RC Will Not Connect To iPhone or iPad
7908 14 2017-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
project17
New
Canada

This just cost me a job as I was unable to fly for a client.

I am using the latest version of the DJI Go 4 app.  I have updated my firmware on my Phantom 4.

My problem is that I cannot for the life of me connect the RC to the iPad, now iPhone 8 Plus.  When you plug the lightning cable in, you get a quick buzz on the phone, the lightning symbol shows up by the battery, then dissapears.  It seems as if the RC unit does not pump out enough power or something to keep the connection solid.  I've owned the P4 for more than a year and the problem just started. Everything was fine with the drone up until I was (duped / forced / nudged) into upgrading the app which initially rendered my using the iPhone 5 as useless.  The drone still worked with my iPad which was able to run the new app.  However, recently, I'm not entirely sure after which update as my iPad is set to auto update apps (which is a problem I know).  

I am annoyed and have no idea on how to fix this.  I have tried multiple lighting cables.  Charged the batteries of the RC and Drone.  Updated firmware.  Updated the app. I've searched and I don't see anyone describing their lack of connecting to their iPhone the same way.  Maybe it is the same problem everyone else is having.  Are there any solutions? I can't see one credible one presented by DJI itself.  Absolutely ridiculous.  DJI needs to respond, or needs to offer some sort of refund.  
2017-11-18
Use props
markdaviesmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 464961 ft
United States

I think the issue could be related to that new USB-C to Lightning cable.

Do we know if iPhone 8 or X are officially supported?

-
2017-11-18
Use props
markdaviesmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 464961 ft
United States

There's a whole thread about this issue in the Mavic forum: https://forum.dji.com/thread-114221-1-1.html
2017-11-18
Use props
project17
New
Canada

markdaviesmedia Posted at 2017-11-18 14:14
I think the issue could be related to that new USB-C to Lightning cable.

Do we know if iPhone 8 or X are officially supported?

I'm not sure if the 8 or X are officially supported, but I've used old cables and new cables. I think I've actually tried 9 different lightning cables.  Some I have used successfully for the last year with the iPad connected as the viewer.
2017-11-19
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know you may already tried this, but did you uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 App on your devices?
2017-11-19
Use props
project17
New
Canada

markdaviesmedia Posted at 2017-11-18 14:17
There's a whole thread about this issue in the Mavic forum: https://forum.dji.com/thread-114221-1-1.html

Yeah that thread doesn't really address the issue.  It notes a problem with iOS11 but I'm on iOS11.1.2 which has fixed some peoples issues.  

My problem comes back to the fact that I can't get any device (iPad running the latest iOS10 which has been used with the drone successfully countless times in the past year, and iPhone 8 with iOS11... which just won't connect), to sustain a connection to the RC unit.  

I've tried to update the RC unit via the DJI Assistant 2, but it always comes up with the "Cannot Load Firmware List"  

I understand the iPhone 8Plus not working because it is so new, but the fact that an older, supported iPad that has worked flawlessly for such a long time makes zero sense.   
2017-11-19
Use props
project17
New
Canada

Tmygun Posted at 2017-11-19 06:42
I know you may already tried this, but did you uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 App on your devices?

Yes I tried that.  Unfortunately no success.
2017-11-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have the "Disconnected" error with both my iPad Air 2 and the newer iPad Pro with the current 11.1.2 in both.  I have to unplug the cable once I get GO 4.1.18 running and it shows the "Disconnected" and black screen, re-plug it back into the USB jack and it works properly.

Seems like it might be stuck on charging the tablet from the RC (Although everything is charged up.) rather than switching to the USB data for the camera, but don't know.  This has haunted my Androids in the past as well, but I retired them since switching to the Apple tablets.

2017-11-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, what's the current version of your DJI GO and OS system? Have you tried to refresh the OS via iTunes? Please post the screenshots for better assistance, thanks!
2017-11-20
Use props
mt.bartling
New

Denmark

Hey,
I had pretty much the same problem today with my straight out of the box Mavic Air + controller. While setting up the remote and aircraft it told me to plug in my phone (iPhone SE) I did, and the phone vibrated and showed the charging sign for a second, then disconnected again. The App was not able to establish a connection with the phone some how. I the tried multiple things like reinstalling, rebooting aso. in the end updating iOS from 11.2 something to 11.2.5 (15D60) helped. I tried again and eventually got my Mavic in the air! Not sure what exactly fixed it, but definitely a software issue!
2018-1-30
Use props
slyd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12231 ft
United States

I have a Spark (had it for about 10 months) that has not let me down until a few days ago.  It is a Fly-More package and have been using it with an iPad Air.  No issues what ever until a few days ago.  It just would not connect to the iPad.  I have spent countless hours trying  to resolve this issue. I have considered re-installing the DJI Go app but I doubt it would resolve the issue.  After reading all the posts on various forums etc. I have come to the conclusion that DJI does not know what to do to resolve this issue.  The only way I could connect to the iPad is with a OTG cable that I have never used in the past.  If anybody as resolved this issue could you kindly let me know what the solution is?  Thanks.
2018-12-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

slyd Posted at 12-21 15:23
I have a Spark (had it for about 10 months) that has not let me down until a few days ago.  It is a Fly-More package and have been using it with an iPad Air.  No issues what ever until a few days ago.  It just would not connect to the iPad.  I have spent countless hours trying  to resolve this issue. I have considered re-installing the DJI Go app but I doubt it would resolve the issue.  After reading all the posts on various forums etc. I have come to the conclusion that DJI does not know what to do to resolve this issue.  The only way I could connect to the iPad is with a OTG cable that I have never used in the past.  If anybody as resolved this issue could you kindly let me know what the solution is?  Thanks.

Try a different cable, the lightning cables have circuitry built into them to identify them as 'genuine', and all are far from equal. Simplest solution might be just to reverse the plug into the socket. Best solution appears to be use good quality cables.

Edit:- It's unusual for iOS devices to have comm's problems running DJI Go 4.
2018-12-21
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

Aardvark Posted at 12-21 16:08
Try a different cable, the lightning cables have circuitry built into them to identify them as 'genuine', and all are far from equal. Simplest solution might be just to reverse the plug into the socket. Best solution appears to be use good quality cables.

Edit:- It's unusual for iOS devices to have comm's problems running DJI Go 4.

The more I browse and search -- the more I read and the more I get concerned. Ha! Nobody ever said if this was resolved by DJI so I'm adding to favorites.
2018-12-21
Use props
rubenscastro
lvl.1
Brazil

slyd Posted at 2018-12-21 15:23
I have a Spark (had it for about 10 months) that has not let me down until a few days ago.  It is a Fly-More package and have been using it with an iPad Air.  No issues what ever until a few days ago.  It just would not connect to the iPad.  I have spent countless hours trying  to resolve this issue. I have considered re-installing the DJI Go app but I doubt it would resolve the issue.  After reading all the posts on various forums etc. I have come to the conclusion that DJI does not know what to do to resolve this issue.  The only way I could connect to the iPad is with a OTG cable that I have never used in the past.  If anybody as resolved this issue could you kindly let me know what the solution is?  Thanks.

Same thing here, I own a Spark for 10 months now and it never gave me any problems until a few days ago. I used to connect it to an iPad Mini using a regular lightning cable + a female USB to micro usb adaptor.

It seems like the controller just stopped recognizing the adaptor, it won't even connect to my Galaxy S8 using the regular USB-C cable + the adaptor.

The only way I'm able to fly it is by connecting my phone to the RC's wifi. Just ordered a different OTG cable and it should be here in a few days, I'll let y'all now if it works.
2019-1-5
Use props
rubenscastro
lvl.1
Brazil

Quick update: the OTG cable arrived and now the iPad mini works just fine.

This is the cable I got:
https://produto.mercadolivre.com ... hone-_JM?quantity=1

This is what I used to have (used to connect a regular lightning cable on this adaptor):
https://produto.mercadolivre.com ... b-fmea-pendrive-_JM

It works now with the OTG (lightning to micro usb cable), make sure you connect the lightning end first.
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules