Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help needed badly for a P2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edifier
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I know this is for the P3 etc drones.......................................................

But can anyone help please i have a phantom 2
the problem is it twiches terrible when in hover and looses height
with no input on the sticks.
i have done all the calibrations etc twice over now and still no difference in the twiching problems
i updated the F/W on it to 3.14 and wonder if this is were the fault lies as some people from some old threads
say the f/w version 3.8 was fine. Has anyone on this forum still got a copy of the early firmware please
example 3.6 or 3.8 for the phantom 2  that i could try (i know it's a long shot asking)can anyone remember what the gains should be set to ? i know this is a tall order

thanks

2017-11-21
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

This room is for all phantoms not just p3 p4.
So you have come to the right place unfortunatly i have no experience with the p2 but im sure some of the guys here do
2017-11-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha edifier,

The Phantom 2 Vision + had a problem with Vortex Ring State (VRS).  In a hover, if you leave it too long, a column of air the size of the P2 rotors will develop straight down from the quad.  The P2 (and other quads and helicopters) will then begin to descend under power.  This means that the air in the column will keep going down unless the P2 is low enough for ground effect to stop the air moving in the column.  

Applying more power to go up will not help.  The only way to solve the problem is to move sideways.  That way you move out of the descending column of air.  Try this.  Go up about 20 meters and hover on a calm day.  When the P2 starts twitching and descending, push the right stick any direction and leave the left stick alone (Mode 2).

The P2 Version 3 was the first Phantom designed to counter VRS.  All our newer Phantoms have a tilt to each rotor at the motor that you can see easily.  This spreads the air out of the column and allows yo to avoid VRS.

The early Osprey V-22 during testing had a crash due to VRS and flipped over sideways and crashed upside down.  The Stealth Helicopter that crashed on the Osama Bin Laden raid went into VRS.  Be careful.  The poor guys up in the Himalayas have it even worse with the thin air up there!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

VRS was a big problem in the early days.  My understanding is the VRS problem was fixed with a FW upgrade back in 2014 or 2015.  That is, DJI decreased the max vertical down speed from 3 m/s to 2 m/s, IIRC, while forcing the critical battery auto land from 10% to 15%.  I've got a P2V and a P2V+ with the newest FW 3.14, I'm still flying them, and both hover just fine.  They also RTH straight down from high above just fine, albeit slowly.  However, it is possible to still have the VRS problem if you add weight to the P2 series AC.  

Yes, the P3 series have motors mounted to be misaligned on purpose to counter VRS, and that enables a faster vertical drop with no VRS.  I believe the max is 3 m/s on the p3 series.  

So why does yours drop?  Typically, it's an indication that the altimeter is misbehaving and an IMU calibration would fix it.  If that fixes it but the problem returns shortly thereafter, you might need a new naza flight controller.

2017-11-22
Use props
edifier
lvl.3

United Kingdom

thanks for the help
done all i can and still it does the same thing
would reducing the gains help?
mark the droner what are the gains settings you are using on the P2 please
2017-11-24
Use props
Advanced