2895 45 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G Davidson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-6 16:10
Pardon my curiosity, since this issue is grabbing my attention recently.  So, you're taking a series of stills rotating your drone manually in - I assume - relatively calm weather, aiming the camera level with a horizon roughly at half the frame. Than you take another series of stills with DSLR on tripod, aiming above horizon to capture sky features. To my understanding both sequences must be taken with identical frame resolution, determined WB and rock solid apertures (i.e. full opening, in a way similar to timelapse technique?). Finally you stitch both sequences in software. I'm sure there's much more involved in the process to get such stunningly consistent image.

Would it be possible, however, to shot second drone sequence with camera aiming below horizon and get much deeper stitched panoramic view? With automatic Pano feature being implemented in Go app recently this should be no brainer, I assume, but is this assembly software able to deal with such?

The panorama shot from the drone is usually around 3 rows of 6 (horizontal row, then approx -30 and -60 degreees) which gives a full caprure from horizon to directly underneath the drone. Nothing is missed out in terms of the view from the drone - everything there is to see from that viewpoint horizontally to directly below below is captured.  Exposure wise, I try to ensure that I have exposed correctly for all parts of the image. Not as simple as it sounds where low sun is involved - I may have to blow out the sky to get the landscape correctly exposed but as long as there is enough overlap between images containing blown sky and properly exposed sky, the stitcher (Kolor Autopano Giga) will patch in the parts from the correctly exposed sky. As I have an orginal P4 without aperture control, the aerture is indeed fixed but had I had a P4 pro, I would have locked the aperture.

I generally lock WB to “sunny” on both the Phantom and the DSLR and shoot the DSLR sky image with manual exposure (usually around 1/250s f7 @ ISO 64)

Everything is shot in RAW which gives more latitude to tweak exposure before feeding the imagery into the stitcher. The stitcher is tolerant of differing exposures per image (within limits) and will generally try to optimise exposure across the whole panorama.

I only shoot 6 photos from the DSLR using a 10.5mm fisheye. That does mean that there will be a difference in focal length between the panoramas but it does not matter The resolution of the upper and lower half of the images are not the same but get resized to fit the pano horizontally.

I do prefer fairly calm conditions to limit what moves between shots but there are ways to mitigate any movement e.g. all those wind turbines were spinning - it was necessary to make sure that overlapped parts of the wind turbines contained complete turbines so that the stitcher could run the stitching seams between the turbines without cropping off blades that move between shots or indeed seeing 6 blade turbines   

You’ll see that my shooting style does not lend itself well to an automated process as I’m deciding exposure and composition per shot based on what I know will make life easier in the stitcher. However, when it comes to coastal shots with lots of sea - all bets are off
2018-1-7
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2018-1-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2018-1-7 00:05
The panorama shot from the drone is usually around 3 rows of 6 (horizontal row, then approx -30 and -60 degreees) which gives a full caprure from horizon to directly underneath the drone. Nothing is missed out in terms of the view from the drone - everything there is to see from that viewpoint horizontally to directly below below is captured.  Exposure wise, I try to ensure that I have exposed correctly for all parts of the image. Not as simple as it sounds where low sun is involved - I may have to blow out the sky to get the landscape correctly exposed but as long as there is enough overlap between images containing blown sky and properly exposed sky, the stitcher (Kolor Autopano Giga) will patch in the parts from the correctly exposed sky. As I have an orginal P4 without aperture control, the aerture is indeed fixed but had I had a P4 pro, I would have locked the aperture.

I generally lock WB to “sunny” on both the Phantom and the DSLR and shoot the DSLR sky image with manual exposure (usually around 1/250s f7 @ ISO 64)

Oh, now we're talking! I had no idea how the viewer really works. Now I can grab and pull the image to see right below or above. Wow! The stitching software seems to do miracles averaging all input imagery, no matter how professionally captured ...

Thank you for more detailed explanation of your work flow. Some aspects, i.e. publishing the pano image, still remains a mystery to me. I'll be on your back for a while ...
2018-1-7
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-7 17:23
Oh, now we're talking! I had no idea how the viewer really works. Now I can grab and pull the image to see right below or above. Wow! The stitching software seems to do miracles averaging all input imagery, no matter how professionally captured ...

Thank you for more detailed explanation of your work flow. Some aspects, i.e. publishing the pano image, still remains a mystery to me. I'll be on your back for a while ...

Ahh.... I wonder if you’re not in the minority and my failure to mention that the images can be scrolled around to any view has deprived many of the full experience!  I’ll maybe need to mention that fnow on!

The stitcher is indeed working a degree of magic to balance exposures so well.  On rare occasions, usually overcast days, I have to use a custom made lens profile for my P4 to get rid of vignetting in the sky. I try to avoid those kind of days as the images are usually bleak and an accurate representation of the conditions with no redeeming features for the trouble
2018-1-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2018-1-7 19:53
Ahh.... I wonder if you’re not in the minority and my failure to mention that the images can be scrolled around to any view has deprived many of the full experience!  I’ll maybe need to mention that fnow on!

The stitcher is indeed working a degree of magic to balance exposures so well.  On rare occasions, usually overcast days, I have to use a custom made lens profile for my P4 to get rid of vignetting in the sky. I try to avoid those kind of days as the images are usually bleak and an accurate representation of the conditions with no redeeming features for the trouble

True 360 panos are one thing I'll try to create, documenting spectacular places I'm exploring here in Western Canada ...

However, one specific aspect of panoramic imagery is challenging me in particular. Tiny planet effect that is. Not because it's of any value to me, don't get me wrong. It's because nobody so far was able to create truly convincing image of such kind, despite countless attempts. Two examples of this trend, bigger as being very good, smaller as typical, ridiculous, auto-generated, mediocre one ...
tiny planet_typical BS.jpg
tiny planet_propa 3.jpg
2018-1-7
Use props
G Davidson
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-7 20:23
True 360 panos are one thing I'll try to create, documenting spectacular places I'm exploring here in Western Canada ...

https://vimeo.com/238307477

Wow - beautiful scenery! I’d have a field day there

The large little planet looked great and benefits from the great altitude relative to the cloud base. Tiny planet projection has a drawback where near objects can be hugely disproportionate in size.

2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules