Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New DJI GO4 and Firmware - Back to it's old tricks
1525 11 2017-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Hello,

I just flew for the first time with the new firmware (01.04.01) and the latest GO4 (4.1.18) using my Galaxy S7edge. Flew 2 batteries with the following parameters:

1. 4K and 2K video resolution
2. Cache recording to SD card and to internal memory
3. Video resolution on the phone 1920x1080
4. Airplane mode (fresh restart on phone)

In every video mode whether I was recording or not, the video was popping in and out and lagging terribly, even at close range (<100ft.). The only thing I didn't try yet was to turn video cache off. This made it very hard to take quality shots and was unsettling when the aircraft was at a distance. I've had the Mavic since February and this was a regular occurance until about a month or two ago and now it's at it again.

Another observation, though I set the app to record the video cache to the external SD card, when I powered down and up again to change batteries, the setting to record to the external SD card was toggled back to internal memory and I don't know why.  I will exprement with the cache turned off and update later.

I would be interested in others experiences with this software/firmware configuration.
2017-11-24
Use props
Sim-Y
Second Officer
Flight distance : 75502 ft
United Kingdom

I have an s7 edge, flew 1 battery today as it was very cold...(i dont like the cold..LOL) no video lag whatsoever. Only problem i had was i tried some pano shots, all modes, i landed the mavic, went to view the pano shots & upon combining the shots i got a failed error then the feed from the mavic was lost altogeather. A restart of the controller, app & mavic sorted that out, flew the rest of my battery without any further problems.
Spherical Pano the 360 one doesn't show up in the app to combine tho, dunno where that group of pictures went to.
Personally i think the app is to blame..

On a side note, i do have this problem with any quickshot mode with the recorded phone footage, it seems to speed up then slow down halfway through...

Quickshot dronie

The original footage from the drone is fine

2017-11-24
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

There's similar issues reported with the latest v4.1.18. Many have reverted to previous version that fixed the issue.
2017-11-24
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Just flew again with the same parameters as the OP. The exception is that I turned off the video cache/recording altogether. The video was slightly laggy and the video didn't break up until the end of the flight.  Better but not fixed and with lost functionality.  My oh my. This is just depressing.
2017-11-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The lagging issue is related with many factors and the troubleshooting will be helpful to check the exact status. Alternatively, you can change to another location without interference or another recommended mobile to verify.
2017-11-25
Use props
djiuser_larry
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70200 ft
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-11-24 13:59
Just flew again with the same parameters as the OP. The exception is that I turned off the video cache/recording altogether. The video was slightly laggy and the video didn't break up until the end of the flight.  Better but not fixed and with lost functionality.  My oh my. This is just depressing.

Yes, lots of posts about the app upgrade. My recommendation is to first try reverting to version 4.1.15 and see how that works. You can retrieve the older revisions from apkmirror.com. The DJI GO 4 app overworks many Android (and Apple) devices. They get hot, video fades and the app crashes.
2017-11-25
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I lost my Mavic because of this issue!  I've not heard back from DJI Thor for help yet.  He was actually helping me through this issue a few days before the unthinkable happened.  I hope DJI replaces it- I have DJI Care but because of the circumstances I could not recover the Mavic...soooo dissapointed!!!  I am very experienced and did everything you did and more.  My lost was not pilot error and the video loss and lag caused my failure; including the failure to recover it even though I was LOS.  There is also an issue with telemetry data/sync with app and RC.  My battery level dropped very low without me knowing when and being unable to control it or precisely guide it to an optimal landing location, it auto landed in an area I couldn't recover it from; it may have also continued it's flight some distance away from it's last known gps fix.  Devastated! I return all my flights back to home when approx at 30 % battery to be extra safe and have 7 batteries to ensure I can easily do all my video shoots well with lots of power.  Hope DJI supports me fully on this; I've heard so much poor experiences that I am worried.
2017-11-25
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

djiuser_larry Posted at 2017-11-25 08:54
Yes, lots of posts about the app upgrade. My recommendation is to first try reverting to version 4.1.15 and see how that works. You can retrieve the older revisions from apkmirror.com. The DJI GO 4 app overworks many Android (and Apple) devices. They get hot, video fades and the app crashes.

Mine failed on app version 4.1.15 after upgrade from 4.1.10.  I believe it also failed on 4.1.10. I tried a lot of combinations to filter out the possibility that it was some issue with my phone, even switching to other devices listed as 'compatable'.  100% this is DJI software code related.  FYI, I've done most of my flights with a phone not listed- and NEVER had the app crash.  V4.1.15 is defective.  I lost my Mavic last week due to these exact software issues (see below).  Please do not use this software (and possibly do not fly your Mavic AT ALL until this is solved).  You may think you are working fine, until it happens to you.  If you must fly, I suggest keeping it within 50' in an area where there is no possibility of any fly-away.  My LAST flight ( ) was a very basic flight for me...unfortunately I could not compensate for the issues that resulted in loss. Boo.
2017-11-25
Use props
djiuser_larry
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70200 ft
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-25 12:15
Mine failed on app version 4.1.15 after upgrade from 4.1.10.  I believe it also failed on 4.1.10. I tried a lot of combinations to filter out the possibility that it was some issue with my phone, even switching to other devices listed as 'compatable'.  100% this is DJI software code related.  FYI, I've done most of my flights with a phone not listed- and NEVER had the app crash.  V4.1.15 is defective.  I lost my Mavic last week due to these exact software issues (see below).  Please do not use this software (and possibly do not fly your Mavic AT ALL until this is solved).  You may think you are working fine, until it happens to you.  If you must fly, I suggest keeping it within 50' in an area where there is no possibility of any fly-away.  My LAST flight (  ) was a very basic flight for me...unfortunately I could not compensate for the issues that resulted in loss. Boo.

A couple months ago for me the GO app was crashing reproducibly during my second battery flight. This was with revisions around 4.1.9, 4.1.10. For the last month it's seemed more stable which I attribute to lower outside temperatures. But 4.1.18 sent it over the wall. I'm using an old Android tablet which can barely run this software. The tab cpu got especially hot with 4.1.18. This program just keeps getting more complicated and is marginal, not optimized for computing efficiency.

In pretty much all of the app crashes I've encountered the RC control and RC connection to the Mavic is still ok. I just lose the video feed and the app control. Sometimes the app recovers. But it all has made me very cautious about flying very far away.
2017-11-25
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I use a Samsung S7, in phone settings try DISPLAY > MODE > BASIC and DISPLAY > RESOLUTION > 1920 X 1080.  This reduces power consumption as processor requirements are reduced.  Also in DJI Go4 check the transmission graphic to see if there is strong interference.
2017-11-25
Use props
peorge9566
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19547 ft
United States

DJI recommends iphone which I use and also think is BS! We should have a great transmission no matter what tablet of phone. We paid $1,000 for this drone and should not have limitations.
2017-11-25
Use props
peorge9566
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19547 ft
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-11-25 12:04
I lost my Mavic because of this issue!  I've not heard back from DJI Thor for help yet.  He was actually helping me through this issue a few days before the unthinkable happened.  I hope DJI replaces it- I have DJI Care but because of the circumstances I could not recover the Mavic...soooo dissapointed!!!  I am very experienced and did everything you did and more.  My lost was not pilot error and the video loss and lag caused my failure; including the failure to recover it even though I was LOS.  There is also an issue with telemetry data/sync with app and RC.  My battery level dropped very low without me knowing when and being unable to control it or precisely guide it to an optimal landing location, it auto landed in an area I couldn't recover it from; it may have also continued it's flight some distance away from it's last known gps fix.  Devastated! I return all my flights back to home when approx at 30 % battery to be extra safe and have 7 batteries to ensure I can easily do all my video shoots well with lots of power.  Hope DJI supports me fully on this; I've heard so much poor experiences that I am worried.

I am sorry for your loss! DJI should help you out. They build these for pennies on the dollar and can afford to send you a new one.
2017-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules