Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Beginner
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KAIKEONG
New

China

Hi!

I am getting a drone system as a hobby. Without any drone experiences, should I buy the simplest and cheapest Sparks? My ideal drone is Phantom 4 Pro.
By buying a cheaper set in the event of getting lost or crash. But that means I must spend more money if  I go for Sparks and after more experience to
Phantom 4 Pro.

Any advise would greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
2017-11-18
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Go for the one you want, but take plenty of time to read the manuals, practise on the simulator and then find a very safe place for your first flights - don't fly among trees or over water or behind buildings or out of sight until you know what you are doing.

It is probably easier to crash or loose a Spark than a Phantom, the Phantoms can be seen from a much greater distance and can cope with stronger winds and more turbulence and the Pro has better obstacle avoidance.  It is quite difficult to loose a Phantom except in strong winds, they have a good homing instinct, and you will only crash if you take risks.
2017-11-18
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a difficult question in that you are considering many different platforms. When I started many years ago I bought the first Phantom that was on the market and never put a camera on it. Cameras were separate back then. I wanted to see if I could fly it  first. I still have that Phantom. The technology has and is still growing in leaps and bounds with a huge input of safety and reliability. The Phantom 4 Pro is a technical marvel that is a very operator friendly Quad that is easy to fly. Don't enter into this with the attitude that you are going to lose or crash your first Quad. That is the wrong way of thinking and most likely will denounce your efforts, concentration, and responsibility. The Spark and Phantom are two entirely different platforms. If you are serious about your photography and are truly interested in flying and continuing flying go for the Phantom. If you just want to experience flying go for the Spark but be responsible in flying any platform. As mentioned above practice in a large open area with no people around. If you have a friend that has been flying for a while ask he or she to give you some insight. You may ask that question here on the forum and if someone is close I am sure they will pitch in to give you a helping hand. Again, don't be negative. Positive thoughts will prevail. I think that once you try it you will be hooked.
2017-11-18
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I purchased a phantom 3 std a couple of months ago, while it is a nice drone I soon learned that I needed more so I have just upgraded to a phantom 4 Pro. I had my first shake down flight today and wow what a drone it is. I don’t regret it for one second.
2017-11-18
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Quite simply, the more you spend, the more value you get.  But different drones have different advantages.  Some are small, some are fast, some have steady and superb video.  When you choose which one matches your interests, begin watching all the DJI Tutorial videos you can on YouTube.  That way when your drone arrives, you already have a knowledge of how it works and its features and functions.
2017-11-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I would recommend a refurbished P3S as a starter. $399, and you can learn a lot about all phantoms operate as far as flying one.  Better to crash while learning and lose a lot less money.
2017-11-18
Use props
KAIKEONG
New

China

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-18 04:35
This is a difficult question in that you are considering many different platforms. When I started many years ago I bought the first Phantom that was on the market and never put a camera on it. Cameras were separate back then. I wanted to see if I could fly it  first. I still have that Phantom. The technology has and is still growing in leaps and bounds with a huge input of safety and reliability. The Phantom 4 Pro is a technical marvel that is a very operator friendly Quad that is easy to fly. Don't enter into this with the attitude that you are going to lose or crash your first Quad. That is the wrong way of thinking and most likely will denounce your efforts, concentration, and responsibility. The Spark and Phantom are two entirely different platforms. If you are serious about your photography and are truly interested in flying and continuing flying go for the Phantom. If you just want to experience flying go for the Spark but be responsible in flying any platform. As mentioned above practice in a large open area with no people around. If you have a friend that has been flying for a while ask he or she to give you some insight. You may ask that question here on the forum and if someone is close I am sure they will pitch in to give you a helping hand. Again, don't be negative. Positive thoughts will prevail. I think that once you try it you will be hooked.

Roger, thanks so much for sharing. Yes. You are right absolutely. Positive mindset
2017-11-18
Use props
KAIKEONG
New

China

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-18 04:35

Roger, thanks so much for sharing. Yes. You are right absolutely. Positive mindset
2017-11-18
Use props
Torkild, Norway
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26273 ft
Norway

I'm also a beginner, and went for P4 normal, not pro.
I'm having a tiny regret I didn't go for the pro version,
but at the time, I thought that if I crash, then I won't loose
that much money.

After finally getting some wheater that allowed me having a go at flying,
that regret hit me... The Phantom is much more easy to fly than I first
imagined. So, can your budget cope, go for a Pro version.

My five cent on the matter.
2017-11-18
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KAIKEONG Posted at 2017-11-18 05:44

With that in mind you will be fine. Welcome aboard and if I can be of any help to you please contact me.
2017-11-18
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Torkild, Norway Posted at 2017-11-18 05:54
I'm also a beginner, and went for P4 normal, not pro.
I'm having a tiny regret I didn't go for the pro version,
but at the time, I thought that if I crash, then I won't loose

Well stated and I feel that he would have the same regrets. I feel that he is on the right flight plan now and am glad he asked this group for input. I am sure a Pro is around the corner for you.
2017-11-18
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

I still consider myself a beginner after owning the drone for almost 12 months,
I origionaly was wanting a p3 but opted for the p4 as my idea was it should have more technology making it easy to fly.
I had no experience at all & couldn’t even cope with remote control helicopters, but I found it surprisingly easy,
I have only just taken it out of beginner mode!.
My advice like others is take your time & learn in a safe place away from members of the public trees houses electricity towers etc. & go for a drone you will want to be using once your skill levels increase

Good luck whichever way you go I’m sure you’ll enjoy the experience
2017-11-18
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Captain
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Kaikeong
2017-11-18
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Captain
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
i was asking myself exactly the same questions and in the end went for the  P4P+ , it is a big investment and i was worried about all the things that could go wrong .
Some retailers offer a try before you buy  so go and have a test drive if you can , i chose the P4P for the filming over the flying but the flying is just as good.
Whatever you opt for always read the manual , fly responsibly and within your local regulations .
Most accidents  are pilot error so knowing what your kit is capable of is a must
good luck and have fun
2017-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am also still in doubt.
Although for me the Phantom 4 Advanced seems like more value for money.
Spark has one major downside (at least for me): it does not shoot 25fps.
If you don't need that than it seems a great way of entering the world of DJI.
I know it has more limitations but size and price feel perfect to start with.
On the other hand, the P4A has a (much) better camera and gimbal. Also the flight time is much better.
So if you 'need' that.....
Too bad the combination is not (yet) available

So far I have not found a good deal on either one (here in NL they are way to expensive) and I guess the one with the best deal will be my first DJI
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the participants above, hope their answers will make some tips. And I agree that no matter which drone you purchase in the end, remember to read the manual first. Be brave and be careful.
2017-11-18
Use props
dayviduk
Second Officer

United Kingdom

To be perfectly honest , they are so so easy to fly in GPS mode ,just dont take chances as thats how most end up in bits
2017-11-19
Use props
Aussie4220
Captain
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

buy the drone you want and take your time learning to use the controls, fly in safe opne spaces, limit the distance you fly until you are comfortable flying from the screen, maintain lilne of sight at all times and just go easy.  You will learn quickly enoughy  and then you will be glad you bought the drone you wnated.  I strated off with a P4P+ as my first drone and i am glad i did.
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules