mavic behaving odly - please advise.
720 17 2017-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi all, for the past while ( i believe since my last app update - currently running djigo4v4.1.15) my mavic has been behaving badly.
Examples of bad behaviour are : when i press to focus - it sometimes takes etremely long to do so or does not do so at all 2 sometimes/mostly when i press the camera button to take a picture, it does not take a picture and sometimes it then takes many pictures a few minutes later without any input from me. 3 the battery level of my mavic on my rc and the indicator on my device do not provide the same reading of battery level. 4 - today it limited itself to 30m distance 5 - the mavic position on the map display was constantly delayed - 6 my device screen was giving pixilated images even though my drone was directly above my head about 2m 7- general delay between my action and camera action with tilting up and down.

Having noticed some of these problems before i recently refreshed my RC and Mavic on dji assistant which was apparently successful.

Any good advise on what i should do to get back to flying without these issues?

2017-11-18
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Uninstall then reinstall go app,if still the same maybe your device is under power.
2017-11-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-11-18 16:47
Uninstall then reinstall go app,if still the same maybe your device is under power.

Thanks - i have uninstalled and reinstalled the app again and will try it out today and see how it goes.
2017-11-18
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You failed to mention what device you are using the app with ? As per Eagle Eye - your device may need more processing power. It's OK uninstalling and reinstalling but if  the device is not up to the task then you will continue to have issues.
2017-11-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the replies above. Please try, and you can also do a firmware refresh, see if it helps.
2017-11-19
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-11-19 00:44
You failed to mention what device you are using the app with ? As per Eagle Eye - your device may need more processing power. It's OK uninstalling and reinstalling but if  the device is not up to the task then you will continue to have issues.

so i am using a sony z3 - it has worked very well till recently.
The idea that it may be lack of processing power is about the only thing that makes sense when considering the problems i am experiencing -
2017-11-20
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-19 22:50
Thanks for the replies above. Please try, and you can also do a firmware refresh, see if it helps.

i have done firmware refreshes and relaoded the app. Each time at the start of flight all is well but within short time the camera starts delaying (through the devise) and then the other issues of 1, battery false reading and navigation positioning etc starts going wrong - no fun flying like this.
Is it not possible to reinstall the previous version of the app that worked for me?
2017-11-20
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-11-20 13:20
i have done firmware refreshes and relaoded the app. Each time at the start of flight all is well but within short time the camera starts delaying (through the devise) and then the other issues of 1, battery false reading and navigation positioning etc starts going wrong - no fun flying like this.
Is it not possible to reinstall the previous version of the app that worked for me?

Firmware on the craft you can roll back with. the app is universal so I believe you are stuck with the version released. I have used the Z3 myself with few issues. The thing is, with each update things get added meaning the device needs a little more power as time goes on. The craft also get additions like the latest pano mode on Mavic with also makes it harder for older, smaller devices. The Z3 was released in September 2014 so will be getting to the point where it's not going to handle the demands. there are post's showing that the iPad mini 3 is struggling now.
2017-11-20
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-11-20 21:17
Firmware on the craft you can roll back with. the app is universal so I believe you are stuck with the version released. I have used the Z3 myself with few issues. The thing is, with each update things get added meaning the device needs a little more power as time goes on. The craft also get additions like the latest pano mode on Mavic with also makes it harder for older, smaller devices. The Z3 was released in September 2014 so will be getting to the point where it's not going to handle the demands. there are post's showing that the iPad mini 3 is struggling now.

Hey Corey, thanks for yr reply, much appreciated.
Gonna start looking for a phone upgrade tomorrow.

Pulled out my old samsung which still has 4.1.4 on it. Will try fly that tomorrow and hopefully be able to rule out if any of the issues are drone related.
Thanks, dean

2017-11-23
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Be very careful flying with this condition....I recently had ALL THESE ISSUES when I 'upgraded' to V. 4.15 (app) using my Android.  I then went to Maui (when I discovered these problems!).  I went to these forums and DJI Thor was helping try to fix this as were a couple others (different forum/thread).  I thought I finally got it working/behaving (including switching to a Z3 as I think you use). I also tried a Z5 and it was good too but I stayed with the Z3 since it was on DJI's "compatability list' of phones.  I only had a couple days left of my Vacation and I was super happy that the Mavic appeared to be finally behaving.   I then LOST MY MAVIC - to make a long story short...because of specifically these issues!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am very experienced flier and flown in many different situations so while it was an extreme inconvenience to have these issues I could still fly and take pics/video (although taking pics/video is painfully difficult b/c of the lagging!!).  But your mention of the battery info not matching the app is very interesting...I am quite certain this happened to me.  I ended up getting into a situation where low power was an issue; something I've never had issues with.  It must have been because of this mismatch in telemetry data.  I lost my Mavic almost entirely b/c of the video lag and then full video lost (even though I was VLOS) and now I am sure that not having the proper battery indication may have played a role as I was shocked at how fast my Mavic lost battery from the moment my battery % warning kicked in to when I experienced the telemetry issues that caused it to become lost!!!  I set my battery warning at 25% and immediately returned it home prior to this.  The lag etc caused me to slightly overshoot my home location and the instant I attempted to correct this, my mavic became unresponsive and attempted to auto-land.  I could not control it at all or very well because of this lag issue etc.  Before I knew it, Mavic landed and it's last known gps location did not turn up my Mavic.    Sooooo...be VERY extra careful with your mavic when it is having these issues. I lost mine through no fault of my own. So disappointing!
2017-11-23
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

You CAN install the old version of the app that worked for you.  If you go back to v. 4.9 or v4.10  (Android) it will work for you.  DJI did something with the app updates beyond this that makes the Mavic extremely unstable and unreliable.  It is NOT your device being under-powered, it is their app (and possibly firmware related).  There are many many phones that are not on their 'compatible' list that work perfectly fine and many that ARE on the list that have many if not all of these same issues so you cannot make a general statement that only compatible phones will be error-free.  But I understand why DJI has such a list...it should be a 'tested list'.   
2017-11-23
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

"Each time at the start of flight all is well but within short time the camera starts delaying (through the devise) "

I've noticed this exactly as well.  It can be misleading since the pre-flight check shows very good camera response etc....until you get flying then (maybe, not always) it starts to fail on you (the camera freeze/lag, command lag, and telemetry issues).  I sure hope DJI does the right thing and compensates those that lost their Mavics because of this issue...I can sadly count myself as one of these folks that are hoping; as I just lost my Mavic and are bummed out.  There was a couple things I could have done personally different to reduce my risk...but I'm certain the root and primary causes for losing my Mavic were the fault of the mavic/software.
2017-11-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-23 17:09
Be very careful flying with this condition....I recently had ALL THESE ISSUES when I 'upgraded' to V. 4.15 (app) using my Android.  I then went to Maui (when I discovered these problems!).  I went to these forums and DJI Thor was helping try to fix this as were a couple others (different forum/thread).  I thought I finally got it working/behaving (including switching to a Z3 as I think you use). I also tried a Z5 and it was good too but I stayed with the Z3 since it was on DJI's "compatability list' of phones.  I only had a couple days left of my Vacation and I was super happy that the Mavic appeared to be finally behaving.   I then LOST MY MAVIC - to make a long story short...because of specifically these issues!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am very experienced flier and flown in many different situations so while it was an extreme inconvenience to have these issues I could still fly and take pics/video (although taking pics/video is painfully difficult b/c of the lagging!!).  But your mention of the battery info not matching the app is very interesting...I am quite certain this happened to me.  I ended up getting into a situation where low power was an issue; something I've never had issues with.  It must have been because of this mismatch in telemetry data.  I lost my Mavic almost entirely b/c of the video lag and then full video lost (even though I was VLOS) and now I am sure that not having the proper battery indication may have played a role as I was shocked at how fast my Mavic lost battery from the moment my battery % warning kicked in to when I experienced the telemetry issues that caused it to become lost!!!  I set my battery warning at 25% and immediately returned it home prior to this.  The lag etc caused me to slightly overshoot my home location and the instant I attempted to correct this, my mavic became unresponsive and attempted to auto-land.  I could not control it at all or very well because of this lag issue etc.  Before I knew it, Mavic landed and it's last known gps location did not turn up my Mavic.    Sooooo...be VERY extra careful with your mavic when it is having these issues. I lost mine through no fault of my own. So disappointing!

hey Randy - sorry for yr loss of yr mavic. thanks for sharing yr experiance with me.
I believe that dji has a duty towards users to make sure that their updates are compatible with our devises or to advise in advance if our devises are becomming out of date.
I had a few mid flight wobbles that scared that life out of me - i even went so far as to factory reset my devise but for me and my Z3 its just not working properly or reliably anymore.
Also feeling pretty dissapointed but extremely grateful that i still have my mavic.
2017-11-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-23 17:38
You CAN install the old version of the app that worked for you.  If you go back to v. 4.9 or v4.10  (Android) it will work for you.  DJI did something with the app updates beyond this that makes the Mavic extremely unstable and unreliable.  It is NOT your device being under-powered, it is their app (and possibly firmware related).  There are many many phones that are not on their 'compatible' list that work perfectly fine and many that ARE on the list that have many if not all of these same issues so you cannot make a general statement that only compatible phones will be error-free.  But I understand why DJI has such a list...it should be a 'tested list'.

yes i agree - it should be a tested list.
i am so frustrated by this problem.
You do not perhaps know how i can reload v4.9 or .10 do you?
2017-11-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-23 17:47
"Each time at the start of flight all is well but within short time the camera starts delaying (through the devise) "

I've noticed this exactly as well.  It can be misleading since the pre-flight check shows very good camera response etc....until you get flying then (maybe, not always) it starts to fail on you (the camera freeze/lag, command lag, and telemetry issues).  I sure hope DJI does the right thing and compensates those that lost their Mavics because of this issue...I can sadly count myself as one of these folks that are hoping; as I just lost my Mavic and are bummed out.  There was a couple things I could have done personally different to reduce my risk...but I'm certain the root and primary causes for losing my Mavic were the fault of the mavic/software.

would be nice for dji moderators to give some input to this thread.
Dji places a duty/responsibility on users to comply with their requirements (use latest dji app) and recommendations (what devises are compatible) then there equally exists a responsibility on them to make sure their updates work on those recommended devises or to warn users in advance if those recommended devise no longer work.
2017-11-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-23 17:47

hey randy - thanks for pointing me to mavichelp software where i was able to view the app requirements (minimum and target values)
in all the values it requires my z3 satisfies the "target' values.

However no value is given for cpu requirements - i wonder if this is not perhaps the breakdown point?

my z3 is a quad core - perhaps the new spec is for octocore processor?
would be nice if dji would give an answer to this - what is the target cpu spec requirements?
Or to provide a list with full breakdown of devise spec requirements and a list of compatible devises.
2017-11-26
Use props
eyein thesky
New
Flight distance : 36388 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, also playing up...
I had a PS3 Advance and now a Mavic which both flew with no problems using my Android Alcatel pixi 4 "5", but now after latest up date on Mavic using Assistant, and latest DJI Go 4, I get blotchy image, all pixilated, also "check app", "sys warning", yes I can on the phone does the same, fly even though "aircraft Disconnected" is shown, but never went far, and cant see what camera sees, even Litchi on the phone does the same...  anyone got ideas on how to fix, have uninstalled and reinstalled, arghhh
2017-11-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

eyein thesky Posted at 2017-11-26 13:40
Hi all, also playing up...
I had a PS3 Advance and now a Mavic which both flew with no problems using my Android Alcatel pixi 4 "5", but now after latest up date on Mavic using Assistant, and latest DJI Go 4, I get blotchy image, all pixilated, also "check app", "sys warning", yes I can on the phone does the same, fly even though "aircraft Disconnected" is shown, but never went far, and cant see what camera sees, even Litchi on the phone does the same...  anyone got ideas on how to fix, have uninstalled and reinstalled, arghhh

hey eyeinthesky - it is looking to me as though the only way forward is for us to take a few steps back to about v4.10.
my old device i had not used for months was still loaded with V4.10 and its been working.

a parculiar thing though is that it is somehow updating - i can only imagine it is through the drone because this other devise i keep without a sim and unconnected to wifi - so how the changes came about is most curious.

you can get a copy of the older app at mavichelp.com. Scroll down for a long time to Software - previous versions.

let us know if you go that route and if it works for you - good luck

let us know if it works out for you
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules