Dead after "update"
2366 22 2017-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Very frustrated. Last month I updated the firmware in my Ronin-M. Worked at the time, but I may not have "reset" everything (is there eben a reset toggle anywhere???) so it may not have "taken" the updateds even though I thought it did. Put it away and just now took it out for a shoot. It's dead. Acting like the motor kill switch is activated. Gimbal upon power up is just dead. Can not connect via phone app. I CAN connect via PC & DJI Gimbal Assist (V2.5). Toggeling motor kill doesn't change anything. In reviewing the firmware it is indicating IMU version 0.0 and wants to update to 1.4 However the unit will not take the update! Consistantly saYS "UPDATE FAILED"  or will just keep trying for HOURS until the battery in the gimbal is dead. Currently, my unit is bricked! Seems like there is an issue updateing the IMU that has surfaced in some threads? Like the update has to be "forced" or something? Can't revert back to previous software which was fine. Never should have tried to update! Anyway, I'm stuck! Sent in a support ticket several days ago, no one has gotten abck to me. HELP, seriously, I don't need a bricked gibmal!

2017-11-25
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

I'm done. I can't count on this thing to function in a professional workflow environment. The Ronin is clearly a hobbyist comic or consumer toy. I can't count on it, DJI, or their joke of customer support when I have to make a living off my tools, equipment, or work. It's going in the dumpster and replaced by a professional Movi system that has reliable software, real customer support, and some actual respect for professionals who use their products. Lesson learned. Rather than get a Ronin, just burn a pile of money in your back yard while beating your head against a wall. Same experience.
2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey, Micheal, sorry for the inconvenience. I understand your situation and have forwarded to our engineers for double check. We will keep follow up and update the status here.
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Michael_A Posted at 2017-11-26 14:48
I'm done. I can't count on this thing to function in a professional workflow environment. The robin is clearly a hobbyist comic or consumer toy. I can't count on it, dji, or their joke of customer support when I have to make a living off my tools, equipment, or work. It's going in the dumpster and replaced by a professional Movi system that has reliable software, real customer support, and some actual respect for professionals who use their products. Lesson learned. Rather than get a robin, just burn a pile of money in your back yard while beating your head against a wall. Same experience.

Michael, did you receive my message in PM? Please check and try again. Also, please kindly offer the screenshots of firmware update for better assistance, thanks!
2017-11-28
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Hello DJI Susan; Thank you fro responding. I downloaded the installer that you sent via a link (Gimbal Assistant 2.4) and attempted to load the IMU update. Unfortunately, it did not work.

) and attempted to load the

2017-11-28
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Tried again for A few more hours. No luck. On restart it will occasionally spin violently and unplug its usb cable. Still showing 0.0 IMU.
2017-11-28
Use props
GK prod
New

United Kingdom

I am having the same issue. totally understand your frustration as i am going thru this as well.
Please let me know as soon as they get back to me. My ticket is still with the "customer support".
2017-11-29
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

2017-11-29
Use props
GK prod
New

United Kingdom

this is what I got back from Tech Support:
2017-11-30
Use props
GK prod
New

United Kingdom

like I would not have done it for the first time...
Thanks!
2017-11-30
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

I shipped mine off to the repair facility yesterday. I'm trying to stay optimistic....  Perhaps I'll see it again by Easter?? Hopefully in working order?? I get the impression that their telephone based tech support is reading from a script. Unfortunately, not all that helpful.
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Michael_A Posted at 2017-11-30 07:40
I shipped mine off to the repair facility yesterday. I'm trying to stay optimistic....  Perhaps I'll see it again by Easter?? Hopefully in working order?? I get the impression that their telephone based tech support is reading from a script. Unfortunately, not all that helpful.

Thanks for getting back to us. Confirm that the unit needed to be returned as well. Per the tracking number, the package is on the way and the local team will take care of it once arrived. You can also check the case status from here: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace If there is any further questions, welcome to contact us, and we'll be here for help.
2017-11-30
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

I'll keep the forum posted on how this goes. Too many threads just kind of peter out and you can never tell if the issue was resolved. DJI's service center is to receive my unit on Tuesday, 12/5/17. I'll post updates as this repair works it's way through the system to completion.
2017-12-1
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day + 12
Unit delivered to DJI repair facility in CA. Unit received by TRUJILLO @ 10:48 A.M., Tuesday, 12/05/2017, according to UPS tracking...
2017-12-5
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day +13
Hmmm, well there is official confirmation that the unit has been received now...  "The item you sent to DJI for repair has been received and your case number is...."
2017-12-6
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day +13
Ummm, I'm a bit stunned. It appears they have evaluated and repaired my Ronin-M in the course of one day! The assessment reads:          "Ronin M functions normal, firmware shows normal. Possible software corrupted, or battery almost empty/not completely plug in (use a little force when mount battery-just in case) Turn on and test all functions normal. " I am assuming they loaded the IMU drivers, because I was not able to and it certainly was NOT functioning normally when I sent it off.  Should the repair and turn around be completed this expediently, and the unit is truly repaired... ummm... I may have to reevaluate my previous assessments of DJI's service! Lets see how this pans out!
2017-12-6
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day +14
So I sent an inquiry to the service center to verify they loaded the latest firmware. Response follows:

Raul F (Support)

7 Dec, 11:46 CST
Hi Mike,

Thank you for contacting DJI North American Technical Support.

It is unfortunate to learn that you are having issues with your DJI product. I am pleased to inform you that as per our repair center everything is working fine on your aircraft. You might want to use a brand new cable.

If you require further assistance or have additional questions, please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: support.us@dji.com
Online  Click HERE to chat

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Raul
DJI SUPPORT
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support#after
2017-12-7
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day +15...

In today's email: "Dear Customer, Your Ronin-M has been tested and will be shipped within two business days..."
2017-12-7
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day +15...

Another email: "Your product for repair regarding case No. XXXXXX has been shipped via UPS and your tracking number is XXXXXX"....  

My. That was fast.
2017-12-7
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

Failure day + 21...

I just received my unit back via UPS a few hours ago. It was packed very well in a ton of bubble wrap and packing paper and seems to have made it's UPS journey without issue. The unit returned is indeed the one I sent. Serial numbers and other identifiers confirm this. I rigged it up for a test... and... it WORKS! Now all of my previous settings are gone, replaced with perhaps "test" settings so the motors were screeching a bit until I auto tuned it. It does connect quickly to my phone app. Frankly, I am a bit scared to connect it to a computer and see what firmware versions are living in it. At this point, I'm not inclined to update the firmware in this thing again! Initial tests would indicate that it is functioning normally. It powers up, wakes up, connects to the app just as it shroud. It took the auto tune, and some minor adjustments. In testing it chasing my cat through the house it SEEMS to be functioning normally - or at least as one would expect. I haven't detected any drift, shaking, or flyaway. Now, I really don't know what was done to fix it. I suspect they have some developer level interface software that was able to FINALLY blow in the IMU firmware as well as update the rest of the stuff. A quick test with the remote indicates it is connecting and operating normally under its control. It would appear that normal operation has been restored and the unit is usable again.

To their credit, DJI's U.S. service center appears to have turned this around correctly and expediently. It was in their possession maybe 3-4 days total, the rest shipping. Perhaps this was an "easy fix" compared to a drone flown into a brick wall. Perhaps it was faster because it was a warranty fix. Regardless, my experience is far more positive than the many, many that have been reported on various forums, blogs, and reviews over the last few years. Perhaps DJI's customer service has turned a corner? Maybe they are finally getting it together? The optimistic part of me would like to believe that but there is a ton of historical experiences they must overcome before it becomes generally accepted. I have to chalk one notch up in the "positive" column for them.

Could it have been done better? Yes. Really. For one thing, a firmware update shouldn't brick a product - and this isn't the first product this has been reported on. So I have to lay some criticism on whoever pushes out these and insist that the firmware update process undergo more thorough debugging. That is, after all, what bricked mine. For another, the phone support. It is painfully obvious that they are reading from a script, and may not have any real knowledge of the problem, product, history, or fix. Perhaps a "tier 2" level could be established with individuals who have more expertise could field some of these more technical issues. Lastly, and perhaps this is a bit selfish, maybe there should be a "pro level" for people who use these things professionally vs. consumer level. When a unit is on a set, a client is watching, and it screws up - and time and money are being burned through because of a dead gimbal, I don't need someone to tell me to check the battery! Trust me, that has been done and it comes across as a bit condescending.

Lastly, has my faith been restored? Maybe, though only partially. The unit should not have screwed up in the first place; but once shipped off the repair process was about as quick as one could hope for (in my case...). Would I spend $7K on a new Ronin 2 vs. a Movi Pro? Right now, no. There is an element of trust and reliability that needs to be restored and at this moment if I had to lay money down on one or the other, I'd put it down on the Movi. Could that change in the future? Yes. But it's going to take some time before I feel I can trust this thing on a critical shoot. Oh, and it working!

So there, start to finish. Frustration, surprise, repair, and return. If you start a thread like this, please pay it forward and let everyone know how it turned out. May help the next guy!
2017-12-13
Use props
Terry Lau
lvl.2
Canada

Micheal,

I read all your posts and I feel sad for you
as a new comer, the more I read about the Ronin M
the more issues I see
and like you said, we need a more reliable tool to make our living
is the movi Pro a good product to consider?
2018-1-5
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

It's hard for me to venture an unbiased opinion on the Movi. They seem to have a good rep,  and I've rented a few and had no issues. They are probably closer to the original Ronin in size and capability, and competitive with the Ronin 2 in price. Now, to be fair, my Ronin M is behaving itself.... so far. But at the end of the day, a tool is useless if it doesn't work consistently. My Ronin-M has a ways to go to really prove itself, but so far so good. Do keep in mind that on sites like THIS you may hear a disproportionate amount of frustration and "bad news". I'm sure there are guys out there that haven't had an issue with their unit that have no reason to post and just carry on in silence. Luck? Chance? Don't know. If you can, rent BOTH a Ronin and a Movi for a day and take them for a test drive. Maybe post up on some sites like DVXuser.com and see what the collective experience is. It may just boil down to what size or kind of rig you are flying.  I think any of these units are pretty sophisticated and may all have issues, what tips the balance is how the manufacturer responds and what their track record is in that response. My issue got resolved maybe as quick as one could hope for, but then again, the issue really should not have manifested in the first place!
2018-1-9
Use props
Michael_A
lvl.2
United States

So here I am... a bit more than a year after the "fix". I tested the unit upon it being returned to me. Seemed to work fine. Used it on one shoot a few months later. Seemed to work fine. Went to use it just now and guess what. Back to square 1!!! The bluetooth app said it was updating firmware; then bricked my ronin!  I can connect to it rhrough the computer, it sees it, but it is totally non responsive. Can't connect to it through the app. Turn it on and it just spins limp with the red light flashing. And YES I have pushed the damn batteries down. What a total POS.
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules