Forward Obstacle Sensing Not Working Especially at Night
4992 6 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cornel J
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84193 ft
United States

I'm a beginner Cinematographer and this Mavic Pro is lovely but it doesn't seem to work when I need it the most. Everytime I try to record my music video using active tracking, it doesn't work and says something about "forward obstacle sensor (or sensing) not working." I got it to work earlier today but now I'm guessing that active tracking doesn't work at night? Plus the quality of the image now has noise in it when my videos are usually flawlessly movie-like clear. It just seems to always happen when I'm serious or I need to make money off of it. I spent 30 mins trying to get the active tracking to work before I realized it wasn't going to happen. This feature would have made my music video look above flawless but now I gotta choose between getting it out now or wait to fix this issue. The settings are actually all on for all sensors but it still has the error. I'm really getting ready to send my Mavic Pro back and let them have it for my $1000 back just because of this issue. I don't want to but I realize I don't need this drone without that active tracking. I don't want to be seen in every one of my music videos holding a controller in my hand while I perform. Does anyone know how to fix this issue without taking it back? I have a hunch that maybe I need to calibrate the sensors every single time before I fly it. That true? I didn't earlier today before I decided to do my night video. This is very stressful. I financed this drone and it's not going to pay off by making my killer music videos with this thing. I'm going to end up with bad credit before this thing works properly. I need expert advice on how this can be resolved. Thanks.
2017-11-19
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

2017-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Some things to consider.
If you read the manual it states that obstacle avoidance does not work (properly) in low light. (and other situations)
The same goes for active tracking. That needs enough light (contrast actually) to work properly.
This is also stated in the manual.
Finally this camera has a tiny sensor (just like your regular phone has) so you will have to make sure you have enough light and shoot manual to control noise.
It is possible to get a decent output (just look at the many examples here), but needs careful shooting.
I'm not sure what camera's you use otherwise but chances are they have bigger sensors and better noise performance.
2017-11-19
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

Cornel J Posted at 2017-11-19 23:10
https://youtu.be/amYPBXcmM08

I redid the video.

2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-19 23:49
Some things to consider.
If you read the manual it states that obstacle avoidance does not work (properly) in low light. (and other situations)
The same goes for active tracking. That needs enough light (contrast actually) to work properly.

Yeah sorry, I didn't read the manual. I've just been looking up youtube videos on everything to do when flying in certain conditions and getting the best footage. Guess my problem was that I needed to operate the camera settings in manual and play with the ISO... The main thing is that when I look at the footage on my iphone through the app in real time, it looks fine.... I guess I have to go out of my way to capture a little bit of footage and look at it on the macbook in order to see what will give me the end result I'm needing the most.
2017-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cornel J Posted at 2017-11-20 20:27
Yeah sorry, I didn't read the manual. I've just been looking up youtube videos on everything to do when flying in certain conditions and getting the best footage. Guess my problem was that I needed to operate the camera settings in manual and play with the ISO... The main thing is that when I look at the footage on my iphone through the app in real time, it looks fine.... I guess I have to go out of my way to capture a little bit of footage and look at it on the macbook in order to see what will give me the end result I'm needing the most.

I know that feeling.
Hope you can get what you want / need out of the Mavic!
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules