Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Titan Atlas Boosted Review
2085 9 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdf099539
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and live in a rather unusual area. I am at 700 feet elevation and my house is an open one acre lot surrounded by 5 acres of trees with a height of about 70 feet. Once clearing the trees, the elevation drops to 200 feet so any areas I am interested in looking at require me to drop below tree level.

I have been keeping the elevation to allow for radio connection, but lose all resolution and still lose connection at about 2000 feet.

I got the Atlas Titan boosted as I have used the Maxx UAV with limited success with a Phantom 4 Pro. The Maxx is a very directional system and does need a line of sight for best distance. In my case, there is no line of sight as the drone is below tree level. Having checked out my options, I decided on an omnidirectional antenna.

A quick detail of the purchase.
Purchased online through Titan Drones after a quick call to confirm this was a reasonable approach. They were great. They answered the phone and spoke to me for about 15 minutes concerning the options and my situation.

Sent off the controller for the Mavic Pro because I felt it was worth the cost to have it done by them.
Priority Mail sent on Tuesday. They got it and sent it back on Friday. In my hand on Monday.

That's a six day turnaround from in the mail to in my hands. Not bad.

I had a small issue with connecting the drone with the remote on receipt, (my error). But, I called them, they picked up and worked me through and found the issue. (the micro USB had been inserted preventing the USB connection from working.) Of interest, I got disconnected at the end of the call due to a dropped signal. They called me back, (caller ID is great). and they confirmed the issue was fixed. Five stars for customer service.

First flight, 6500 feet, over triple the distance before loss of video and remote warning of a RTH.

Second flight, equal to the first.

Was it worth the money?
You betcha.

For my needs and my area, the Titan Atlas was superior to the directional boosted Maxx UAV.

With the Maxx UAV I was never able to get over 4000 with the Phantom 4 Pro. The distance without boosting with the Phantom 4 was actually better than the Mavic Pro. But, boosting with the Titan Atlas has given me the range I need. The omni directional Titan atlas, for the situation of trees and hilly terrain does seem superior to the directional system. The scatter of the signal appears to have better pickup if using an omnidirectional system

As they say, Your mileage may vary...past performance is not indicative of future results.. pick your disclaimer...
2017-11-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

This sounds like a commercial more then a review.
2017-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Why is there all this code in your text?
2017-11-19
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-11-19 07:38

As long as it worked...Who cares. He is pointing out his experience.
2017-11-19
Use props
Maginot
lvl.1
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-11-19 07:38

I'm not certain why it sounds like a commercial.

Your response sounds a little critical and not helpful.

I investigated this option for some time before pulling the plug and purchasing the system. Having used the Maxx UAV  directional panel, I was trying to provide insight into my results using this system.

There are multiple postings noting the frustrations other have getting distances posted by others. Not everyone flies in clear and open areas. This system may afford those who are in a wooded environment and have distance limitations due to geographic issues.

The issue of "scatter" from trees and obstacles is not resolved or helped with a directional panel. An omni directional antenna may not give the maximum distance, but it will help in an obstructed area.

If this sounds like a commercial, I consider that a compliment. Any funds,money, compensation will be gladly accepted. Sadly, there has been no recompensation.  

Regarding the "coding" notations, I'm not certain. I did the original post in a notepad and copied it. The font may have been unusual for the forum.

I'll see if it can be fixed in and edit.
2017-11-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The coding is what made it seem like a commercial. Wasn’t sure what I was looking at.
2017-11-20
Use props
Maginot
lvl.1
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-11-20 05:16
The coding is what made it seem like a commercial. Wasn’t sure what I was looking at.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that a copy and paste from a notepad with a weird font resulted in the  coding issues.

First time I tried that technique.

Live and learn.
2017-11-20
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did you go for the 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz version of the Titan Atlas ?
2017-11-27
Use props
Busta1n2
New
Flight distance : 233517 ft
United States

Is it the 2.4 or 5.8?

Is it difficult to manage due to weight? I use an iPad with mine and am concerned it will be bulky.
2017-12-6
Use props
MavicMan5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398950 ft
United States

I'm Diving In

OK i'm buying the darn thing. I've read threads till my contacts feel like potato chips dipped in hot sauce LOL.
My objective is to get better than the .93 miles im getting now before loosing signal. That's the distance to my brothers house next door. One of my first flights out of the box was to his house and then auto land. The signal was good far above tree tops, but quickly deminished once i dropped into the forrest that stands between us. I will add however that there is also a power transmission line that runs parallel to my flight path and crosses his yard near my LZ. No doubt that contributes to signal lose. I've flown in the opposite direction with much better result but also maintaining a much higher altitude.
I just feel that the technology that went into the MPP along with the DJI goggles, it needs better communications capabilities. I've read posts claiming that the stock antennas are all thats needed for max round trip battery life. Ry response; thats absolutely true if you live in the flat mississippi delta surrounded by cotton fields as far as the eye can see; not a tree in sight. Fortunately for me, Im located in tennessee between the Highland Rim and Cumberland Plateau, where hills and trees are the norm; there are no wide open expanses.

In conclusion, I've purchased 2 Mavic Pro Platinum's and DJi goggles to match. I would like to fly sowhere other than my back yard. If the Titan Atlas high gain omnidirectional antenni can provide me the communications I need, and that the manufacturer boasts, then its worth the purchase. Im curious why DJI didn't add a boost system, within FCC limits of course, that kicked in when needed.

Foot note: If you havent experienced the DJI goggles, then you havent flown the mavic, you've just watched it fly

2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules