Canada

For the dollar what do u think are the best ND Filters for our Mavics
2017-11-18
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

I have the Polar Pro and they are "perfect" in my eyes.
You can leave them on, much better build quality then DJI's.
Better Quality and result also.

2017-11-18
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Polar Pro all the way. Quality, the fit and the quality of the glass used.
2017-11-19
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I have the DJI ones, they are fine if not a little overpriced for what they are.
2017-11-19
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

I'm planning on getting PolarPros. A lot of people also use Taco-RC ND filters here as well, so worth checking those out too.
2017-11-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have SANDMARC ND filters. Amazing quality filters that are easily installed on the MP.
2017-11-19
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

After looking at the Polar Pro ND filters, I notice some indicate they pass through gimbal initialization. Does that mean that with other ND filters you should let the gimbal go through initialization before putting the filter on the camera?
2017-11-19
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-19 13:49
After looking at the Polar Pro ND filters, I notice some indicate they pass through gimbal initialization. Does that mean that with other ND filters you should let the gimbal go through initialization before putting the filter on the camera?

Sort of, if you got the initialization error while having them on, you'll need to switch off, remove them first then put it back on after the startup process, kinda tedious and risky for the gimbal while it's powered on. I'm using some cheap ($23.xx IIRC) YC filters set 2-5 f-stop (nd4/8/16/32), no initialization or color cast issues, shoots well at +1,0,0, d-cinelike, 1/60, 30fps.
2017-11-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-19 13:49

The first generation of Polar Pros for the Mavic were too large / didn't fit snugly enough and would block the gimbal from part of the range of movement it goes through during initialization. So Polar Pro's workaround -- until they came out with a new and improved version that didn't have this problem -- was to tell people to only apply the filters after powering on the aircraft and waiting for gimbal initialization to complete.

As far as I know, none of the major brands currently on the market still has that initialization problem, so no, it isn't necessary with other brands either. And from all reports that I've seen, Polar Pro was -- and to the best of my knowledge still is -- very good about addressing any problems or concerns related to their products and it has been a long time since I've heard anyone complain about any of their stuff.
2017-11-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

There are some other threads on this topic, including this one. The only ones I'd probably caution someone against are the older DJI set because there were many reports of them cracking despite careful handling. They may have improved the design but just the same I'd probably recommend avoiding them and paying a little more for a different set. For example, DJI just recently started offering these, and I can say from personal experience that the Taco-RC filters work very well.
2017-11-19
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-11-19 14:32
Sort of, if you got the initialization error while having them on, you'll need to switch off, remove them first then put it back on after the startup process, kinda tedious and risky for the gimbal while it's powered on. I'm using some cheap ($23.xx IIRC) YC filters set 2-5 f-stop (nd4/8/16/32), no initialization or color cast issues, shoots well at +1,0,0, d-cinelike, 1/60, 30fps.

Thanks for the informatio Nazar78!
2017-11-20
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-19 15:57
The first generation of Polar Pros for the Mavic were too large / didn't fit snugly enough and would block the gimbal from part of the range of movement it goes through during initialization. So Polar Pro's workaround -- until they came out with a new and improved version that didn't have this problem -- was to tell people to only apply the filters after powering on the aircraft and waiting for gimbal initialization to complete.

As far as I know, none of the major brands currently on the market still has that initialization problem, so no, it isn't necessary with other brands either. And from all reports that I've seen, Polar Pro was -- and to the best of my knowledge still is -- very good about addressing any problems or concerns related to their products and it has been a long time since I've heard anyone complain about any of their stuff.

Thanks for the detailed response DroneFlying. I'm in the process of trying to determine what to buy and this is helpful.
2017-11-20
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

the new ND for mavic is much better
http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-nd-filters-set-new
2017-11-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-19 16:04
There are some other threads on this topic, including this one. The only ones I'd probably caution someone against are the older DJI set because there were many reports of them cracking despite careful handling. They may have improved the design but just the same I'd probably recommend avoiding them and paying a little more for a different set. For example, DJI just recently started offering these, and I can say from personal experience that the Taco-RC filters work very well.

I bought the cheaper DJI ND's when the first came out and handled them very gently - despite that the ND8 split in half just taking it off the camera... I bought a new set a couple of weeks ago and they detach from the camera much easier and I have used all 3 on several occasions without any problems (touch wood). So from my personal experience they do seem to have improved and are the lightest and cheapest option. Thats said, the polar pro cinema series are excellent quality even if they are 2.5 times the price. I always find my image looks better on the Mavic with no ND filter at all though so I try not use them where I can.
2017-11-20
Use props
Forgottenworld
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72057 ft
Australia

I am using sandmarc filter easy to fit and remove highly recommend  them
2017-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules