Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I get a sick feeling the my Mavic would not have RTH
2376 23 2017-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cutaway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1942835 ft
United States

It's my first time my Mavic has gone haywire in 200+ flights.  Spoiler alert...happy ending.  But, so we all can learn from each other...my Mavic had 18 GPS signals, clear blue sky, VLOS, strong RC signal, normal system check at take off.

All of sudden, I get a message saying poor GPS signal and exit P-GPS mode.  The RC says it's in ATTI mode.  My mavic seems to be drifting away on it's own.

I did NOT press the RTH because it looked like the Mavic was responding to my control input.  Long story short, I flew it back and landed safely.

Reviewing the playback, it looks like the Mavic was not GPS aware.   Soooo....if I had pressed the RTH, how would it have known to RTH properly?

Exit P-GPS

Exit P-GPS
2017-11-19
Use props
NikoT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 502877 ft
Russia

Had the same situation.. It's was just interference, don't worry just be careful with places like this!
2017-11-20
Use props
NikoT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 502877 ft
Russia

To make it clear you just lost the GPS signal because of interference, your drone started to drift because of wind, for sure your RTH function doesn't work without GPS.
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

For Mavic, RTH will only work when the drone is in P-GPS mode. According to your pic, there is an magnetic interference, in this case, we will suggest user land the drone asap and fly in another place. Also, calibrate the compass if necessary.
2017-11-20
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-20 01:58
For Mavic, RTH will only work when the drone is in P-GPS mode. According to your pic, there is an magnetic interference, in this case, we will suggest user land the drone asap and fly in another place. Also, calibrate the compass if necessary.

Hi DJI Thor,

Is it fair to say that if you lose connection in ATTI mode, than you most probably will lose the drone?

Thanks
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Soooo....if I had pressed the RTH, how would it have known to RTH properly?

It wouldn't have. As you've apparently guessed, if the Mavic goes into ATTI mode -- and stays there -- it can't perform RTH. If you're interested in finding out why this happened then upload the DAT file from the flight to DropBox (or a similar service) using these instructions and post a link to it here.
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

CA Mavic Pro Posted at 2017-11-20 02:08
Hi DJI Thor,

Is it fair to say that if you lose connection in ATTI mode, than you most probably will lose the drone?

Not necessarily. The Mavic will often recover from ATTI mode on its own, and even when it doesn't it's usually possible for the pilot to fly it back as the OP did in this case.
2017-11-20
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Lebanon

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-20 03:16

Not necessarily. The Mavic will often recover from ATTI mode on its own, and even when it doesn't it's usually possible for the pilot to fly it back as the OP did in this case.

Thanks for that..
2017-11-20
Use props
gjsweeney
lvl.1
United Kingdom

NikoT Posted at 2017-11-20 00:54
Had the same situation.. It's was just interference, don't worry just be careful with places like this!

Sorry for replying to you. Im new to this forum and cant figure out how to post a message, i can only see the option to reply to current ones. Would you know the answer to a question i have. I can see you can set the drone to return to home or hover if remote becomes disconnected. If you chose hover, and then you can never connect your remote back. How do you get the drone down?
Very much appreciated
2017-11-20
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

IMHO,  every pilot should learn return manually and not depend on RTH.  Flying by sight is a skill that will  probably save your drone someday.  I've seen a couple of good tutorials on determining drone orientation visually,  Everyone  should practice that,  You don't have to be in ATTI mode.  As long as you have VLOS you should be ok.  

As for OP's  magnetic 'filed' interference - I was wondering if that actually occurred at  390 ft altitude, or was that message from earlier?
2017-11-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed. I have a saying flying is optional landing is not.
2017-11-20
Use props
Cutaway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1942835 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-11-20 05:15
IMHO,  every pilot should learn return manually and not depend on RTH.  Flying by sight is a skill that will  probably save your drone someday.  I've seen a couple of good tutorials on determining drone orientation visually,  Everyone  should practice that,  You don't have to be in ATTI mode.  As long as you have VLOS you should be ok.  

As for OP's  magnetic 'filed' interference - I was wondering if that actually occurred at  390 ft altitude, or was that message from earlier?

Thanks Griffith for your productive response.  In my review of the DAT file, it happened at the ceiling altitude 393 ft. and only 350 ft. away.   

It was just disappointing to know that the "airbag" was not going to work.   I was hoping for "dude, you got a known defect that typically happens when ..." replies.   Or some science fiction, "dude, someone drone jammed you."   

Who doesn't want confidence in their bird?  You'd expect trouble if you deliberately pushed the Mavic outside of its published envelope (hurricane, downtown NYC, X-men HQ).  

P.S. I had maintained VLOS, altitude awareness, flew it back, and landed like a bad ass experienced drone pilot.  My eyes crossed the whole time.  LOL.
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Cutaway Posted at 2017-11-20 07:01
Thanks Griffith for your productive response.  In my review of the DAT file, it happened at the ceiling altitude 393 ft. and only 350 ft. away.   

It was just disappointing to know that the "airbag" was not going to work.   I was hoping for "dude, you got a known defect that typically happens when ..." replies.   Or some science fiction, "dude, someone drone jammed you."   

I was hoping for "dude, you got a known defect that typically happens when ..." replies.   Or some science fiction, "dude, someone drone jammed you."

If you'd like to find out why your Mavic went into ATTI mode then please upload the DAT file from the flight. Apparently you've already retrieved it, so you'd just need to upload it to DropBox and provide a link to it here.
2017-11-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cutaway Posted at 2017-11-20 07:01

"I had maintained VLOS, altitude awareness, flew it back, and landed like a bad ass experienced drone pilot.  My eyes crossed the whole time."

Niiiiiiccce work bringing it back home.
2017-11-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Curious, what's the name of that App that projects that image there in # 1 post?
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-20 07:46
Curious, what's the name of that App that projects that image there in # 1 post?

Maybe I've misunderstood your question, but it appears to just be a screen capture of the Go app that was taken during a replay of his flight and was edited to cover up a portion of the map.
2017-11-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-20 07:56
Maybe I've misunderstood your question, but it appears to just be a screen capture of the Go app that was taken during a replay of his flight and was edited to cover up a portion of the map.

Thanks, I think I got it. Was trying to export an image from the app.
2017-11-20
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Agree with DF. You should post your Log file to get a better understanding of what happened.  It would benefit the whole community.
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CA Mavic Pro Posted at 2017-11-20 02:08
Hi DJI Thor,

Like DroneFlying mentioned, Mavic will attempt to recover by itself. If pilots encountered this situation, and the drone is out of visual range, try to pay attention to the attitude indicator and manually control it back.
2017-11-22
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Well done on brining the bird back home ... being able to do that must have given some confidence after the fact.  
2017-11-22
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just wait when you fly around having fun then your screen on your phone/ipad  drops and you have to reset it while flying.  When this happen don't panic and and RTH that is why it is important to make sure your home point is connected before flying away.
2017-11-22
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Lebanon

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-22 03:55
Like DroneFlying mentioned, Mavic will attempt to recover by itself. If pilots encountered this situation, and the drone is out of visual range, try to pay attention to the attitude indicator and manually control it back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9PGfLXEsI

Thanks for that...
2017-11-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

When this happens, calmly look at the map in the lower corner, turn your mavic toward the home point and follow the green line back. That sounds easy but it’s not when someone in this situation hits the “panic button”
2017-11-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

My pleasure, should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules