Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Did not return to home only climbed to max altitude
2410 13 2017-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_uC8F5ye
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119170 ft
Canada

Hey all,

Today I was flying outside because it was actually a nice day, no snow and positive weather in Canada here.. I'll take it during the winter time.  

I set my home point before take off and went out for a flight.  I was out about 150 meters away from myself flying at about 30 - 40 meters high.  I started getting wind warnings on my phone, so I started to head back.  I was not in sport mode so it was comming back slowly. I had lots of battery left, but I figured I would let the Mavic bring him home safley.  I pressed the button and started to watch it, and it started climbing.  My return to home is set at 40 meters with my max altitude just over 90 m high.  All of a sudden I heard max altitude reached.... I figured maybe it got caught in an updraft or something, I am pretty new to flying these things but it was not 'that' windy.  I pressed the pause button or the button to stop it returning to home and hoped and prayed it was still not going up, and pressed the stick to make it ground itself.  

I started to walk out to the field and then saw it a little bit later about 10 feet off the ground.  I watched the video from the mavic, I also am recording all my flights on my phone to learn and if I screw up see where I may of screwed up.  Looking at both video's it does not seem like I made it climb up that high and just sit there.  I also watched the flight log in the controller and same thing, it shows the wind warning, and me pressing the return to home, then it just shows the mavic climbing up and not returning to home.

I would like to take this with us on a vacation in January, but I need confidence that it will behave and act correctly.  I am not sure if I did something wrong, or if it glitched out.  I tried to submit a bug report on my phone wit the attached flight log, but the log would not load from my phone.  

-NV
2017-11-22
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Best way download the data file to pahntomhelp.com so we can check it out.
2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, what's the altitude before your pressing the RTH button? Was the drone directly facing the sun at that time? And was there any error messages in the app?
You can report this case to support@dji.com and start a data analysis for this case.
2017-11-23
Use props
4U2NVME
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-23 00:23
Just to verify, what's the altitude before your pressing the RTH button? Was the drone directly facing the sun at that time? And was there any error messages in the app?
You can report this case to  and start a data analysis for this case.

Is there a way to see my flight logs online now?  I shared them up?  It was facing away from the sun when I pressed the RTH.  
2017-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Where you by any chance flying directly into the sun on RTH.?

You can upload your flight log to link below and come back here and post your link, just click on link below and follow instructions.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-11-23
Use props
4U2NVME
lvl.1
Canada

Very cool tool Hallmark.... Here is my log URL... its:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/W60TSZ8FRIUJRPS5CEHX/

I would not say into the sun... it was pretty overcast, they sun may of been lower in the sky in the return to home.

- NV
2017-11-23
Use props
4U2NVME
lvl.1
Canada

Well it thinks it saw a bird.... no wait a plane.... no superman flying around??   Ok looked at a few pics I took yesterday... some cloud and was about an hour before sun set.

I can't fly when it sunny then?

-NV
2017-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

4U2NVME Posted at 2017-11-23 09:24
[view_image]

Well it thinks it saw a bird.... no wait a plane.... no superman flying around??   Ok looked at a few pics I took yesterday... some cloud and was about an hour before sun set.

Sensors on Mavic are very sensitive, IMHO this was caused by the Sun there are many reported cases of this occurrence . It sees the Sun as an obstacle in RTH it tries to climb to height to clear obstacle.

Easiest way to sort this is to press pause Yaw the aircraft away from the sun and continue, you may also experience this when normal flying you now know what to do.

You will get some really good information from those phantomhelp logs especially if you download CVS Files. Good luck.
2017-11-23
Use props
4U2NVME
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-23 09:54
Sensors on Mavic are very sensitive, IMHO this was caused by the Sun there are many reported cases of this occurrence . It sees the Sun as an obstacle in RTH it tries to climb to height to clear obstacle.

Easiest way to sort this is to press pause Yaw the aircraft away from the sun and continue, you may also experience this when normal flying you now know what to do.

so if I do a RTH, I can still turn the mavic front away from the sun while its trying to RTH and it will continue to fly back and not stop the RTH command?

-NV
2017-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

4U2NVME Posted at 2017-11-23 11:29
so if I do a RTH, I can still turn the mavic front away from the sun while its trying to RTH and it will continue to fly back and not stop the RTH command?

-NV

No sorry I was reading that your Mavic was in sight, once you pause you will eliminate RTH you could yaw and try RTH this time turning vision sensors off it may still slow Mavic down but with forward vision sensors switched off in RTH you can steer your Mavic.

2017-11-23
Use props
4U2NVME
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks Hallmark.
2017-11-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

4U2NVME Posted at 2017-11-23 07:11
Is there a way to see my flight logs online now?  I shared them up?  It was facing away from the sun when I pressed the RTH.

Sorry, there is no data view from DJI for Mavic at the moment, but if it is confirmed you are flying towards the sun or strong light, the sensor might not work properly and regards it as an obstacle. So try to avoid flying facing the sunlight directly, or you can switch off the OA system, but you need to take care of the fly environment when you disable it.
2017-11-30
Use props
fansc8ce36c8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 784 ft
United States

I had this happen to me once when I first got the mavic pro.  Has made me a little gunshy ever since.  Luckily it was close by and I just paused and manually brought it back.

So what would happen in this event if you lost signal, or just let it do it's thing? Would it ever return home, or would it ascend to maximum altitude, however until battery got low, and land in spot … or something else?
2017-12-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fansc8ce36c8 Posted at 2017-12-9 17:33
I had this happen to me once when I first got the mavic pro.  Has made me a little gunshy ever since.  Luckily it was close by and I just paused and manually brought it back.

So what would happen in this event if you lost signal, or just let it do it's thing? Would it ever return home, or would it ascend to maximum altitude, however until battery got low, and land in spot … or something else?

It might continue to ascend to the maximum altitude, but if nothing else it would eventually begin to land once the critical battery threshold was reached.
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules