Mavic Camera Turns About 15 Degrees Randomly
1326 9 2017-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

Once in a while, my Mavic Pro's camera would suddenly rotate about 10 to 15 degrees and loses the level during flight without hitting anything. It would then slowly returns to level in a 15 second span. I have tried calibrating the gimbal every time after it happened, but nothing prevented the problem from reocurring. It has happened randomly since I first bought the drone in March. I brought this up now because it has become such an annoyance that it forced me to reshoot a difficult scene for a commercial recently. I hope a CSR can help me with replacement. Thanks!

2017-11-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Could you please provide me with a video of this case so I can understand the gimbal behaviour better? When it comes to the gimbal, please try to update the firmware to the latest version and check if the gimbal is mounted correctly.
2017-11-26
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
United States

Hi Thor,
The gimbal's property mounted. I always remove the plastic clamp before turning Mavic on. What happened sometimes was that, in mid-flight, the gimbal would suddenly rotate as if something had hit it, but it was doing that all on its own. I'm sorting through the footage and will upload when I find them. Thanks!
2017-11-30
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
United States

I don't think the camera was recording at the times the gimbal "jerked". Like I said, it happened randomly.
2017-12-2
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
United States

Please also check this out. Occasionally I see some dark horizontal lines like these in the video:

2017-12-2
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure if you have fixed this problem but I'll through this into the pot of possible causes

I was filming a hill running race about two years ago with my then Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal, GoPro & Lightbridge setup. Every now and again the gimbal would suddenly kick as you describe, then slowly return.

It took a few days to fathom out, but I was filming close to an ambulance crew that were stationed out on the course. This gimbal kick i'm pretty confident was caused when the ambulance crew were using their high powered hand held radio talking back to back to their base in the town and their radio intereference I beleive was the cause of this gimbal kick. It had never done it before and never again afterwards.

So you are not flying in an area where you might be experiencing any strong radio interference are you?

Just a thought.
2017-12-7
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Supervisor Posted at 2017-12-2 17:58
Please also check this out. Occasionally I see some dark horizontal lines like these in the video:

Dark horizontal lines.

I have that too, occasionally. At first I thought of hardware failure, but now my guess it is shade from the props. If I change angle (direction) a bit, the black bars disappear. If I rotate back it appears again.

Can anyone confirm this is shade from the props? If this is the case I would opt for translucent props.
2017-12-7
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
United States

Jimney Posted at 2017-12-7 03:41
Not sure if you have fixed this problem but I'll through this into the pot of possible causes

I was filming a hill running race about two years ago with my then Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal, GoPro & Lightbridge setup. Every now and again the gimbal would suddenly kick as you describe, then slowly return.

The first time it happened, it was about 500 feet above ground, over a residential area. The second time around, it was at a farm, 10 feet off the ground, looking straight at a horse. It's quite random.
2017-12-11
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
United States

chiplifter Posted at 2017-12-7 05:03
I have that too, occasionally. At first I thought of hardware failure, but now my guess it is shade from the props. If I change angle (direction) a bit, the black bars disappear. If I rotate back it appears again.

Can anyone confirm this is shade from the props? If this is the case I would opt for translucent props.

The drone was in the shade. You can tell by looking at the shadows of the buildings on the ground. I don't think the lines came from the propellers.
2017-12-11
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Norway

I've had this problem with the lines too and the gimbal. Lines are caused by high shutter speed on the camera and bright surroundings. Don't know how to fix it but they seem to disappear when you move camera or reduce shutter speed.

As for the gimbal, did you sort it out?
2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules