DJI Spark fell from the sky
2746 25 2017-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
floraliberte
New

Australia

Hi fellow drone enthusiasts,

I am devastated. I wanted to do my second flight on the same location today. (Nice day, calm breeze) I flew 24 m straight forward over a cliffs edge and then the spark fell out of the sky. The battery was full and the drone was still in sight. We were able to recover it, it dropped into a shallow saltwater rockpool, we rinsed it in freshwater and now its in a bowl of rice. How could that happen? I thought with all these safety mechanisms something like that won't happen. I don't know if the spark will survive that, but the battery is definitely gone. It has already a green layer on the contacts.

We assume that the battery could dropped out even though we 've heard the click-noise and the battery was definitely firmly fixed.

Has anybody ever experienced something similar?

Cheers!
Flora
2017-11-20
Use props
floraliberte
New

Australia

2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Feel sad about the accident. I would not recommend you use the drone which dropped into the water. Please contact our support and start a case first: http://www.dji.com/support. We would try to help you locate the problem. Thanks for your support.  
2017-11-20
Use props
floraliberte
New

Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-20 18:27
Feel sad about the accident. I would not recommend you use the drone which dropped into the water. Please contact our support and start a case first: http://www.dji.com/support. We would try to help you locate the problem. Thanks for your support.

Done. It's case number 842482.
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

floraliberte Posted at 2017-11-20 18:48
Done. It's case number 842482.

Thanks for the update. If you have any doubt, please contact us.
2017-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want to you can put up your log here it might help find out why this happened.

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-21
Use props
floraliberte
New

Australia

http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/32Z4ZV7QYDTUYKRGJAG8/

Here's the link. Thank you!
2017-11-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-21 11:42
If you want to you can put up your log here it might help find out why this happened.

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link

Now for me with my still limited experience this is really either a big mystery, or a clear falling out of the battery, especially seeing the very short flight duration without any error message at all. Or seeing the location, another bird impact... Really don't know but I trust that hallmark007 might be able to tell you more.
2017-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-21 13:30
Now for me with my still limited experience this is really either a big mystery, or a clear falling out of the battery, especially seeing the very short flight duration without any error message at all. Or seeing the location, another bird impact... Really don't know but I trust that hallmark007 might be able to tell you more.

There’s very little flight log here usually when this happens battery could be a problem but at end of flight battery looks fine, but I think there is some log missing just a small piece.

I would say it’s power failure. Right at the end of log you will see 100% throttle and 100% pitch forward this has caused battery failure in some P4Pro . I don’t know if this was the problem but have seen this cause power cut in the past. It’s definitely not OP’s fault this is definitely some kind of malfunction.

One thing I would ask , was battery still on AC when it crashed down.
2017-11-21
Use props
fans898c2c83
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168724 ft
Australia

When we recovered the drone the battery laid right next to the spark. By the way the only thing my Phone told me was "lost video connection" at first I thought it would RTH.
2017-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans898c2c83 Posted at 2017-11-21 14:23
When we recovered the drone the battery laid right next to the spark. By the way the only thing my Phone told me was "lost video connection" at first I thought it would RTH.

If it was right beside your spark then it just came out on impact, this is normal and shows that it was correctly inserted.
Anyway I have tried to loosely insert battery and couldn’t get it to power on so this is not likely to have happened.
I would say this is a warranty problem. Good luck.
2017-11-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

It's good that you have opened a support case with DJI already and that you have been able to retrieve your Spark. Next step will probably be to send it in for further check, but this might lead to a good outcome.
2017-11-21
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

OP, what version of firmware you have?
2017-11-22
Use props
djiuser_pvL0b29
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks hallmark and wachtberger I will inform you how DJI responds to my case. They are looking through my flightrecord and my cached video at the moment.
2017-11-22
Use props
djiuser_pvL0b29
lvl.1
Australia

I don't know which number, but it is the newest one with the sphere photos.
2017-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_pvL0b29 Posted at 2017-11-22 11:50
Thanks hallmark and wachtberger  I will inform you how DJI responds to my case. They are looking through my flightrecord and my cached video at the moment.

Your welcome, good luck.
2017-11-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

djiuser_pvL0b29 Posted at 2017-11-22 11:50
Thanks hallmark and wachtberger  I will inform you how DJI responds to my case. They are looking through my flightrecord and my cached video at the moment.

I also keep my fingers crossed!
2017-11-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

First view of user file analysis program  
cheers
Hans
test.jpg
2017-11-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-22 12:39
First view of user file analysis program  
cheers
Hans

Looks interesting, could you kindly further explain?
2017-11-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-22 12:46
Looks interesting, could you kindly further explain?

Hi Wachtberger,

Ofocurse ; trying to make a window based version wich import data *.csv file with few options to make it more clear to users what is happening during a flight. Export to Excel for displaying few graphs.

One mod is to show the compas heading in a 360 format, another is not show data when there is no user input at the RC controls. Thinking for more usefull changes.

Hope to have the beta version ready end of this year.

cheers Hans
2017-11-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-22 23:53
Hi Wachtberger,

Ofocurse ; trying to make a window based version wich import data *.csv file with few options to make it more clear to users what is happening during a flight. Export to Excel for displaying few graphs.

Fantastic project!
2017-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2017-11-22 23:53
Hi Wachtberger,

Good job...
2017-11-23
Use props
djiuser_pvL0b29
lvl.1
Australia

hi everyone,

I have news regarding my drone crash. DJI classified the crash as a warranty case and gave me a 100% Coupon for a new Spark. I am very happy that I'll get a new Spark. Despite that I still don't now what caused the crash and I hope it won't happen again with my new drone.

Thanks everyone and a nice day!
Flora
2017-11-27
Use props
Racer83L
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1431014 ft
  • >>>
United States

love to hear that they took care of you.  didn't seem like it took too long either.   
2017-11-28
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Awesome that they are replacing your aircraft. Good thing you were able to recover it.

Sad to see that DJI can't seem to fix this problem. I was hoping that they had fixed the issue but obviously not. I'm not going to spend any more money on an aircraft that I can't fly with confidence over the water.

Good luck with the new AC!!!
2017-12-3
Use props
fans6f4c4b0e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 157766 ft
South Africa

Hi Iam suffering the same, my spark is nearly 8months old, 3days ago my spark started acting wired, not holding altitude and making a noise during flight that can only be described as loss of power and regaining power to hold altitude,
Yesterday I had my spark serviced and DJI service is not cheap,
I was told 2motors may be unbalanced and 2were replaced,
The next day(today) first flight since service and my drone fell out of the sky from 75meters.

Iam damaged like spark,
Help
2019-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules