DJI GO 4 crashing on Pixel 2 XL - Android 8.0
2559 12 2017-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RocketFPV
New
Australia

Hi all,
As per the title, the DJI GO 4 app is crashing on my Pixel 2 XL, running Android 8.0.
The app will either say "Disconnected" or the app will just quit. It does not give me the "App is not responding - force quit" window, it just closes.

I did a bit of reading and found that enabling aero plane mode and USB debugging made it a bit better, but not perfect. Especially if I want to use my data connection for streaming etc.

Is there a way to improve this? Am I doing something wrong? The app crashes once or twice every flight. And this is a little concerning losing my link over water, in the forest, with a $2000 toy.

I read on the FAQ that I should "Ensure that your mobile device is on the approved devices list on DJI's website"     But I cannot find that list anywhere ....

Looking for guidance,

Jackson
2017-11-26
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

It's under Mavic Support Download.
Android devices.
just scroll down the page.
2017-11-26
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I have a Pixel (1st gen) and was facing similar issues with the Go4 app disconnecting and closing. Good news is that even though the app closes or disconnects, you can still control the aircraft.

I have heard that putting the phone in airplane mode helps. I haven't had a change to try this yet.

One thing I did do which seemed to help was to adjust the timeout for my phone to lock. I usually have it set to 30 seconds. When I fly I usually set it to something over one minute.

With regard to the approved devices list, here's a link to a post reply. There are links to other lists and I'll post them when I find them. I haven't seen any Pixel device on any of the lists.
2017-11-26
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2017-11-26 17:20
Android devices.

@G_Sig, thanks for pointing it out!!
2017-11-26
Use props
RocketFPV
New
Australia

G_Sig Posted at 2017-11-26 17:20
Android devices.

Thanks for the response,
I should have mentioned that I also tried it with a iPhone 6+ and was having similar issues, and that device is in the supported device list.

Any other recommendations?
2017-11-26
Use props
RocketFPV
New
Australia

I should mention that I have also tested it using a iPhone 6+ and I also ran into similar issues.
2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for G_Sig's provided, and unfortunately, Pixel 2 XL is not the device that on our support list, but it doesn't mean it couldn't work with DJI GO 4, but if it crashes on your device, please try to reinstall the app a couple of times, except for airplane mode and USB debugging, please also shut down the other apps that are not in using.
If it doesn't help, please wait for the next update and check again.
BTW, if iPhone 6+ also crashes, please try to reinstall the app, let me know if the issue persists.
2017-11-26
Use props
coreboarder
lvl.1

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-26 19:17
Thanks for G_Sig's provided, and unfortunately, Pixel 2 XL is not the device that on our support list, but it doesn't mean it couldn't work with DJI GO 4, but if it crashes on your device, please try to reinstall the app a couple of times, except for airplane mode and USB debugging, please also shut down the other apps that are not in using.
If it doesn't help, please wait for the next update and check again.
BTW, if iPhone 6+ also crashes, please try to reinstall the app, let me know if the issue persists.

6 months later and this is STILL an issue with the Pixel 2 XL (the best Android phone on the market)!
2018-6-22
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>

Reinstall the app a couple of times...  
2018-6-22
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

This actually started back in late 2017. My MP went useless b/c of this defect in Go4; actually lost my Mavic last Nov because of this problem...and STILL working through DJI Support to get it replaced under warranty.  It's been hell to say the least   FYI, DJI Thor 'helped' me for an entire week with this issue prior to me losing my Mavic (FYI he never helped me at all since then...never even informed DJI Support or stood up for me to prove to them that my issue was experienced well in advance of the loss incident and despite efforts to help fix, was lost b/c of it).  His last recommendation to me was exactly like the one he just posted here for you...nearly 9 months ago and the problem looks to still be wreaking havoc.    In fact one of the recommendations was just to wait for a new update...it appears 9 months later there is no update that fixes this.  About a month ago, another moderator offered to help me get my claim 'escallated' beyond the usual support person that just seems to reply with pre- written scripts (they don't appear to actually READ your claim info...you only get to send in a datafile and then they run it through a program - much like Airdata - which will come back as no problems found).  No 'excallation' happened at all, I've been in the queue for about a month now and getting minimal progress.  
It all started (at least in a major way around this period of time) as can be seen in this link : My research indicates a coding fault caused this around Go4 V4.1.9 (Android) and more widely began affecting devices (all on the comparability list too I might add) at v4.1.15/v4.1.18 which were immediately pulled from updates it seems.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120543-2-1.html

I think there is over 3500 views just using this one link on this issue, so it is a serious issue for many.  

DJI Suport has not taken my claim or this issue seriously and it is mind-blowing the hassle you have to go through if you become affected.  I loved flying my Mavic and want nothing more to get resolution to this and begin flying again.
2018-6-22
Use props
fans7827f097
lvl.2
United States

I'm having the exact same issue with my pixel 2 XL
2019-1-24
Use props
fans7827f097
lvl.2
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-6-22 19:25
This actually started back in late 2017. My MP went useless b/c of this defect in Go4; actually lost my Mavic last Nov because of this problem...and STILL working through DJI Support to get it replaced under warranty.  It's been hell to say the least   FYI, DJI Thor 'helped' me for an entire week with this issue prior to me losing my Mavic (FYI he never helped me at all since then...never even informed DJI Support or stood up for me to prove to them that my issue was experienced well in advance of the loss incident and despite efforts to help fix, was lost b/c of it).  His last recommendation to me was exactly like the one he just posted here for you...nearly 9 months ago and the problem looks to still be wreaking havoc.    In fact one of the recommendations was just to wait for a new update...it appears 9 months later there is no update that fixes this.  About a month ago, another moderator offered to help me get my claim 'escallated' beyond the usual support person that just seems to reply with pre- written scripts (they don't appear to actually READ your claim info...you only get to send in a datafile and then they run it through a program - much like Airdata - which will come back as no problems found).  No 'excallation' happened at all, I've been in the queue for about a month now and getting minimal progress.  
It all started (at least in a major way around this period of time) as can be seen in this link : My research indicates a coding fault caused this around Go4 V4.1.9 (Android) and more widely began affecting devices (all on the comparability list too I might add) at v4.1.15/v4.1.18 which were immediately pulled from updates it seems.

2019-1-24
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

fans7827f097 Posted at 1-24 20:01

That is a shame, sorry to hear this.  Many people have/continue to experience this.  I've been out of the scene for a while (due to this sour taste/experience).  I've lost track of the specific date (but a bit of searching would find this), approximately a year ago mod "Susan" in one post actually addressed this issue by stating that "the engineers" are working on software update to fix this problem and the update was forthcoming - this was about at least a year ago and several updates ago.  My theory is that this all occurred when DJI implemented some 'software encryption/protection code' and certain Android/CPU configurations could not process the code as fast as before- leading to pixelated video issues and other things (mid 2017 timeframe).  Shortly after this the Mavic's (original) signal strength / Occusync range was greatly affected (or it's ability to function) as I personally was able to fly full range w/o any issues (and since then start losing range anywhere up to 500m).  Anyways, I'm never giving up and will likely get another one soon and start experimenting again.  I've never experienced these issues on iOS, only Android so I might bite the bullet and get an iphone just for flight....
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules