Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First Spark flight - successful!
1089 9 2017-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

First time drone pilot here (aside from some toy drones).  Took my Spark (fly more combo) out to a local park, despite the UAV app telling me conditions were not good to fly (35mph+ wind gusts reported at 350 ft).  I decided to fly low and slow and got used to the controls.. Kept it in beginners mode and didnt attempt anything over 40 feet away in any direction.  About 45 degrees outside.

A few impressions:

-Was never prompted to calibrate compass or IMU.  Have never done it, ever.  Dont know if thats a bad thing?  I had usually about 19 GPS satellites showing at all times.
-I was prompted before heading out to update firmwares, which I did.
-Did not test RTH
-i could see even at 40 feet, the Spark was moving around alot.. Glad i kept it low, looking forward to ideal flying conditions soon. Camera footage was still pretty steady. Impressive!
-i can see the appeal of wanting to push up on the stick to see how far up it can go.  I did not this time, maybe when more comfortable and better flying conditions.
-I used an OTG cable for my Samsung S7.  Kept the older DJI GO app.  No issues there
-Started up with the RC first, then drone, then app, then connected the OTG cable.  That sequence worked for me.
-how does the spark fit in the Fly more combo case?  

Just thought i'd share, can't wait to fly more (and curse the sun going down at 4pm!!!)

2017-11-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You don’t need to calibrate until prompted and even then if your asked to calibrate compass or move to another area, always move.
Spark fits comfortably in flymore case with 4 batteries spare props and RC. I expect wind was cause of it moving on a good day with 19 sats your Spark will be like a rock.
Enjoy your spark and the best of luck.
2017-11-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Very well done and congratulations for your successful maiden flight! With your careful and well prepared approach you are going to have a lot of great experiences with your Spark, I am sure.
2017-11-26
Use props
mtclark2112
lvl.1
United States

Just got my Fly More combo too! I have been doing the same, a careful measured pace. Haven't taken it out of beginner mode yet. I've had maybe 8 flights so far, and I love it.

I have pushed the stick up to the 100 ft ceiling a couple times, and I flew it around my house in FPV mode at a height of 8 ft a couple times. Great little drone. Can't wait to take it to Europe next year!
2017-11-26
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Job well done!
2017-11-26
Use props
tvon
Second Officer
United States

mtclark2112 Posted at 2017-11-26 18:54
Just got my Fly More combo too! I have been doing the same, a careful measured pace. Haven't taken it out of beginner mode yet. I've had maybe 8 flights so far, and I love it.

I have pushed the stick up to the 100 ft ceiling a couple times, and I flew it around my house in FPV mode at a height of 8 ft a couple times. Great little drone. Can't wait to take it to Europe next year!

Did you calibrate IMU or Compass?  where you prompted?
2017-11-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"Started up with the RC first, then drone, then app, then connected the OTG cable."

Which version of the App? If it is not 4.1.18, keep it that way. For the time being!
2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Tvon, I would recommend you calibrate the compass when the app has the reminder. Or if you change an environment, please calibrate the compass.
2017-11-27
Use props
tvon
Second Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-11-26 21:53
"Started up with the RC first, then drone, then app, then connected the OTG cable."

Which version of the App? If it is not 4.1.18, keep it that way. For the time being!

GO 4 version 4.1.15.  I turned off auto update on my play store.
2017-11-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

tvon Posted at 2017-11-27 08:29
GO 4 version 4.1.15.  I turned off auto update on my play store.

Again well done!
2017-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules