Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NAB 2015 Do you have a question to ask DJI? ask here.
12Next >
5568 40 2015-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

Hello all,

This thread is simple.
I will be attending NAB this year and will be there to to talk with DJI and see whats coming.

If you have a question for Dji...about anything related to the inspire 1, new products etc... ask it here and I will relay the question and do my best to get an official answer while I am there.

2015-4-12
Use props
FlyRi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 708842 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Some details that would be great to integrate into the DJI pilot apps:
-Distance meter,,,   
  to put your finger on the map and to show how this position is far from the aircraft or RC. (like 200m + 35 degress from north)
  or that with two fingers we can see distance from 2 position on the map,,

- When we set max distance ( like 1.000m) to make a circle on the Map around the aircraft or RC, That we can see distance on the Map (maybe a few circle 200, 400, 600, 800m)

-That we can choose from Apple maps, Google maps, Terrain, Open Cycle Maps.... for offline Maps.

-Set the aircraft at the point of recording, (like a tree, a car........ )  and make the option to make a cirecle about this point alone,  at a X distance (50m) + y height (10m)

-Maybe controlling the Inspire Gimbal by means of your smartphone or tablet's gyroscope? I can only imagine this to be one very precise camera control tool while still leaving you with both your hands to control your UAV?
2015-4-12
Use props
gdc2510
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343583 ft
Australia

FlyRi Posted at 2015-4-13 14:31
Some details that would be great to integrate into the DJI pilot apps:
-Distance meter,,,   
  to pu ...

More thoughts on the App...
a) Warning/error messages that appear on screen should optionally remain on screen until cancelled by the Operator. I frequently miss messages because I'm looking up at the Inspire and they have disappeared by the time I look at the screen. I only become aware of them after a Shou replay.
b) On Battery history display:-
   1) Date manufactured heading is there but the date does not display.
   2) Date and time against each history record would be useful.
c) Loud audible warning should occur with any message that affects safe flight. e.g. P-GPS to ATTI mode.
d) Max flight distance around Home Point should be honoured in ATTI mode if GPS is available. Perhaps should be switchable.
e) White text is sometimes unreadable against a bright sky. There should be a black background under text so it is always readable.
f) Built in screen recorder instead of Shou.
2015-4-12
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think a pressing question is whether DJI are going to deliver on the original promise of Groundstation for the Inspire.
2015-4-13
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Please ask about extracting the telemetry (GPS coordinates, camera orientation, time of taking snapshot and starting / stopping a video recording) straight from the flight recorder's log files (*.dat) downloaded from the I1. From my knowledge this request has been forwarded to their R&D department and would be nice to hear a good estimate on when we will be able to extract this information which will make our data much more meaningful.
Thanks,
Bogdan
2015-4-13
Use props
f_klo
lvl.3

China

-when will the android pilot app have the same features as the apple version?
-when is the release of the handheld gimbal?
2015-4-13
Use props
pipo
New

Germany

great thread, thank you!

- will we be able to mount the new "Blackmagic Camera for UAVs" to the Inspire 1, or will DJI hint at a similar development of their own? love the Inspire, like the Inspire's camera for limited professional use but would looooove (and pay for) a camera upgrade!

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/blackmagic-micro-cinema-camera-tiny-s16-raw-camera-built-drones
2015-4-13
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

pipo Posted at 2015-4-13 18:58
great thread, thank you!

- will we be able to mount the new "Blackmagic Camera for UAVs" to the Ins ...

See if they have any free samples of that Altura Zenith they have the black magic camera attached to!
2015-4-13
Use props
Skywolf007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

All mentioned before - the POI is really needed.

I would like to see wind speed indicator on the screen. The Inspire make a tons of calculation per sec to stay in place.  I think DJI would be able to add this function..
2015-4-13
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

The conference floor opens at 10am. I will try and dedicate some time each day to get some questions answered and post back here my findings. There is a new section dedicated to UAV's this year, which im interested in. It will be a bit crazy the first day as I run around and go back and forth, I will be here til Thursday. Check back by 7pm PST? Hopefully I can get some answers.
2015-4-13
Use props
FlyRi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

It would be great that iPad Gyroscope can be used to manage gimbal.... Like that..

2015-4-13
Use props
FlyRi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Automatic take photo with inspire or phantom for panorama or 360 virtual photo?
2015-4-13
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

FlyRi Posted at 2015-4-14 14:34
Automatic take photo with inspire or phantom for panorama or 360 virtual photo?

Even more, maybe they can add HDR support (at least the automation of taking the 3 required snapshots: under-exposed, normal exposure, super-exposed, and we may obtain the HDR from them in post with 3rd party software).
2015-4-14
Use props
carlos.ojeacast
lvl.3

Spain

Hello everyone.
I think the more interesting question is:
DJI is working on a new gimbal to inspire to incorporate the new Blackmagic or other more professional camera?
I´m very interested in this question
2015-4-14
Use props
will
lvl.3

United States

Sorry to be captain obvious, but ask them what they're doing to improve their customer service and RMA process? Any bump or increase in efficiency and communication would go an incredibly long way.
2015-4-14
Use props
seanhill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3392 ft
United Kingdom

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-14 19:00
Even more, maybe they can add HDR support (at least the automation of taking the 3 required snapsh ...

This is already there - hold down the shutter button in camera mode. You get choices for bracketed exposure bursts of different lengths (3,5,7).

2015-4-14
Use props
Editart
lvl.3

Sweden

Are DJI going to fix the quality issues with the Inspire1 camera H264 recording in an upcoming firmware?

•  Higher bitrate in both 4K an 1080p
•  Intra frame recording

Everything boils down to this, every Inspire request above ends up in the camera in one way or another. If the image quality isnt as crisp as It can be, its sort of pointless.

Thanks! Have a great time @NAB. I was there 2011, was a blast!
M

2015-4-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

Hey everyone,

Later response here than I hoped. convention charges $75 and hotel wants $25 a day for in-room wifi.

So I had the chance to stop by the dji booth and get some questions answered. I will continue to do so throughout the week as time allows. I know I didn't get through all of them.

I was able to speak to a few different reps at dji, including meeting and talking with Eric Cheng himself and forum member Tahoe Ed.

Speaking with Eric, as soon as I mentioned inspire 1 and questions he stopped me and said, you know what. We "really dropped the ball, and we need to be better at handling that" They are in the works on preparing an official document, to send out and help clarify the different features of the inspire 1 compared to the phantom 3. Many of us already know those differences, but it's worth noting they do listen and are aware of concerns.

So here are some questions I was able to get definite answers on:

1. The P3 DOES NOT have ground station or waypoints. Yes the p2v series did have this built in, but the P3 doesn't, it's internals are different and in a way modeled after the inspire. However both the inspire and P3 are fully capable of supporting these types of features post launch. What this means for us is that ground station/way points/ POI will be coming, but it is SDK dependent. Right now the SDK for the inspire 1 is in testing, and when released, we may have to lean on third party support for some of these features to be implemented.

2. DJI's goal is to always have parity between the android and apple versions of DJI pilot app. They are however still dealing with apple and their ongoing approval process and things get slowed down. ALL features on the app will be shared between p3 and inspire. This includes live stream and the director function. Eric Cheng used The inspire as the first test unit for the live stream function.

3. Wind speed indicator in app: right now, NO. Speaking with both DJI and 3DR on this issue, no crafts in any of their lineups carry a sensor that can detect wind speed or direction mid air and in flight. It's not impossible to implement, but I am told there would have be a work around process that would have to be done. You need a before conditions (without wind) and after conditions (with wind) check, and out of that you might be able to calculate what force it would take to move the craft off its normal flight characteristics. But this would have to be tested and take some algorithms and further programming.

4. Flight log/telemetry data. There are two different flight logs, the public log, the ones available to us, and the DJI internal flight log. This dJI log is the one DJI receives and I am told that there is sensitive data and information in these logs that are not available to the public. Yes, I agree it would be extremely useful for us to have more information in our flight logs, right now the only way there will be a solution is for some of that information to carry over to the public flight log. No word on that yet, It sounds like for now we will not have access to the internal DJI flight logs.

5. Sharpness 0/-1 settings are firmware adjustable and in the future we will most likely have finer control or less drastic adjustment between the two

6. The handheld gimbal is scheduled for a "by end of 2nd quarter release" P3 should be within the coming weeks, not months.

Less strong answers:

6. Other app features: I did ask, but I need to try and find a software engineer, someone who works on the app. Features such as being able to tell how far a set distance out relative from your inspire 1, controlling camera gimbal via gyroscope, having more battery data, these types of features that you are asking for may need to come from the SDK development.. Unfortunately that's just the way it seems to be at the moment, we will still have to wait and see.

7. The ALTURA Zenith is indeed a nice craft, didn't see it with the micro black magic cam, but I saw the cam separately, also very nice. Davinci Resolve 12 has added many new features as well, it is getting that much closer to being a full NLE (editing application) if you haven't checked out Resolve lite yet. Do so.

8. Modular gimbal: still one of the biggest selling points of the inspire, and respected by competing companies. There are plans for this thing, and I think we will be seeing more first and third party support in the future. Not sure if the micro cam could mount, it would need a gimbal assembly but it's size and weight is much better than say a full size canon DSLR.

If you have other questions I will do my best to try and get clarification or more answered. There are also sessions going on about fan guidelines and timetables and other UAV vendors here like Dslrpros, so just ask.
2015-4-14
Use props
Scotflieger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
Italy

Many thanks for the update and your efforts. Much appreciated.
2015-4-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

Day 2:

Bit rate limit: Hardware limitation, not firmware upgradeable. We won't see a higher bit rate until a new camera.

Third party camera support: Will open up with SDK... Again SDK SDK SDK.

My thoughts on this: DJI is a drone manufacture first,  camera company second. There's no mistaking an inspire 4k camera for a higher end camera...however they want to supply every one with a RTF system. The modular camera system of the inspire 1 is  there not only for their own futures upgrades, but also third party. They know people want to put other action cam's on the system and they support that. The SDK will allow that. It will probably be easier to get a future GoPro on the system, then say the micro black magic cam, but if the it can be designed and implemented, it probably will.

For comparison sake:

Payload test via droneexperts: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pm88cBFzm78

Gopro 4 - 65 grams
Gopro 4 W/Battery - 88 grams
Gopro 4 W/Battery and case - 152 grams

Black magic micro: 300grams, not including canon LP battery.

Sony rx100: 8.5 oz (240 g) with battery

It remains to be seen and tested how much weight the actual gimbal system can take, also what the weight of a gimbal mount for any of these third party solutions would be.
2015-4-14
Use props
benjaminsink
lvl.1

United States

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-4-15 04:08
Day 2:

Bit rate limit: Hardware limitation, not firmware upgradeable. We won't see a higher bit ra ...

What is SDK
2015-4-14
Use props
Tom Adamec
lvl.1

Czechia

Thank you Mkell! My questions are...

1. will there be any parachute system for inspire?
2. will it be able to land immediately by itself when signal is lost?
3. will it there be any other cameras for it? and stronger nd filters?

many thanks!
2015-4-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

SDK is a universal term for "software development kit". When the SDK is released to the public it means, third parties are  then allowed to use the same technology tools the developer (Dji) used to create its current software. This means that there can be custom apps created for the inspire platform, and also allows the development of new hardware to support the modular gimbal mount system. The SDK will be maintained and supported by DjI
2015-4-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

Tom Adamec Posted at 2015-4-15 04:52
Thank you Mkell! My questions are...

1. will there be any parachute system for inspire?

Hey Tom,

1. I wouldn't expect Dji to release a parachute system, maybe third part support. I'll ask.

2. Not sure about this question. Are you saying you would like to know if you can implement a failsafe for it to auto land if signal is lost? I've only lost signal when I've been 3500+ft out, I would not want it to auto land away from me. However, I've heard of people losing signal right after lift off. In this case I could understand you want it to auto land.

3. I updated my post above about cameras. Ill ask about filters, third party filters are already in development, and in this forum.
2015-4-14
Use props
Editart
lvl.3

Sweden

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-4-15 04:08
Day 2:

Bit rate limit: Hardware limitation, not firmware upgradeable. We won't see a higher bit ra ...

Hmmm, Im not really buying that. What hardware H264 video encoder today is not customisable to some extent. From what I can see, the camera does VBR which is a more computing intense process than CBR. If a class10 MicroSD card, by specification, Is limited to a bitrate of 10megabytes per second I can understand that you dont want to go outside that limit even if the card can read read/write much faster. If DJI has used cheaper components In the camera we might have the bottleneck there between the sensor and the MicroSD Card? Im not an engineer, yet...

Im just so curious, why even sell the most advanced quad In the world with all these great features aimed at filmning and taking stills, and limit the camera in such a ridiculously stupid way as bitrate. Its not about If its a high end camera or not, my iPhone 5s produces a better video image. Its about optimising the I1 hardware in the best way. And as Ive written before, H264 can look just crisp in the details when treated correctly.

Big thanks for the update

/m
2015-4-14
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

Editart Posted at 2015-4-15 05:41
Hmmm, Im not really buying that. What hardware H264 video encoder today is not customisable to some ...

My 1 question is simple...How soon will we see a software rev to fix the GPS dropout issues???
2015-4-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-4-15 07:03
My 1 question is simple...How soon will we see a software rev to fix the GPS dropout issues???

I've been told that issue is being worked on with the incoming firmware. Same goes for the dual slave remote interference dropouts.

Which reminds me, Tahoe Ed explained  that the slave remote, even though it is the same remote, it eats up less power then the master controller... Simply by way of not needing to also control flight. This may be the reason why your slave remote has more video dropouts  and issues than master control when flying dual operator. (also the reason why when you set your slave as master it acts fine) This is able to be fixed via firmware, so I'm told.
2015-4-14
Use props
capalvch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

Mkell, Thank you very much for your time an generosity in sharing with all us your visit to NAB 2015, and to let us learn about it as if we where there.
2015-4-14
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Yea, Big thanks mate - it's a rare opportunity to get up close with these folks and we all appreciate your time in facilitating the conversation.
2015-4-14
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

Great info so far!
Can you please forward also the following inquiries?
1. As per my knowledge the camera was manufactured by Sony. Please ask them to talk to the Sony team and release an official technical sheet for the camera that includes measured camera distortion model that is applicable to ALL capturing modes (4000x3000 pixels snapshot, 4096x2160 pixels video frame).
2. None of their log files are in readable format. Both the logs (*.txt) saved by the DJI Pilot application on the mobile device and the logs (*.dat) saved by the flight recorder on the internal memory of the I1 are binary files. This data from the I1 is as important as the captured frames from the camera and none is accessible to us. We have been told that the *.txt logs saved by the DJI Pilot application are for users but we need to import this data in other applications too, thus please ask for a document describing the format of these files. Also, please insist that we need such logs being saved without depending on the signal between the RC and the I1, thus, they can choose to save these logs on the SD card of the camera (if such an interface is possible) or the internal memory of the I1. What I mean is that *.dat log files may contain sensitive information, but they can either provide a utility to extract non-sensitive data from them, or else they can save the non-sensitive data in separate files but in the same location (I1 internal memory), such as saving logs will not depend on signal between RC and I1.
3. We would like to see additional accessories: car charger, faster power supply (that can be used to power the RC and a battery at the same time), propeller guards, additional camera filters (polarized, upto ND64,...), water-resistant backpack / trolley (not very strong but light and smallest volume as possible). Please ask if any such accessories are planned and what kind of expectations we should have for this year or so.
4. Many existing owners are grounded due to the lack of spare components that are easy to interchange. For example, one might have a faulty RC, gimbal / camera, and so on. Are they aware of this necessity for prosumers which have different requirements and expectations as compared with end-consumers? In fact, knowing that such components can be separately purchased will hugely increase the confidence of any potential customer and would increase revenue through both higher number of owners as well as extra spares purchased. Keeping these flying could also increase the need for parts (batteries for example). It is definitely a win-win situation.
Once again, thank you so much for voicing our needs and keeping us informed.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-14
Use props
FlyRi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

This is fantastic option.  Mark POI and fly arround it, with automatic camera tracking object.

2015-4-15
Use props
kelleyre
Second Officer
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

Hi Mkell_CA_SF.BAY

Thanks so much for going to all the trouble for doing this.
They just released the newest firmware this morning for the inspire 1 ( v1.2.1.0)    iPad ver at 1.03
So far it seems to be working, but I haven't seen any sign of the new stuff in the app  
(Director-Quick Video Editor, or Youtube LiveStreaming)
If you can ask them about this stuff, I hope they give you a truthful answer.
Do the answers there giving seem genuine (not the car salesmen b/s )

Thanks Again

2015-4-15
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.4

United States

FlyRi Posted at 2015-4-15 18:53
This is fantastic option.  Mark POI and fly arround it, with automatic camera tracking object.

htt ...

This quad had some issues at NAB. Video showed pilot stepping on the craft before it got away from him.
2015-4-15
Use props
kelleyre
Second Officer
United States

thanks for the info FictitiousPerso
2015-4-15
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.4
United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-15 14:29
Great info so far!
Can you please forward also the following inquiries?
1. As per my knowledge the c ...

Information will get harder to get as conference winds down. Most remaining staff at the DJI booth are sales and marketing side. Not design of software. All questions answered today came from DJI sales.

1. Here's the biggest info I can give you.....and I will correct and clean up my thread when I have time... Most likely they will not release a technical sheet on the camera. They are not an open source platform and I dont believe they would want to publically release information about camera at this time. However... I have spoken to a camera engineer at Sony. He cannot speak of the design the DJI camera. Sony did not design the camera, they just supplied the sensor... However I asked him about bit rates.

Here goes: Bit rate is NOT A SENSOR OR OPTIC LIMITATION. It is a design limitation, it is CODEC dependent. The bit rate can be improved if: The design and codec will allow it. Depending on how things were implemented, its possible its firmware upgradeable. But its also possible it is not... One of the things that will determine this is if part of the design language was written in FPGA ( Field Programmable Gate Array) or ASIC (Application Specified Integrated Circuit)....FPGA, means it's possible to upgrade the codec and thus bit rate.... If its ASIC.... Done deal..  Not upgradeable.

I AM NOT AN ENGINEER in this sense, but that is what the Sony engineer told me.... In some ways, this helps clear it up.... Not sensor dependent, but also still leaves us in the dark.

2. Flight logs, I asked again, its something that needs to be communicated to the right people, the sales person I spoke to today said they would pass the info on.

3. They can't speak about future unannounced products. Third party market for now.

4. I asked, They are looking at the forum and directing feedback to the correct department as needed.

2015-4-15
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-4-16 07:35
Information will get harder to get as conference winds down. Most remaining staff at the DJI booth ...

Really appreciated!
Will try again to approach them directly and hopefully we'll get more transparency.Thank you so much for your time and effort.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-15
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-16 11:30
Really appreciated!
Will try again to approach them directly and hopefully we'll get more transpar ...

Thanks Mike apprciate your efforts...Downloaded the new software update yesterday and will be testing iy out today...Will let the forum know how it goes...
2015-4-16
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well thats a real bummer about waypoints and POI. I think they have/are really misleading people on this one in their videos.:@
Whats more is if they can sell it as an additional item for the PV2, it means they have the software knowledge already in place to do this. Why they can't deliver on this is beyond me.
2015-4-16
Use props
kelleyre
Second Officer
United States

Sad no waypoints and POI
2015-4-16
Use props
kurdish123
lvl.1

Sweden

Help dji phantom 3s... takeoff button showing in right of screen blo ked the camera buttons..
2017-3-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules