Shutter priority issue (bug)
1655 15 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

I know there's nothing that will be done about this, but this is just wrong.  I set my camera to shutter priority - that means that I CHOOSE the shutter speed and the camera can choose the aperture and/or ISO.  Fine!  However, when I select exposure bracketing (3 shots), the camera will alter the shutter speed for the extra exposures. For example, I selected a shutter speed of 1/120 second.  When I take my shot, the camera uses 1/120 (@f/5), 1/200 (@f/5) and 1/80 (@f/5) rather than staying on 1/120 and adjusting the aperture for the over/under versions. It behaves as though I have it set to aperture priority.  I've never used a camera that acts this way.
Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that specifies the behavior for bracketing exposures?

2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Can you shoot a video about this situation? Thanks for your help.
2017-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sounds strange.
If you have an iPhone on iOS 11 you can easily record the DJI Go4 app and show you issue.
2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Via the screen recorder
2017-11-23
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-22 22:31

There's nothing really to show via video but the camera settings menu.  It's when I get the images off the SD card and look at the exif data and see the exposure parameters.  I can take screen shots of that if that would help, but I see how it would.
2017-11-23
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Here are screenshots of the camera settings and the resulting image EXIF data.  Clearly, the camera is NOT using shutter priority when taking auto exposure brackets.

2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think it is designed this way.
With the S mode you set the 'middle' picture to a fixed shutterspeed (1/120) and the auto exposure metering calculates a aperture + iso to get the desired average.
The other two pictures have different shutterspeeds since AEB works via changes in shutterspeed.
(as it does with my DSLR, that way the picture is altered the least, no DOF changes OR noise changes, only when the shutterspeed reaches maximum or minimum speeds it will change aperture or ISO)

2017-11-23
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-23 08:02
I think it is designed this way.
With the S mode you set the 'middle' picture to a fixed shutterspeed (1/120) and the auto exposure metering calculates a aperture + iso to get the desired average.
The other two pictures have different shutterspeeds since AEB works via changes in shutterspeed.

While I agree in principle with your argument regarding DOF issues when doing HDR work, in my case, I was NOT doing HDR work so that issue is moot. I wanted bracketed exposures using the SAME shutter speed to avoid motion blur, DOF was a secondary concern.  That's why we have priority choices.
Even so, at long distances, DOF changes are minimal at best.  
However, my professional cameras (Canon 5DMkii and Canon 40D) both respect my priority decision when taking AEB shots.  If I'm in Shutter priority, all shots use the same shutter speed.  If I'm in Aperture priority, all shots use the same aperture.
2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

cleamon Posted at 2017-11-23 08:28
While I agree in principle with your argument regarding DOF issues when doing HDR work, in my case, I was NOT doing HDR work so that issue is moot. I wanted bracketed exposures using the SAME shutter speed to avoid motion blur, DOF was a secondary concern.  That's why we have priority choices.
Even so, at long distances, DOF changes are minimal at best.  
However, my professional cameras (Canon 5DMkii and Canon 40D) both respect my priority decision when taking AEB shots.  If I'm in Shutter priority, all shots use the same shutter speed.  If I'm in Aperture priority, all shots use the same aperture.

Now you mention: I usually shoot in AV priority or full manual. Shutterspeed is less important to me (only to stay above a certain limit for blur. )
So I like AV priority more I guess. (to keep my aperture at a optimal setting for a lens)
I'm not sure how my Nikon D610 does this in S mode, but I will try.

2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You are right. In S mode the D610 also keeps the shutterspeed at the same setting while adjusting the aperture.
Learning all the time.
2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

So maybe you have found a 'undocumented feature' indeed.
2017-11-23
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-23 14:04
Now you mention: I usually shoot in AV priority or full manual. Shutterspeed is less important to me (only to stay above a certain limit for blur. )
So I like AV priority more I guess. (to keep my aperture at a optimal setting for a lens)
I'm not sure how my Nikon D610 does this in S mode, but I will try.

Actually, when I use my DSLR for HDR work, I always use Av mode, and a tripod.  

My point of this post is NOT about which mode is better for which job BUT RATHER that the DJI camera does not work like other cameras in this regard.  If you put a camera in shutter priority mode, it should obey that preference.  Arbitrarily  switching to Aperture priority mode for AEB is not acceptable.  If I wanted aperture priority, I would have selected that.
2017-11-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

cleamon Posted at 2017-11-23 15:08

My point of this post is NOT about which mode is better for which job BUT RATHER that the DJI camera does not work like other cameras in this regard.  If you put a camera in shutter priority mode, it should obey that preference.  Arbitrarily  switching to Aperture priority mode for AEB is not acceptable.  If I wanted aperture priority, I would have selected that.

Yes, I get your point. You are right, it works differently from what you would expect.
Just reply to DJI Elektra in post Nr 2 and have one of the admin's take care of your question!
2017-11-23
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Please look at post numbers 6 and 12
2017-11-24
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

cleamon Posted at 2017-11-23 15:08

I agree totally. I've encountered the same problem.
2017-11-24
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-11-24 05:20
I agree totally. I've encountered the same problem.

I've come to the conclusion that this problem is the result of DJI not following through with a feature.  Before the Phantom 4 Pro (and Advanced), the camera had a fixed aperture, therefore, to implement automatic exposure bracketing, they HAD to resort to multiple shutter speeds.  When the variable aperture was added, the DJI GO 4 program (or maybe drone firmware) was not updated to utilize it for AEB mode.
It would also be nice if one could specific the bracket intervals.  It's currently less than 1 stop intervals.  Hardly enough for doing HDR, especially when shooting RAW. 1 or 2 full stop brackets would be more useful all around.  That's probably asking for to much.  Oh well.
2017-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules