This is why I always do a pre-flight inspection!
2360 22 2017-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

My Mavic Pro has over 233 miles on it since I bought it last month. I backed it into a low bush at very low speed and very low altitude a couple of weeks ago. I actually take very good care of it! I also do a full pre-flight inspection before every flight. Thankfully, my diligence paid off today, and I caught this. This could have ended in disaster! This was the front-left propeller.

6A3D4F61-188E-46DC-AF02-9314CDDF4128.jpeg
2017-11-18
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I do a pre and post inspection. I'm anal like that lol
2017-11-18
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-11-18 15:42

Me too, actually!
2017-11-18
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

What specifically do you check pre/post flight? Do you have checklist or something you do from memory?
2017-11-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check all settings, check over aircraft props,gimbal, Rth height home point. Everything. Safety first.
2017-11-18
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-18 17:43
What specifically do you check pre/post flight? Do you have checklist or something you do from memory?

I do it from memory and it's usually a top-down inspection:

Physical inspection of the aircraft -
  • Check battery firmly attached
  • Check Mavic battery level by pressing button on battery
  • Check RC battery level
  • Check props for damage
  • Check props for tightness
  • Check for cracks in arms/joints
  • Check gimbal
  • Check ND filter
  • Check sensors for dirt *

Check general settings page in DJI Go 4 app -
  • Check Mavic battery level in the app
  • Check for warnings on startup
  • Check WB
  • Check video resolution *
  • Check frame rate
  • Check shutter speed
  • Check photo size *
  • Format SD card if necessary *
  • Check Home Point on map
  • Check RTH altitude *
  • Check loss of signal action (hover, RTH etc) *

* = Usually only done before first flight

The entire checklist takes maybe 30 seconds to complete.

2017-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008

Here’s mine some commercial requirements in it so it might seem a bit heavy.
2017-11-19
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Must have hit a bug with a flak vest on. Nasty bit of damage there and sure to effect flight performance.
2017-11-19
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-18 17:43

Memory mainly and after it is in the air i check the lights. Doesn't take that long. and when it comes back i look at everything all over again. Some times i need to clean the props from bug guts lol
2017-11-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good for you. I agree I do the same because its the responsible thing to do. It'll save your copter, other potential problems and your wallet.
2017-11-19
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Interesting that the crack is on the trailing edge of the blade!

I basically do the same pre-flight check as Jyunte posted. In addition, after I am airborn and 10 meters up (to let Mavic record RTH point), I hover and check all directional movements: bank left/right, tilt forward/back, yaw left right, 1m descent.
2017-11-19
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think there is a lesson to be learned here, always check pre and post flights.
2017-11-19
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-11-19 03:07
I do it from memory and it's usually a top-down inspection:

Physical inspection of the aircraft -

This is a great list! A very helpful. Thanks for sharing!
2017-11-19
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-19 03:23
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=119776&fromuid=260008

Here’s mine some commercial requirements in it so it might seem a bit heavy.

Thank you hallmark007. That's a very detailed list and comprehensive list.
2017-11-19
Use props
fans94879dc2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 378415 ft
United States

Absolutely agee on doing flight checks but I don’t think that particular issue is that big of a deal, more of a replace soon thing. I have completed full flights somehow acquiring that damage during the flight and nothing happened. On RC  helicopters/planes I have seen some really beat up props/blades and have only seen one spectacular prop failure when a wood prop exploded mid flight.

If the fault tolerance is so low that a tiny crack on the trailing edge of a very, very, thin prop is enough to down a mavic these things would be falling out of the sky left and right.
2017-11-19
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

I did read quiet a few time that its good to check that the battery is firmly attached and some mavic might have crashed because the battery wasnt attached properly.  I tried to turn on the mavic without the battery being in place and it wouldnt power on, i am a little bit surprised by this in between mode..
2017-11-19
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-11-19 07:08
Interesting that the crack is on the trailing edge of the blade!

I basically do the same pre-flight check as Jyunte posted. In addition, after I am airborn and 10 meters up (to let Mavic record RTH point), I hover and check all directional movements: bank left/right, tilt forward/back, yaw left right, 1m descent.

I can't think why the propeller would crack at the trailing edge.... Unless it's just from constant flexing due to the vortexes created by the trailing edge? Though I do like the idea of the bug wearing a Kevlar vest!!
2017-11-19
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Common sense surely?
2017-11-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Do you also track or log the distance during use of the MP? or maintenance log as part of the checklist process?
2017-11-19
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-19 16:40
Do you also track or log the distance during use of the MP? or maintenance log as part of the checklist process?

On my phone, I use Evernote to keep track of each battery's capacity, how long the flight time is, and the ending battery percentage. Say I usually get 17 minutes of flight time and still have 37% battery left, but then notice my flight time is decreasing to less than 17 minutes, or, after 17 minutes I'm hitting only 20% battery remaining, I have some data to compare and see what's going on. I don't update this information every flight, it's just a snapshot in time. My log also tells me how many times each battery has been charged (taken from the DJI Go 4 app battery page). Distance is tracked by the DJI Go 4 app flight logs. Today, I flew one flight of 4.5 miles (2.25 miles in each direction... The target was MUCH further than I thought it was - thankfully there was no wind at all, and I landed with 40% battery remaining), another of just over 2 miles, and a third flight of about 3 miles.
2017-11-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-11-19 18:52
On my phone, I use Evernote to keep track of each battery's capacity, how long the flight time is, and the ending battery percentage. Say I usually get 17 minutes of flight time and still have 37% battery left, but then notice my flight time is decreasing to less than 17 minutes, or, after 17 minutes I'm hitting only 20% battery remaining, I have some data to compare and see what's going on. I don't update this information every flight, it's just a snapshot in time. My log also tells me how many times each battery has been charged (taken from the DJI Go 4 app battery page). Distance is tracked by the DJI Go 4 app flight logs. Today, I flew one flight of 4.5 miles (2.25 miles in each direction... The target was MUCH further than I thought it was - thankfully there was no wind at all, and I landed with 40% battery remaining), another of just over 2 miles, and a third flight of about 3 miles.

Seems like that app organizes data nicely to compare or make adjustments as needed. Important I think, to keep track of the maintenance, especially those batteries/props.
2017-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-20 06:07
Seems like that app organizes data nicely to compare or make adjustments as needed. Important I think, to keep track of the maintenance, especially those batteries/props.

5. Shutdown Check       
        Aircraft Battery        Off
        "Safe"        Announce

Airframe        Undamaged
        Propellers        Undamaged
        Motors        Rotating Free & Temp
        Camera/Gimbal        Checked
        Logbook        Recorded
        ATC        Advise

2017-11-20
Use props
DocAraxá