My Phantom 2 Vision + finally made itself useful!
1245 9 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

Saturday morning a member of our flying club, Kenny, told me that he lost a plane in the woods West of our flying club field on Friday morning.  It is a model of a Kawasaki pre-WWII Japanese Army Biplane with about a 90 inch wing span and two-stroke gasoline engine.  He thought maybe the receiver battery went dead, he had just lost control.  The gas engine was still idling, the plane was just kind of mushing down in a slight nose up attitude, and slowly went down below the treeline which starts about 150 to 200 yards West of our North-South runway.

Kenny told me that he spent several hours looking for it Friday afternoon, to no avail.  He was going to look for it Saturday as well, but I had to leave the field and head home with things I had to do, so I couldn't stay and help.  I did offer to help early Sunday (today), and would bring my quad with camera to help with the search.  He did not call me Saturday evening, so I knew he had not found it.

So this morning I went out early, and put the bird up right around sunrise.  No one else was around, so I just sent it out about 600 hundred to 1000 feet to the general area he had pointed out Saturday.  I got my bearings between a couple of lakes and I-95, and using Course Lock I started making East-West passes making my way to the North.  I made a few passes, but figured I would bring it in before using too much battery, and wait for Kenny to show up.

The cloudy sky made for pretty good ability to see my smartphone, but it's still a small screen.  I had grabbed my laptop this morning to take with me, so I figured I'd take a look on the larger screen at the video I'd shot.

Well a minute or so into the flight I saw in the video something that "could" be a plane, which is the first picture, which is a screen shot from the video. About that time Kenny showed up, and he was really excited and sure that the object was his plane.

So we sent the bird back out, using a bend in the lake shore and a sandy area on the ground for reference.  Lo and behold, there it was, you can see it in the picture taken by the Vision + camera.  It's resting in the top of a tree.

We walked out through woods and found it nestled perfectly 15 to 20 feet up in a pine tree like someone had gently laid it in there.  It was difficult to see and find from the ground, even though we knew right where it was.  Kenny even pointed out brush nearby he had cut with his machete.   He had walked within 30 or 40 feet of the tree several times.  But this is Florida, and the woods grow thick.

Needing to leave for church, I left a thankful Kenny there planning the retrieval, which I'm sure has occured by now.

I had often thought my Phantom might useful for finding a lost plane, and now it has.  Cool!

Maybe a plane?

Maybe a plane?
Kenny's plane in tree.JPG
2015-4-12
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Now that is freakin awesome!
Glad you saved a rare species!
2015-4-12
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

Wow! Very, very cool!

He certainly owes you a beer or three!
2015-4-12
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jamie,

That was really neat! Great story and I bet that plane wasn't cheap either. Kenny must be very grateful!

Jerry
2015-4-12
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Jamie that's pretty cool. How often do planes fly off? I have been thinking about attaching my Trackimo to the S15e.
2015-4-12
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Way to go!  That is excellent.  Glad you found the plane.  Hope your friend did not fall out of the tree recovering it.
2015-4-12
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I wonder if he would have ever found it.
2015-4-12
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

That's awesome! I imagine he was very great full for that!
2015-4-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Knowing people who have lost RC airplanes that is great.
2015-4-12
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Well done!!

A great positive story!!

Yug
2015-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now