Does the Phantom 3 require web access in order to fly?
21191 16 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lee321
lvl.1

United States

I just read a comment on a Phantom 3 article at the RC Geeks site saying that the Phantom 3 requires that you have web access in order to fly it and it will not even start if the latest updates have not been applied.  The commenter asked if someone could confirm that and, as yet, no one has replied.  Is that true?

2015-4-12
Use props
tabbe
lvl.2

Finland

There is no indication that this true, people are just messing with false information.

Also, how could craft know there is update waiting for it? Just mayby by if you plug it the usb of your computer it could tell craft there is update and you must install it before you go flying. This would be utterly stupid from DJI since they have released buggy patches before.

Ofcourse, there could be some FAA or pressuring them to make more dynamic "no-fly-zone" ie. auto updating from internet.
2015-4-12
Use props
lauxchet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641148 ft
United States

you have me interested i sure hope you dont as where i will be doing most of my flying there will be no internet
2015-4-13
Use props
Lee321
lvl.1

United States

TABBE is most likely correct and I'm just being paranoid.  It would be unlikely that they would require internet access at the time of takeoff as that would only be possible if you were using a phone or iPad with internet access.  More likely, they could require you to hook up to a computer at periodic intervals to check for mandatory updates.  At that point it could be disabled until the update, possibly with increased restrictions on how or where you can fly it, was applied.  The only reason this worries me is all the nutso articles in the media about the "dangers of drones".  I'm disabled and mostly fly mine on my own property and I don't want to spend $1000 and have DJI  later decide it is unsafe to fly within city limits.   As I said, I'm no doubt just being paranoid and I'll end up buying the Phantom 3 just because I like the idea that it eliminates the need to depend on WiFi and the range extender.  
2015-4-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Absolutely no freaking way you have to have access to the web to fly this drone!
To have live YouTube streaming..Duh!..of course..but you want to take it camping or 16,000' up in the mountains without the web, no problem!
2015-4-14
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-15 07:59
Absolutely no freaking way you have to have access to the web to fly this drone!
To have live YouTub ...

My guess is that youtube streaming will happen from within the smartphone application. If you have a tablet that has cellular or are connected to WiFi, then you can stream live. I don't see how else they can do it without the P3 having some cellular connection dedicated for this.
2015-4-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

As I stated, you only need the web for streaming...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-4-14
Use props
silverxrider.me
lvl.2

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-15 07:59
To have live YouTub ...

16,000'????,  you run out of blade between 6-7000'(depending on ambient temp) No way it could even lift off at 16,000' so I assume that was just a figure of speech.
2015-4-14
Use props
dfeakins
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Lee321, glad you saw our article.

As far as we are currently aware, you do not need web access to fly, that is not something I think DJI would ever require.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the Inspire will sometimes says "firmware mismatch" if you have updated your phone to a version of the App that is not compatible with the firmware you have on your Inspire.

So if you set your phone to not 'Auto Update' your apps then you will  never be forced to update the aircraft.

Hope that make sense, and since that article we now have the Phantom 3 available to pre-order on our website.

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/dji-phantom-3/

Thanks
2015-4-15
Use props
GunZenBomZ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

..the  ability to read & comprehend is a skill the newer generations lack..
2015-4-15
Use props
tjalexforever
New

Chile

Hi Lee, Nope..only for update firmware for Phantom u need...for RC its auto updates the firmware while u using the app with wifi...  i m using DJI Go app and tested.. without wifi...its uses GPS system..so, need internet to fly it.. i m using phantom 3 advance..
2015-12-16
Use props
tjalexforever
New

Chile

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-14 20:59
To have live YouTub ...

for streaming n utube..u need internet... but to fly phantom 3 advance..with DJI Go app..no need..its using gps system...no need any wifi on tablet or phone..i m flying it without internet..0nly by connecting with tablet. that also for recording n pictures..u dont even need the tablet to fly if u dont fly toooo far n tooo high...
2015-12-16
Use props
tjalexforever
New

Chile

vmp@carbon-egg. Posted at 2015-4-14 21:04
My guess is that youtube streaming will happen from within the smartphone application. If you have ...

Yes..for online live matters...we need wifi...or internet..to fly it..no need..just DJI go App will do it..its uses gps system...
2015-12-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tjalexforever Posted at 2015-12-17 05:05
Yes..for online live matters...we need wifi...or internet..to fly it..no need..just DJI go App wil ...

You are aware that this subject is 8 months old? It is not a good idea to dig up zombie threads, probably not relevant any longer.
2015-12-16
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

silverxrider.me Posted at 2015-4-15 03:01
16,000'????,  you run out of blade between 6-7000'(depending on ambient temp) No way it could even ...

The P3 will fly at 6000m, which is over 19,000'

2015-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, they are afraid to start a new thread for fear of being ridiculed, for not doing a forum search.

When you turn on your device, drone and Go app, they are receiving info from your home wireless wifi network.
If an update is available, the app will tell you.

Every day, I turn on my kit, even if I know I'm not flying, so that "it" can check for any recent updates, in firmware or app.

I like to be current, and am not afraid, like some nervous pilots, that something will be buggered, from an app update or recent firmware release. ;-)

We have got to be 'braves' and leave the Papoose garb behind. Hahaha
I smoke a large recreational, if seasonal, peace pipe of Love, for all of my Phantom tribe, brothers, sisters, & or extended family. ;-)

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker
2015-12-16
Use props
fans0c47bf97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194849 ft
Canada

If you are near any Geo Obstacle you will need at least a cell phone to get a code to unlock the Phantom or it won't start up.  Phantom 3 Advanced Firmware v1.9.60. I just tried. But most people have a cell to set up hot spot for your ipad...etc.
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules