the screws are tightened. I set it up with a full Canon XA10 + a wide angle lens + some cables to have a monitor and a remote. The motor stiffness values are : Pan 30 / Tilt 20 / Roll 30. I still don't know what "trim" is for so I didn't change it and let it be 0. I tried every types of software-helped calibrations but the issue remains.
I can still use it the way it is, but i'm afraid it would damage the motors, plus it doesn't seem to be able to handle the other positions (briefcase mode and up mode).

Do you have any idea why ?
Thank you !

2014-10-22
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
China

Are you saying if you place the Ronin on the stand, after a while it starts to drift slowly? Is this happening with your remote controller on or off? What are your motor power values when it sits on the stand?

Can you try setting your Smoothtrack speed to 100 and deadband to 0 and see if it still drifts all with the remote controller off?
2014-10-22
Use props
kent
lvl.1
United States

I am having an issue with my Ronin's roll axis drifting endlessly after the battery is turned on. The gimbal has been PERFECTLY balanced by hand but once it is turned on the roll drifts (while on the stand).

I spent about 10 minutes starting a new thread that detailed this, but was given some sort of error while trying to post it and it was lost. Kind of a frustrating night and I'm super close to returning this thing.
2014-11-13
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Hi Kent,
Please try the system calibration on the assistant software.
2014-11-14
Use props
deandradeuf
New

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2014-10-23 13:08
Are you saying if you place the Ronin on the stand, after a while it starts to drift slowly? Is this ...

Hello there Paul,

I just purchased my Ronin 2 days ago in L.A. and I Love it. I have had an awesome time running around with it and can't wait to use it on set. Just one issue similar to developpeme's, the angle of my camera seems to be off. It starts in -14 and is always angled down. Even after rigorous balance. Is there a way to get it looking straight out? I have tried re-calibrating and auto adjusting but the camera remains looking down.
2014-11-14
Use props
jp
New

Canada

Mine just tilts down to 18 degrees from the get go. I've tried A7s, C100, 5D3, GH4 - all perfect balanced on all axis & I just can't get it to level. So all my shots so far point downwards which is embarrassing when I present to clients.

I've also added 10 degrees of trim in the iOS app - which eliminates a fraction of the issue - the trim needs to go to like 30 or 40 instead of just 10!

firmware 2.3 didn't fix, I've calibrated and re-calibrated, rebalanced to perfection - still points down. Help - DJI to the rescue please.

Powered on - tilts down

Powered on - tilts down

Powered on - this is how much mine is out!

Powered on - this is how much mine is out!

Powered off - balances great

Powered off - balances great

Powered on - the dreaded tilt

Powered on - the dreaded tilt

2014-11-16
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
China

jp@formatfilms. Posted at 2014-11-17 07:06
Mine just tilts down to 18 degrees from the get go. I've tried A7s, C100, 5D3, GH4 - all perfect bal ...

This is an easy fix if you'd like to do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable doing this, please contact your local support office.

There are hard stops as you rotate the camera platform on the tilt axis. You will use the hard stops to rotate the camera platform. on the tilt motor's shaft. Before doing this, make sure you've adjusted your tilt trim to 0.

1) Check how many degrees off from center you are.
2) Slightly loosen the 2 bolts at front of of the vertical tilt bar that's attached to the tilt motor. You are only loosening the grip of the vertical bar on the motor's shaft.
3) Gently rotate the camera platform in the direction you want to be adjusting. As you hit the hard stop push slightly past this stop to counter for the difference you measured in step 1.
4) Tighten the bolts and turn on the Ronin and check your tilt angle.
2014-11-21
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.2

China

jp@formatfilms. Posted at 2014-11-17 07:06
Mine just tilts down to 18 degrees from the get go. I've tried A7s, C100, 5D3, GH4 - all perfect bal ...

Try the trim still can not solve the issue? what happen now ?
2014-11-27
Use props
syahidan.tamim
New

Malaysia

Im having the exact same issue. Is this some kind of hardware problem? I just got my Ronin today. Should I try to get a replacement?
2015-4-4
Use props
camera
New

United States

I've had my Ronin for about half a year+ and have never had a problem with it until just recently when I updated the app on my iPhone (roughly mid July 2015). All of a sudden I was having drift issues and when I flipped the right toggle all the way down to reset the pan and roll, the roll would reset at an off angle instead of even horizon. Of course this happened right before two jobs. I just upgraded to the latest Assistant App on my Mac (1.8) and using that upgraded to the latest GCU firmware (1.0) and IMU firmware (3.0) and so far, so good! I have yet to put it through real world testing but now it resets properly and I have not yet noticed any drift.
2015-8-2
Use props
atufilms
New

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2014-11-21 22:10
This is an easy fix if you'd like to do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable doing this, please c ...

I have the same problem and I am sorry, but you are mistaken. The vertical arm is keyed to the shaft that it is attached to so there is no way to adjust it with the two screws.

Adjusting speed and deadband to 100 and 0 respectively doesn't solve the problem. Plus that would be an undesirable solution even if it worked because zero deadband would introduce unwanted movement.

Anyone working on this?
2015-11-17
Use props
dxripunov
New

Azerbaijan

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-11-14 12:17
Hi Kent,
Please try the system calibration on the assistant software.

Hello! i have some problem with my Ronin M, i manually balance my camera Canon Mark 3 with Canon 24-70mm and when i turn on Ronin , his shake. This is my video about problem. Latest firmware installed

Who can help me?
2015-11-20
Use props
kazakov-sasha
New

Russia

I have problems, with pan axis
2016-8-13
Use props
camrografo
New

Mexico

DJI-Paul Posted at 2014-11-21 22:10
This is an easy fix if you'd like to do it yourself. If you are uncomfortable doing this, please contact your local support office.

There are hard stops as you rotate the camera platform on the tilt axis. You will use the hard stops to rotate the camera platform. on the tilt motor's shaft. Before doing this, make sure you've adjusted your tilt trim to 0.

1) Check how many degrees off from center you are.
2) Slightly loosen the 2 bolts at front of of the vertical tilt bar that's attached to the tilt motor. You are only loosening the grip of the vertical bar on the motor's shaft.
3) Gently rotate the camera platform in the direction you want to be adjusting. As you hit the hard stop push slightly past this stop to counter for the difference you measured in step 1.
4) Tighten the bolts and turn on the Ronin and check your tilt angle.

I followed tuis steps, but when you reach the hard stop the platform does not pass this point
2017-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules