[POLL] Which failsafe drone equipment would you like to see?
1244 16 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ePjkvUR
New

Australia

POLL: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/53CBPCW
Hey there!

Thanks for taking the time to click on my thread!

For my final year in school, I'm undertaking Design and Technology as one of my 12 unit courses in Australia.

The Major Design Project requires me to come up with an innovation of some type so I thought, since my hobby and passion lies in aviation and drones, I thought why not come up with something that would help improve the 'quality-of-life' for all drone users?

This poll that I've created has got a few ideas that I've come up with that I may be able to make for my major design project.

If you don't mind, I would really find it helpful if you could spare a minute of your time to complete the poll! (literally a minute)...

If you have any other innovations or ideas that you'd like to see, please leave in a comment below or in the 'Other' box in the poll.

P.S The innovation will first be used on a Phantom 3 Standard/Adv for trial then if successful, I may create universal gear / equipment that suits all drones.

Once again,

thanks a lot for taking your time to read this!

2017-11-19
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

I would love to see an integrated FAA radar tracking chart, or some sort of arial positioning identification software that can make the pilot more aware of nearby aircraft, their position, course and speed and alert if a "head on" or "danger zone" course is determined.
2017-11-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-19 06:49
I would love to see an integrated FAA radar tracking chart, or some sort of arial positioning identification software that can make the pilot more aware of nearby aircraft, their position, course and speed and alert if a "head on" or "danger zone" course is determined.

If you need that sort of info - then my opinion is you are flying in a no-go area !!

Such function would IMHO increase the number of idiots who fly in totally unsuitable areas ... DJI have already initiated No Fly and Restricted .... keep to that and there's no need for 'Interactive Radar' as you ask.

Maybe have a word with Bruce at XJET or RCModel Reviews over on Youtube ... he's working on active warning systems .....

Nigel
2017-11-19
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-19 08:11
If you need that sort of info - then my opinion is you are flying in a no-go area !!

Such function would IMHO increase the number of idiots who fly in totally unsuitable areas ... DJI have already initiated No Fly and Restricted .... keep to that and there's no need for 'Interactive Radar' as you ask.

That is rather like saying that ABS in a car is not sensible because it means drivers will drive more in conditions that are not suitable.
2017-11-19
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi djiuser_ePjkvUR, or is it Wilson_! ?

I use a Marco Polo RC Model Recovery Tracking System, its expensive but gives me piece of mind. This might be starting point for something even more innovative or drone specific.
2017-11-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-19 08:27
That is rather like saying that ABS in a car is not sensible because it means drivers will drive more in conditions that are not suitable.

Complete and utter different context ...

Guy is basically asking for a 'warning system' if flying in airspace that may encounter full size ....

DJI already took decision to limit users flight areas ...
ABS is a totally different item as its to cater for general driving on roads and poor conditions.

Nigel
2017-11-19
Use props
EndlessOK
New
Flight distance : 284265 ft
United States

...a lightweight deployable parachute for those special occasions...not that I have encountered any of those..
2017-11-19
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-11-19 08:11

Solentlife,  Your response sounded quite paranoid and irrational.

No, I WANT TO KNOW if a life flight helicopter is flying in the area, or if police helicopter is chasing someone on the nearby highway.  Cropdusting planes?  Planes flying banners around downtown?  Low approaching aircraft to the airport 6 miles away?  The fact that you assume I violate FAA "no fly zone" rules is an insult.

I used radar navigation and ships identification for navigational avoidance and safe communication professionally for years.  I've heard the broadcasts and seen news footage of deadly collisions at sea on a regular basis whereby one person or another wasn't operating in a manner safe to the others.  Now take that safe operation to the air and let me ask you if you want crash investigators to find the remains of your UAV amidst the aircraft that you collided with and caused the deaths on board.

I can't believe you would curse an idea that allows pilots and UAV operators to all know where everyone is in the sky for safe piloting and crash avoidance is only for the sake of "violating no-fly zones".  What an absolute INSULT and ignorant point of view.
2017-11-19
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

EndlessOK Posted at 2017-11-19 09:08
...a lightweight deployable parachute for those special occasions...not that I have encountered any of those..

EndlessOK:  Actually, I have seen such a device on YouTube somewhere, bit i can't recall if it was for DJI UAVs or someone elses'.
2017-11-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-19 16:52
Solentlife,  Your response sounded quite paranoid and irrational.

No, I WANT TO KNOW if a life flight helicopter is flying in the area, or if police helicopter is chasing someone on the nearby highway.  Cropdusting planes?  Planes flying banners around downtown?  Low approaching aircraft to the airport 6 miles away?  The fact that you assume I violate FAA "no fly zone" rules is an insult.

'I can't believe you would curse an idea that allows pilots and UAV operators to all know where everyone is in the sky for safe piloting and crash avoidance is only for the sake of "violating no-fly zones".  What an absolute INSULT and ignorant point of view.'

Then please tell us technically how this can be achieved? It is fine to dream up these ideas, the hard part is implementing them. Taking the high moral ground does nothing.
2017-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-19 06:49

There's no such thing available, see here for background:  https://aviation.stackexchange.c ... ime-faa-flight-data

Perhaps you are thinking of something like:  https://www.flightradar24.com/34.49,43.31/6
But that won't help you.  It's great for passenger jets 30K feet up but most of the aircraft you are likely to encounter near your drone's airspace don't have ADSB transponders.
2017-11-19
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-19 17:55
'I can't believe you would curse an idea that allows pilots and UAV operators to all know where everyone is in the sky for safe piloting and crash avoidance is only for the sake of "violating no-fly zones".  What an absolute INSULT and ignorant point of view.'

Then please tell us technically how this can be achieved? It is fine to dream up these ideas, the hard part is implementing them. Taking the high moral ground does nothing.

Geebax, If I had that level of integrating existing technology at a recreational level, I'd be a rich man.  In my former maritime career, I've watched $20,000 pieces of equipment that use to be only available for commercial shipping vessels, now are apps that the average boat owner can have on his iPhone while he's cruising the coast.
If it can be achieved in one industry, it should eventually trickle down in the non-commercial UAV level as well... IF... the industry can prove a profit for such research and development of this kind of technology.
2017-11-19
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

How about some tech that would detect trees? It might sound silly but my and my brothers worst crashes were both because of a very small tree branch. You asked, right?
2017-11-19
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

EndlessOK:  Was this what you were talking about?

2017-11-20
Use props
Legit Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 894465 ft
United States

I took the survey! I would totally get a parachute!
2017-11-20
Use props
edifier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

the drone still came down with a bang
also in the wind the chute would drift off
just my opinion
2017-11-20
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

edifier Posted at 2017-11-20 14:30
the drone still came down with a bang
also in the wind the chute would drift off
just my opinion

Yes, certainly needs improvement.  Perhaps a larger parachute, or how about a crash "airbag" that inflates at free fall speed?  
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules