Lost Mavic... Disconnected mid flight attempting to land
1461 18 2017-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67431 ft
United States

I flew my drone on a fairly windy day. I am quite comfortable flying it so I was confident. About halfway through the flight, I believe I hit something (most likely a bird) as my drone spun a bunch and did flips. When it recovered it was only letting me fly one way. I tried to land but as my drone had gotten to 20% and 19 satellites my drone just decided to disconnect. I had a complete line of sight as I was on the montain top, I knew roughly where it was and even though it was far away there was nothing in my sight that could have blocked it. I do know it was my fault It had gotten away, however, it should've been a routine landing but it had gotten disconnected from my controller. I went right over to where my drone last was to try and reconnect but I had hoped it had continued landing. I should've been able to go and retrieve the drone instead of it disconnecting and not knowing where it had actually landing because alot could've happened during that 14% of battery life.  I looked where the last coordinates were with the find my drone but I couldn’t find anything. I believe that this wasn’t my fault and I’m not sure what to do. I spent a whole summer saving up for this to lose it so I don't think I will ever be able to get a new one which saddens me as I had grown to love it in the short time I had it. I'm not sure what DJI will think about it but hopefully they will be a little sympathetic for this as it was my dream to have one of these drones and then I had lost it. If DJI can provide me with better coordinates since GPS should've still been active maybe I can go and find it but without that I don't know what I'm going to do.

2017-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you put up your flight log here. Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link. It might give you a better understanding of what happened.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Q6ELNZM7LH7BMP6X7EVP/ I have looked through the log before and I just couldn't figure out why I lost connection and as well as why my rth wasn't working. Also, does it seem possible I hit a bird?
2017-11-20
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

That sucks sorry for your loss.i hope you can get it figured out. I know sometimes when i fly some big birds get attracted to drone and i sometimes even stop flying cause they wont leave the area
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 2017-11-20 14:42
That sucks sorry for your loss.i hope you can get it figured out. I know sometimes when i fly some big birds get attracted to drone and i sometimes even stop flying cause they wont leave the area

Thanks, yeah its truly sad as I just started to fall in love with the drone. Hopefully, I can get it all worked out.
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, yeah its truly sad as I just started to fall in love with the drone. Hopefully, I can get it all worked out.
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

djiuser_DGi4vtO Posted at 2017-11-20 14:45

This thread is for your flight, isn't it?
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-20 14:55
This thread is for your flight, isn't it?

Yes, the only reason I posted on two was because when I orginally posted, it only posted as a draft on this so im like since I'm getting no likes on here, I'll post on Mavicpilots. I just reposted this as I thought these forms were like only people that worked at dji. If you're not supposed to post on both I can delete one, I just didn't know. Sorry
2017-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_DGi4vtO Posted at 2017-11-20 14:45

You need to upload your log first that link is just back to phantomhelp page.
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-20 15:10
You need to upload your log first that link is just back to phantomhelp page.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Q6ELNZM7LH7BMP6X7EVP/ it works for me?
2017-11-20
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

djiuser_DGi4vtO Posted at 2017-11-20 15:07
Yes, the only reason I posted on two was because when I orginally posted, it only posted as a draft on this so im like since I'm getting no likes on here, I'll post on Mavicpilots. I just reposted this as I thought these forms were like only people that worked at dji. If you're not supposed to post on both I can delete one, I just didn't know. Sorry

Absolutely not no need to be sorry, many members here post on many different forums at the same time, the more eyes you have on a problem the better. Sorry for your loss, maybe DJI will give you a 30% discount on the purchase of a new one, they have done this before.
2017-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You are right to post whether this was a malfunction or your unfortunate error it helps other users to be aware how things can go wrong.

I have looked at your log but I’m afraid I can’t add anything to what those on MP said, you should start a case with dji and let them be the final jury on this as Quadkid said they may well offer you a discount on a replacement Mavic .

There are plenty of mods around here who will help you with your case.

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”

Good luck.
2017-11-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I wasn't implying that you can't post on both; I just wanted to make sure it was the same flight since it looks like some analysis has already been done on the other forum.

In any case, I believe DJI will want you to sync your flights with their server and open a case. Good luck.

2017-11-20
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

First of all sorry for your lost bird.

As I see this there are few mistake which you make.
1. Flying in strong wind is newer a smart  thing to do.
2. Fly out with tail wind in narrow wally on a windy  day make it not easier for the bird to go home.
3. Setting your RTH altitude to 1308 ft is not smart. There is likely more wind there.
4. Pressing RTH button once is RTH. Pressing it again will cancel RTH. You canceled RTH few times.
living in mountain area here in Iceland with strong wind we learn it quickly to be careful if it's windy.
Your best chance to  save your AC was to land it as the wind was to strong to RTH.
One thing which I don't know is what happen if as in your case RTH altitude is more than max altitude.
As this is now you set the  RTH altitude always in meters not feet which is dumb if you use Imperial in your settings.

2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

Yes, I realized it was meter not feet after the fact. Why i kept cancelling it was because it was bringing it up to 1308 ft to fly it back which if you see on the wind charts was 40mph winds. When I took off it was only 10 mph and when I tried returning to home it brought it up wayyy too high in the wind. I do believe I hit something though because I couldn't fly at all in any direction other than the way the wind was blowing. I tried to land but it wasn't easy, and I think I would've been able to land it safely if it hand landed or even crashed but given me the actual lat and long of where it had, but instead it disconnected before it fully landed and that is why I couldn't find it. Another thing, normally it is set at max 399ft altitude limit but it must have somehow changed to imperial which really hurt as well. That must be the same for the distance. Thank you for helping point these out to me though.
2017-11-20
Use props
djiuser_DGi4vtO
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-20 16:31
I wasn't implying that you can't post on both; I just wanted to make sure it was the same flight since it looks like some analysis has already been done on the other forum.

In any case, I believe DJI will want you to sync your flights with their server and open a case. Good luck.

I had started a case from DJI, I just wasn't sure if anyone would know anymore here than on Mavicpilots, thank you though.
2017-11-20
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

djiuser_DGi4vtO Posted at 2017-11-20 17:04
Yes, I realized it was meter not feet after the fact. Why i kept cancelling it was because it was bringing it up to 1308 ft to fly it back which if you see on the wind charts was 40mph winds. When I took off it was only 10 mph and when I tried returning to home it brought it up wayyy too high in the wind. I do believe I hit something though because I couldn't fly at all in any direction other than the way the wind was blowing. I tried to land but it wasn't easy, and I think I would've been able to land it safely if it hand landed or even crashed but given me the actual lat and long of where it had, but instead it disconnected before it fully landed and that is why I couldn't find it. Another thing, normally it is set at max 399ft altitude limit but it must have somehow changed to imperial which really hurt as well. That must be the same for the distance. Thank you for helping point these out to me though.

The RTH altitude is always set in meters not feet also if you use Imperial and all other settings are set in feet. That was what I think is dumb. It would bee much better if all settings were in feet or meters, not mixed like this.
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_DGi4vtO Posted at 2017-11-20 17:06
I had started a case from DJI, I just wasn't sure if anyone would know anymore here than on Mavicpilots, thank you though.

Really sorry to hear about your loss, have you heard things back from our support? For the last disconnect place, please check the flight records on the DJI GO 4 app of this accident, check the take-off point, pull the progress bar to the end if it is right, then you can see the location of the last signal of your drone. Try to find your drone there. Hope you can retrieve the drone back.
2017-11-20
Use props
alecela
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37024 ft
Hong Kong

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-20 15:20
Absolutely not no need to be sorry, many members here post on many different forums at the same time, the more eyes you have on a problem the better. Sorry for your loss, maybe DJI will give you a 30% discount on the purchase of a new one, they have done this before.

Ouch... I had a similar tragic incidents a few weeks ago and DJI only offered 15% discount on replacement!  
2017-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules