Need advice flying in -10 Celsius A.S.A.P
1009 9 2017-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

I have been asked to take some photos A.S.A.P but I'm not sure if I can fly in -10 Celsius.
What is to avoid and is it possible to do this. I have to go to 500m altitude to get up to that place in the mountain.
I will just start at my home and fly up the mountain. At 500 m altitude I will be 50 - 80m over a hill but can see from there the place I want to film.
The reason for this is avalanche here in the mountains. Need some advice thanks.
2017-11-26
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should be Ok if you can keep the battery warmer until starting out.
Avoid anything which demands full power at least until it has warmed itself some more.
You can expect flight time to be reduced but not dramatically.
2017-11-26
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

4wd Posted at 2017-11-26 08:06
You should be Ok if you can keep the battery warmer until starting out.
Avoid anything which demands full power at least until it has warmed itself some more.
You can expect flight time to be reduced but not dramatically.

There won't bee any trouble keeping the battery warm as I start 10 m from my door.
Once in air is what I'm afraid of. Have charged some of my old P3 standard battery and RC.
I'm more willing to risk the P3S than my Mavic.
2017-11-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Min safe temp is 0 degrees/32 F. -10 degrees C is a significant amount lower. i'd think that risk of losing yr drone is pretty high and if any extra unanticipated other thing should occur (wind etc) then i would be surprised if you do not end up losing yr drone. Yr battery life potential will also be less - rather get it back too soon than too late. I think you are nuts to try but let us know if it worked out for you. at -10 i'd think you at high risk to lose yr drone and do not recomend you try unless there is a life saving situation at play - if the wind picks up, pack it away. lastly, if you absolutely must do this flight, then perhaps use yr first battery to do an short test run within VLOS to see battery performance and get an idea of how far you can fly in those temperatures. i get about 17min per battery in proper temp conditions in sport mode with a round trip distance of about 5- 7km per battery. You should not expect to be able to fly the advertised 27minutes - i suggest....do'nt do it - but good luck if you do.
2017-11-26
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

-10c is cold but the batterries will warm themselves up I would have thought.

You will be flying on a clear day obviously otherwise your Cam will be complete merde.

I would go for short shoots.

And do not forget a flask of tea of coffee, and a dram.
2017-11-26
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

I did -20 with Phantom last year and kept within LOS and its fine, ensure you keep battery in warm environment before flight, monitor battery temp
2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

According to the specs, the operating temperature range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), we don't suggest flying the drone when the temperature is lower or higher than this range.
2017-11-27
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-27 00:51
According to the specs, the operating temperature range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), we don't suggest flying the drone when the temperature is lower or higher than this range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYlKhx_-l0&t=32s

Of course, but there are very few if any reports of problems a  few degrees colder - provided battery is not allowed to get cold before starting it's unclear what could go wrong.
Other things to consider are ice build up if there is any fog or cloud about.
It could affect camera and gimbal as well as propellers
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

4wd Posted at 2017-11-27 06:03
Of course, but there are very few if any reports of problems a  few degrees colder - provided battery is not allowed to get cold before starting it's unclear what could go wrong.
Other things to consider are ice build up if there is any fog or cloud about.
It could affect camera and gimbal as well as propellers

Thanks for adding, the app will prompt you when the temperature is beyond its working range. If the battery temp is very cold before starting, the app will prompt the info accordingly, and you need to wait for the warm-up.
2017-12-1
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

G_Sig Posted at 2017-11-26 08:50
There won't bee any trouble keeping the battery warm as I start 10 m from my door.
Once in air is what I'm afraid of. Have charged some of my old P3 standard battery and RC.
I'm more willing to risk the P3S than my Mavic.

-10 on the ground is one thing up in the air with speed and wind something else. I usually start and hover for 5 min so the battery warms up during discharge. I have been flying at -15 with no problems.
2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules