[POLL] Which drone failsafe product would you like to see?
898 6 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ePjkvUR
New

Australia

POLL: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/53CBPCW
Hey there!

Thanks for taking the time to click on my thread!

For my final year in school, I'm undertaking Design and Technology as one of my 12 unit courses in Australia.

The Major Design Project requires me to come up with an innovation of some type so I thought, since my hobby and passion lies in aviation and drones, I thought why not come up with something that would help improve the 'quality-of-life' for all drone users?

This poll that I've created has got a few ideas that I've come up with that I may be able to make for my major design project.

If you don't mind, I would really find it helpful if you could spare a minute of your time to complete the poll! (literally a minute)...

If you have any other innovations or ideas that you'd like to see, please leave in a comment below or in the 'Other' box in the poll.

P.S The innovation will first be used on a Phantom 3 Standard for trial then if successful, I may create universal gear / equipment that suits all drones.

Once again,

thanks a lot for taking your time to read this!

2017-11-19
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi djiuser_ePjkvUR, or is it Wilson_! ?

I use a Marco Polo RC Model Recovery Tracking System, its expensive but gives me piece of mind. This might be starting point for something even more innovative or drone specific.

Well if you are going to make two threads about it I feel I can get more points too.
2017-11-19
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 410499 ft
United States

A parachute for use in case of in flight loss of power or equipment failure.  Sort of like on the Cirrus SR-22.

In my case it wouldn't do much good since I usually fly over water, but when I'm not...
2017-11-19
Use props
Wilson_!
New

Australia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-19 08:49
Hi djiuser_ePjkvUR, or is it Wilson_! ?

I use a Marco Polo RC Model Recovery Tracking System, its expensive but gives me piece of mind. This might be starting point for something even more innovative or drone specific.

Hi Dockater,

Thanks for the reply!

It's Wilson_! but I'm not sure how to change it from that hideous ePjkvUR name!

Anyways, I had a look into the Polo RC Model Recovery and I'll take it into consideration despite the hefty cost!

Perhaps I can make a more affordable one alongside with a GPS App or some sort

Thanks for your feedback!
2017-11-19
Use props
Wilson_!
New

Australia

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-11-19 09:16
A parachute for use in case of in flight loss of power or equipment failure.  Sort of like on the Cirrus SR-22.

In my case it wouldn't do much good since I usually fly over water, but when I'm not...

Hi Antares Fortune,

Thanks for your reply.

The parachute's aim was to protect it from free-falling when flying over land.

However, your response prompted me that maybe I can combine both the inflatable airbag (on the bottom of drone) and the parachute so when flying over water, the drone has two failsafe mechanisms.

Thanks a lot for your feedback
2017-11-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Mars parachute system has been around for some time now, however I personally have never heard from anyone who used one successfully. To deploy the parachute, you have to have a control signal, and also a method on the RC unit to control it, neither exist. There are 'automatic' systems, but no-one can vouch for their effectiveness. If you deploy the chute without stopping the props, the whole chute will most likely get tangled in the props, and finally, when something goes wrong on a Phantom and it falls, you have precious little time to react.
2017-11-19
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 410499 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-19 18:08
The Mars parachute system has been around for some time now, however I personally have never heard from anyone who used one successfully. To deploy the parachute, you have to have a control signal, and also a method on the RC unit to control it, neither exist. There are 'automatic' systems, but no-one can vouch for their effectiveness. If you deploy the chute without stopping the props, the whole chute will most likely get tangled in the props, and finally, when something goes wrong on a Phantom and it falls, you have precious little time to react.

Absolutely.  I was thinking of many of the same problems.  I don't really think it is feasible, but he asked.
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules