Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, OTG is unsupported but works.
Perfect feed the whole way to battery failsafe.

2017-11-24
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-24 09:23
https://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky-mavic-spark-rc-mounting-bracket?from=search-result-v2

In the link above you will see in the small print that dji are working on otg cable compatible to spark and have announced in the link that it will be coming soon.

Good to see that in the link, thank you I look forward to specifics from DJI and more importantly for me, Android support.

The distance (70 metres) only relates to video feed, not the range of the Spark.  I suspect I could fly further with no OTG but without video I won't risk it...I can't risk losing it.

As soon as connect OTG, I have reached 300 metres with very clear and stable video.
2017-11-24
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-24 13:19
Dear all, I am really concerned about many posts in this discussion and happy about others. But to be honest I am not happy at all about the OP. The tone has been agressive and hostile from the outset and despite all valid explanations given by other users did not change in following posts. And unfortunately many others jumped on this escalation of emotions apparently with little prior reflection and further reading across this forum. And what should or could all this be good for any of us? Nothing at all! Please allow me to summarise the course of events:
1. As soon as the first of us got their Android Go 4 App updated to version 4.1.18, credible and well documented reports about serious issues with this version were published here (more than a week ago).
2. Instead of joining the discussion(s) on that topic that were already in place (what would be my usual attitude in a forum like this one: Reading what has already been reported and responded/clarified and then adding to it),  on a daily or sometimes hourly basis new discussions were opened on the very same topic, making it very difficult for everyone to be on the same page concerning statements made by DJI to clarify the situation.

response:

1/2. many people opening individual threads shows the major problem here, and the threads vary about the actual point.  some just want the 'get an older app' answer.  some want the REAL problem addressed clearly and concisely.  regardless it should warrant immediate and clear response from dji.

3. it has not been recognized at all.  the answer is 'we don't support otg' which is a half truth.  no guarantee of restoration of functionality has been given.  in fact, in some posts 'elektra' says 'i think otg is just unstable' this response is laughable to those of us that used it for months without problems.   if they were so concerned as you imply, they would open a thread regarding otg spark and keep it updated for us.

4. it doesn't say spark will support otg for anything, it says it will support otg to crystal sky tablet and 'other mobile devices', nothing specific to android.

i'm not hostile, i'm just clear cut and calling it how i perceive it.  to imply myself or anyone else has ulterior motives honestly makes it look like you are either:  a dji fanboy and they can do nothing wrong in your eyes, or somehow being supported/encouraged by them to defend their practices online.  there is no way you can say it was DEFINITELY an accident, and that's a statement which i whole-heartedly disagree.  it was an active decision to remove something that already worked.  i give you props for your extremely positive attitude, but i find that in the real world that just isn't the way things are more often than not.

securing the proper functionality of our expensive devices is hardly 'whining' its genuine concern from a lot of people who have spent a lot of time and effort to make their purchase achieve the results we were told to expect.  when we receive unclear or ridiculous responses, its not surprised that some people start getting a little short instead of sounding all fluffy and nice.

2017-11-24
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

Dear all, I am really concerned about many posts in this discussion and happy about others. But to be honest I am not happy at all about the OP. The tone has been agressive and hostile from the outset and despite all valid explanations given by other users did not change in following posts. And unfortunately many others jumped on this escalation of emotions apparently with little prior reflection and further reading across this forum. And what should or could all this be good for any of us? Nothing at all! Please allow me to summarise the course of events:
1. As soon as the first of us got their Android Go 4 App updated to version 4.1.18, credible and well documented reports about serious issues with this version were published here (more than a week ago).
2. Instead of joining the discussion(s) on that topic that were already in place (what would be my usual attitude in a forum like this one: Reading what has already been reported and responded/clarified and then adding to it),  on a daily or sometimes hourly basis new discussions were opened on the very same topic, making it very difficult for everyone to be on the same page concerning statements made by DJI to clarify the situation.

ps

let me know know rules i'm breaking, and i will tailor my posts accordingly

as far as you complaining about my posts here and on another thread-- good news!  if you don't like my posts you're not required to read them or comment on them.
2017-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rxdeath Posted at 2017-11-24 14:42
response:

1/2. many people opening individual threads shows the major problem here, and the threads vary about the actual point.  some just want the 'get an older app' answer.  some want the REAL problem addressed clearly and concisely.  regardless it should warrant immediate and clear response from dji.

Look one thing is very clear from dji, otg is not supported you knew this from when you first purchased your spark, and every time it comes up you get the same answer SPARK DOES NOT SUPPORT OTG, So you should forget about this, if this ever happens dji will let you know it has never been promised.

If there is a problem with the app I’m certain that dji engineers will get it sorted soon and it seems this has been portrayed by moderators here.
Moderators job is to relay your problems to dji engineers that’s what they do when these problems arise, it doesn’t mean that problems will be sorted immediately it takes a bit of time and you may have to be patient, I’m still waiting for Apple to sort out a bug on iPhone for almost 3 months so this sort of mishap is normal with apps I download bug fixes for apps twice a day every day I’ve realized this is pretty normal in app development, so no point in throwing your toys out of the pram this is the world of drones and although it’s improving you do get these hiccups from time to time.
2017-11-24
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

OTG was not really recommended for Spark drones.
2017-11-24
Use props
Pat sh
lvl.1
United States

I just helped my friend in South Carolina roll back to version 4.4.1.15  His Spark would only respond to return home  on wifi or OTG in  4.4.1.18 on his andriod phone. He had no problems  with 4.4.1.15, he hasonly had  the spark a week and had no issues  on 10 flights with either wifi or OTG.  He will try tomorrow with the old version. I will let you know how it goes.  In the mean time I will not up grade my app on my tablet or phone till DJI posts a fix.
This really makes me very unhappy, ibought him the Spark as a gift because I liked it so much.
2017-11-24
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

OTG is a bit problematic.
I see in the thread how to change wifi channels it is mooted that operation on wifi only in the uk at least is illegal since the rc spark connection is using 5.8 non sanctioned uk frequency.
Is this true? Ought to be addressed if it is.
2017-11-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Pat sh Posted at 2017-11-24 20:43
I just helped my friend in South Carolina roll back to version 4.4.1.15  His Spark would only respond to return home  on wifi or OTG in  4.4.1.18 on his andriod phone. He had no problems  with 4.4.1.15, he hasonly had  the spark a week and had no issues  on 10 flights with either wifi or OTG.  He will try tomorrow with the old version. I will let you know how it goes.  In the mean time I will not up grade my app on my tablet or phone till DJI posts a fix.
This really makes me very unhappy, ibought him the Spark as a gift because I liked it so much.

I fully agree that it is an unpleasant situation for all involved and hopefully a fixed version will become available soon.
2017-11-25
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-23 18:56
Rxdeath, thanks for your feedback and please note that we do not support OTG cable now. Please provide the following info of the situation and I would reflect this situation for you:
1. The screenshot of the app.
2. Please provide the flight data and the black box data for further check

Elektra,

I have commented on this elsewhere and others have also pointed out that DJI support have advised that OTG is in fact supported.

Your Manuals document that it is supported.

Can you please post a retraction please.

You are confusing the hell out of everyone. And damaging customers trust in DJI.

Cheers
2017-11-25
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Here is some obvious evidence for you Elektra.

A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.
A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon.

This is a cut and paste off your website. The coming soon has come, it was the last FW update.

Cheers
2017-11-25
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-24 10:32
Yeah I can only fly 5.8ghz and although video feed is excellent I’m struggling over 200 metres so waiting to see this being sorted.

Well, that's unfortunate. Hopefully this will get fixed, soon (edit: having looked into this a little bit more, I highly doubt it as it's an android, not a DJI issue and the 5.8GHz channels available for android might not be suited for outdoor use). But there might be something already available that you can use to overcome this issue. Yep, you guessed it right it's the "currently not supported" "not sufficiently tested" OTG.

However there might be a silver lining. Look what DJI has to say about their CrystalSky mounting bracket (I am sure you've seen this before): " A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller." "A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon." (user bjr981s was quicker)

Now shouldn't Android users in Europe a bit dissappointed in DJI, when they can't use the full potential of their drone and the only way to currently fix this is treated as something unwanted and even accidentally "killed" in the latest DJI GO app? Especially those who invested a lot of money to buy a CS? In fact shouldn't we all deserve a comprehensive response from DJI, how/when they are going to address this issue?

I personally can understand every single person who is mad about this and about the contradictory statements put out by moderators and e.g. the official DJI store, and I don't even use OTG thanks to my iPhone.

2017-11-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Go to an Apple store, buy an iPhone 8+ and the Mavic Pro Alpine White Combo and you'll be happy. Sorted!
2017-11-25
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-11-25 00:29
OTG is a bit problematic.
I see in the thread how to change wifi channels it is mooted that operation on wifi only in the uk at least is illegal since the rc spark connection is using 5.8 non sanctioned uk frequency.
Is this true? Ought to be addressed if it is.

We are dealing with the problem here https://forum.dji.com/thread-120954-1-1.html.
2017-11-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is not ruining OTG support it is the spark that is not meant for OTG cable.
2017-11-25
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

as i've said i'm not going ot buy an apple product, overpriced garbage as far as i'm concerned.   and again dji is ruining it, its not like we're asking for something that didn't exist and they need to make.  when it works fine and they change it, that is ruining it.  this is the issue, nothing else.  i know there's ways around it, but i'm calling them out on poor consumer practices because they are making a device unusable by taking away features, and having an android app so poor it won't maintain video connection.  if the otg didn't 'work' i would have returned my spark on day 1.
2017-11-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-11-25 07:32
DJI is not ruining OTG support it is the spark that is not meant for OTG cable.

By definition or by function, that is the question.
methinks!
I have literally flown only few flights in the beginning without cable.
And till 4.1.18 had never trouble with it.
2017-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rxdeath Posted at 2017-11-25 10:02
as i've said i'm not going ot buy an apple product, overpriced garbage as far as i'm concerned.   and again dji is ruining it, its not like we're asking for something that didn't exist and they need to make.  when it works fine and they change it, that is ruining it.  this is the issue, nothing else.  i know there's ways around it, but i'm calling them out on poor consumer practices because they are making a device unusable by taking away features, and having an android app so poor it won't maintain video connection.  if the otg didn't 'work' i would have returned my spark on day 1.

Again your refusing to answer the one question that proves all you are doing is ranting. Show us now where dji said otg was supported by spark firmware or software
2017-11-25
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-25 11:24
Again your refusing to answer the one question that proves all you are doing is ranting. Show us now where dji said otg was supported by spark firmware or software

and i would say the same as you.  its like dji gave you the same script they give their forums reps.  it worked, they removed it unecessarily, and that's it.  they aren't obligated, it isn't a promise, but it is bad consumer practices.

i'm not ranting, rather i feel its important to warn other people again this as android flying of this craft is basically unusable for most people, at the minimum its not what they should get.  otg is secondary to the fact their android app is garbage or no one would care about otg.

i wonder if you and wermacht just post to up your dji credit sometimes.  while i see valid contributions, typically any bad experience anyone expresses you guys jump all over.   almost a sure sign of some sort of compensation from them, or just fan boys.  there's always some in every forum, oh well
2017-11-25
Use props
Equus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8274 ft
Mexico

someone said " if is working, don´t fix it"  
2017-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rxdeath Posted at 2017-11-25 11:33
and i would say the same as you.  its like dji gave you the same script they give their forums reps.  it worked, they removed it unecessarily, and that's it.  they aren't obligated, it isn't a promise, but it is bad consumer practices.

i'm not ranting, rather i feel its important to warn other people again this as android flying of this craft is basically unusable for most people, at the minimum its not what they should get.  otg is secondary to the fact their android app is garbage or no one would care about otg.

You are ranting some guy from you tube showed everybody that this otg cable worked on a previous firmware so go complain to him he will soon tell you where to go.

Yes dji May eventually find a way to use otg safely and back it up with correct software/firmware which will be usable for both android/iOS , and this is what you should be looking for not blaming dji for something they never said was an option.
2017-11-25
Use props
marikello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59537 ft
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-24 09:31
You don’t need to sell, I live in Ireland I can fly spark comfortably 600 metres using just WiFi with perfect WiFi and iPhone 7

Does that mean I have to buy iOS?
If so, is IPhone6 good enough?
2017-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

marikello Posted at 2017-11-25 13:44
Does that mean I have to buy iOS?
If so, is IPhone6 good enough?

iPhone 6 should be fine, but I think we will soon see otg available and working for use with both iOS and Android, there are a lot of users who preferred using otg and I believe we will see it being made available soon.
Try the iPhone 6 with WiFi between RC and phone see how you get on remember use the phone in airplane mode.
2017-11-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

rxdeath Posted at 2017-11-25 11:33

I expect a formal apology for this post. And please get your tone and attitude under control. Thank you.
2017-11-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Equus Posted at 2017-11-25 11:47
someone said " if is working, don´t fix it"

Thomas Bertram Lance - a very clever guy!
2017-11-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-25 15:43
I expect a formal apology for this post. And please get your tone and attitude under control. Thank you.

I actually think that you deserve one alone for 'wermacht'!
2017-11-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-25 17:42
I actually think that you deserve one alone for 'wermacht'!

Thank you!
2017-11-26
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

i'll give you the mistake i made on your name, my bad, it wasn't intentional, i didn't even notice until it was retyped.  i was watching wwii in color on netflix, must have slipped in subliminally.  

as far as everything i find it hilarious you think you're so important on this forum that you can tell people what to do.  you're not a mod, you have 0 power, and are not anymore important than anyone else.  every time someone has anything negative to say you try and beat them down. if you don't like it then don't read it, you're not the forum police.  actually you're breaking the rules.  if you have a problem with a post, report it, otherwise cork your word hole:

Do not attempt to act as a moderator. If someone is breaking any forum rules you need only report them. All reports are looked at and cases studied. Any attempts to impose on another users activity will be seen as harassment and is not allowed.
2017-11-26
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

Personally I don't believe that the problems with otg in .18 are caused by an intentional move of DJI. It would not make much sense. If DJI wanted to permanently disable otg support in Spark there is nothing simple than switching it off completely in the code. I guess it would take around 2-3 lines of code. And the otg would be gone totally. On contrary, what people report on this forum (I cannot test it myself since the last version that works on my phone is .9) is that just some features are missing, while they were presented before. It look more like a bug in the code for me. And GO 4 is definitely not short on bugs...
2017-11-26
Use props
Si...
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49610 ft
United States

Sorry if I've missed it but read a lot of threads on here today but could someone confirm which iOS devices do work 100% with wifi to the RC?

I'm hoping to get a cheap old one off ebay or something.... I think i've read that 6 and 7 are fine? would 4 or 5 work?
2017-11-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

_pk Posted at 2017-11-26 23:14
Personally I don't believe that the problems with otg in .18 are caused by an intentional move of DJI. It would not make much sense. If DJI wanted to permanently disable otg support in Spark there is nothing simple than switching it off completely in the code. I guess it would take around 2-3 lines of code. And the otg would be gone totally. On contrary, what people report on this forum (I cannot test it myself since the last version that works on my phone is .9) is that just some features are missing, while they were presented before. It look more like a bug in the code for me. And GO 4 is definitely not short on bugs...

But they USE OTG on Mavic with the same APP.
That the OTG availability on Spark is assumingly an inheritance from the Mavic is easily to spot:
You'll see things showing up we dont even have with Spark.
Like the "intelligent flight mode" threeway switch.
My guess is that the devs experiencing problems to separate this part of the code for OTG-Drones and the Spark.
My p.o.v. on this is that DJI dont want us to use OTG but did not "totally tested" this before people started using it. Even if it is a nobrainer, at least for Mavic Users, to try if that function will work on the spark, too.
Now the devil is out and like often, the question is what to do.
Follow the initial company guideline for spark or do the easier thing, and let the people use what was usable from the first day.
I dont hold my breath here
2017-11-27
Use props
rxdeath
lvl.2
United States

just had an update available and it did not fix the problem.  it was about 20mb.   might be one of the older updates, but i received the notification just now and tried it right away to no avail.

REMOVE 4.1.18 FROM THE APP STORE DJI
2017-11-27
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-27 18:19
But they USE OTG on Mavic with the same APP.
That the OTG availability on Spark is assumingly an inheritance from the Mavic is easily to spot:
You'll see things showing up we dont even have with Spark.

Yes. Mavic uses the same app but different hardware (RC). I agree with you that the fact that we were able to use otg is an inheritance of Mavic. Lots of code (in firmware) is reused for sure. It doesn't make any sense to reinvent the wheel every time. But my point was - if DJI wanted to disable otg support for Spark (even if it was enabled for the first time accidentally) they would have easily disabled it completely with one easy move. A simple  conditional statement. It would be easier than intentionally break down some functionality.
2017-11-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

_pk Posted at 2017-11-27 22:39
Yes. Mavic uses the same app but different hardware (RC). I agree with you that the fact that we were able to use otg is an inheritance of Mavic. Lots of code (in firmware) is reused for sure. It doesn't make any sense to reinvent the wheel every time. But my point was - if DJI wanted to disable otg support for Spark (even if it was enabled for the first time accidentally) they would have easily disabled it completely with one easy move. A simple  conditional statement. It would be easier than intentionally break down some functionality.

First: I am very happy with the Spark!
And as I wrote before, we'll see.
I just don't see that DJI wanted to do that from the beginning
And that just the Spark is suffering from the 'not shown in display but in the stored records' issue, and nothing like this happens on the Mavic. (afaik)
My p.o.v. is more the angle, that they can not remove it easily, as long they wanna have a 'one app supports all' experience for the customers.
But I can imagine, that the concept for the Spark was 'phone-wifi/palm-wave drone' only, in the beginning.
And someone, probably the sales department, supportet by the engineers, who like to see all abilities out in the open, had the glorious idea, to make it a full fly more package.
With RC and 2km range and such.
And here we are, now the customer want it that way.
Aside that bloody android 5.8 band problem in CE areas, which in my understanding is just that:
A problem caused by android

And I will be very happy, if only the 'untested but working'  otg-ability comes back as a 'on your own risk' feature.
2017-11-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

_pk Posted at 2017-11-27 22:39

I fully agree with you and it has been stated already that it was not intentional.
2017-11-27
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-27 23:45
I fully agree with you and it has been stated already that it was not intentional.

"Not intentional"? I am not sure. If I remember correctly, no dji official/support formally state that so far but only 1 moderator. He/she could be anyone. The "Not intentional" may just means not intentionally block the telemetry only but totally disable the usb port except charging. As I mention in other thread, I just fly my spark with wifi but just disappoint how dji doing thing like this.
2017-11-28
Use props
Edd_88
lvl.3
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-27 23:27
First: I am very happy with the Spark!
And as I wrote before, we'll see.
I just don't see that DJI wanted to do that from the beginning

I respect your POV but cannot agree with the statement that "A problem caused by android" even the "bloody android 5.8 band problem in CE areas. I won't expect buying a car from a famous manufacturer, after payment and delivery, then be informed that oops sorry, the car is left hand drive, not suitable for your country. For a big company like dji, I would expect the should do best endeavor to avoid this happen or do immediate remedy action. I don't hear a official word  from dji so far.
For android issue, I am not a tech guy so pls correct me if I were wrong. I understand there are hundred manufacturer/brand produce android devices and they do write different UI to make themselves different from others. However, I am sure they won't bother to mess around the kernel. Otherwise, at least half of the apps in the playstore won't run in one or other device. In fact, 99% of the apps I download from playstore, even by tiny developer, can run flawlessly in my 4 different android running different version of system. Sony phone, Asus phone, Samsung tab and tectlast tab running 5.0, 6.1 and 7.11. Small developer can do that. Why big company like dji can't?!
2017-11-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Edd_88 Posted at 2017-11-28 06:31
I respect your POV but cannot agree with the statement that "A problem caused by android" even the "bloody android 5.8 band problem in CE areas. I won't expect buying a car from a famous manufacturer, after payment and delivery, then be informed that oops sorry, the car is left hand drive, not suitable for your country. For a big company like dji, I would expect the should do best endeavor to avoid this happen or do immediate remedy action. I don't hear a official word  from dji so far.
For android issue, I am not a tech guy so pls correct me if I were wrong. I understand there are hundred manufacturer/brand produce android devices and they do write different UI to make themselves different from others. However, I am sure they won't bother to mess around the kernel. Otherwise, at least half of the apps in the playstore won't run in one or other device. In fact, 99% of the apps I download from playstore, even by tiny developer, can run flawlessly in my 4 different android running different version of system. Sony phone, Asus phone, Samsung tab and tectlast tab running 5.0, 6.1 and 7.11. Small developer can do that. Why big company like dji can't?!

Edd_88, that is not, what I meant.
To keep it short in the "OTG in 4.1.18 blinding pilot" topic:
I have read somewhere, that this setting, no 149, 151, ..... Wifi in CE areas comes with the android from google.
The DJI app itself has probably not more problems on different devices , as other android apps for this matter are having.
Which are often b/c of what people putting on the device
2017-11-28
Use props
_KERBEROS_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98179 ft
Spain

I Confirm that app DJI GO 4.1.18 from November 28, 2017 have support OTG, but with problems. For example auto landing doesn't work.
2017-11-28
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Well said Wachtberger
2017-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules