CrystalSky device froze up mid-flight again (not just GO app)
538231 538231 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I had just powered up the CS and this was first flight of the day. Flying on Friday with my Mavic Pro and CrystalSky 5.5, CS screen froze up completely, was unresponsive to any of the buttons and would not power off after holding the power button. At this point I grabbed my phone to record a video since DJI always wants video proof, about that time I start recording the CS screen went black and seemed to be powered off and would not power back on until I pulled the battery. It wasn't just the GO app locking up, it was the entire CS tablet. This is not a one-time incident. If DJI can't figure out why my CS is so flaky and unreliable it's going into the trash bin where it belongs and I'll use my iOS device that has never crashed. The bright screen isn't worth the headache of locking up mid-flight putting my drone at risk.

Firmware-
Mavic v01.04
CrystalSky v02.04.02.00 (no third-party apps)

2017-11-27
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

HI, I had the same issue several times with my 7"8, my Inspire 1 Pro V2 and DJI Go. Finally, I decided to return it last week. I guess it's HW related (was a crash of the device, not the appli only).

2017-11-27
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI:

on my CrystalSky, I went into Settings > Backup & Reset > chose Copy crash logs to SD card. Now how do I get those to you so we can figure out why this thing is performing so poorly?

EDIT: it says the logs will be written to "tombstone.zip under SD card" but I checked and there is no zip file on my SD.

EDIT2: found the zip file on the internal memory. File attached.

I have already synced my flight logs in the GO app. But the issue isn't with my Mavic, its CrystalSky, so that data might be irrelevant since the device itself is what is freezing up. Nonetheless, you should now have that as well.

tombstones.zip

547.78 KB, Down times: 28

2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus, we sincere apologize for the trouble caused, just to verify, the CrystalSky powered on in the end right?
When this issue happens during flight, please try to keep pressing the power button of CystalSky for over 10 seconds to switch on.
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

castormalin Posted at 2017-11-27 14:43
HI, I had the same issue several times with my 7"8, my Inspire 1 Pro V2 and DJI Go. Finally, I decided to return it last week. I guess it's HW related (was a crash of the device, not the appli only).

We are sorry for the unpleasant experience with our product, may I have the case number? We will help to check the status and follow up the case, thank you.
2017-11-27
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-27 22:19
Hugh Jaynus, we sincere apologize for the trouble caused, just to verify, the CrystalSky powered on in the end right?
When this issue happens during flight, please try to keep pressing the power button of CystalSky for over 10 seconds to switch on.

How is my use of the power button going to solve the problem of the CrystalSky device locking up entirely mid-flight? As mentioned, I had to pull the battery.

I provided the crash logs. I've provided a video. Are you going to ask DJI to look at them?
2017-11-28
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

Any time a user posts about an issue on this forum the mods ask for a video. I have provided that along with the crash logs from my CrystalSky. What more can I do so that DJI can figure out why my CrystalSky is junk? The ball is in your court.

DJI Mindy, the solution you provided is not a solution and as I mentioned in my post I had already tried that and that did not work, I had to pull the battery. At this point I feel like you're not even reading the information I provided and you are telling me generic solutions that do not solve why CrystalSky is freezing up.

What is going on?
2017-11-29
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-27 22:21
We are sorry for the unpleasant experience with our product, may I have the case number? We will help to check the status and follow up the case, thank you.

Hi Mindy,
No pb. I sent it back to my (excellent) french supplier, Studiosport. The case ID at Studiosport is SV0002716. Not sure it will be transmitted to DJI, because Studiosport has its own autorized repair center, with tracking etc...
I will give news when I have. Could be interesting for Hugh Jaynus, seems we have a similar issue. Thanks for your support

2017-11-29
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

castormalin Posted at 2017-11-29 12:53
Hi Mindy,
No pb. I sent it back to my (excellent) french supplier, Studiosport. The case ID at Studiosport is SV0002716. Not sure it will be transmitted to DJI, because Studiosport has its own autorized repair center, with tracking etc...
I will give news when I have. Could be interesting for Hugh Jaynus, seems we have a similar issue. Thanks for your support

I'm happy that you're getting your issue sorted.
2017-11-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-11-29 11:22
Any time a user posts about an issue on this forum the mods ask for a video. I have provided that along with the crash logs from my CrystalSky. What more can I do so that DJI can figure out why my CrystalSky is junk? The ball is in your court.

DJI Mindy, the solution you provided is not a solution and as I mentioned in my post I had already tried that and that did not work, I had to pull the battery. At this point I feel like you're not even reading the information I provided and you are telling me generic solutions that do not solve why CrystalSky is freezing up.

Hugh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, keep pressing the power button for more than 10 seconds is the way to force the device to power on, it works many times.
I apologize if my reply and resolution are not useful at all. Your issue has been transferred to our engineers for analysis, I will keep you updated once I hear from them, your patience would be highly appreciated.
2017-11-30
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-11-29 13:13
I'm happy that you're getting your issue sorted.

That happened to me several times when I first purchased the CS (5.5)

I went in and did a complete Mavic system redo.  Re-calibrated EVERYTHING and have had no further issues.

Perhaps that might help.
2017-11-30
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

Hi, can you clarify what you mean by calibrate 'everything' on the crystalsky ?
2017-11-30
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

it happened again. I did a full factory rest on the CrystalSky. Tonight I updated my Mavic to the new firmware released last week and had just powered everything up to check all my settings to put them back how I like them. Then it froze up.

2017-11-30
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

@ DJI Mindy
Hello Mindy,
I got the info from Studiosport: my CS has been sent to DJI with the case ID # CAS-1263407-G1C6T9
I just want to mention that - as Jaynus- it's the device that crashes and requires an HW reset to restart, not the appli. And also that the crashes occur always during the flying, never while the CS is operating as stand alone (maybe related with CPU load). I use it with an Inspire 1 V2 pro and DJIGo(3). All up to date, of course.

Thanks !
2017-12-1
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

I received my CyrstalSky Ultra yesterday. I also have lockups on unit. Haven't flown yet. Just testing on ground. When unit locks up, Using the power button doesn't work. I need to turn off the controller. Then hold the power and it will reset. Yes the latest firmware. Did that first thing. The configuration was the P4 controller with the CyrstalSky. Also tried with the Cendence controller and the Inspire2. With out any controller hooked up I tried to download my flights and while syncing the CyrstalSky locks up. I have to hold the power to reset. Sometimes it reboots itself during Syncing flight. Whats going on!! Something not right in firmware!!!!  PS, no problem syncing with my Ipad. all works fine.
2017-12-2
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Update. Chrystal Sky with P-4 controller seems to be stable with no lock ups. Haven't flown yet just ground testing. Hook up the Cendence/ Crystal Sky, Screen locks up. Power button hold doesn't work. Have to turn off controller than hold power to shut down Chrystal Sky. Anyone out there with the Crystal Sky/ Cendence having these problems?
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-11-30 21:27
it happened again. I did a full factory rest on the CrystalSky. Tonight I updated my Mavic to the new firmware released last week and had just powered everything up to check all my settings to put them back how I like them. Then it froze up.

https://youtu.be/pFJ7KRitWww

Hello, Jaynus, sorry to have kept you waiting.
Our engineers has analyzed the log, this issue was caused because of APP storage, we have got it optimized in the latest firmware:
CrystalSky Firmware: V02.04.02.00
DJI GO 3 App: V 3.1.18
DJI GO 4 App: V 4.1.14
Please double check the firmware and APP version that you are running, if you are sure they are up to date, please post the picture here, I will escalate again, thank you.
2017-12-4
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-4 01:38
Hello, Jaynus, sorry to have kept you waiting.
Our engineers has analyzed the log, this issue was caused because of APP storage, we have got it optimized in the latest firmware:
CrystalSky Firmware: V02.04.02.00

Thanks Mindy. If you read my original post on the top of this thread I listed the firmware version of my CrystalSky (V02.04.02.00) which is the latest.  However, I will post a photo as proof. Guess that means the issue was not solved with that firmware.
1.jpg
2.jpg
2017-12-4
Use props
fansce2e2e58
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151860 ft
South Korea

Hi.
Recently I bought 7.85 CS.
I received the latest firmware update immediately.
The gas used is Inspire 1 V2 z3 camera.
Symptoms often occur when the connection is established.
If you have symptoms like this, please reply.
The other CS I have a recent firmware version and tested it. There is no problem.
It looks like the latest firmware bug.
It is said that it is more like the gas side in the case of the roasted origin. But in Samsung Tab S3, there is no problem and connection is good. I do not have any problem with the previous version firmware CS. What is the problem?
It 's too frustrating.
2017-12-4
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is so frustrating! Been trying to use the CrystalSky/ Cendence combo but CrystalSky locks up. I reset back to factory the CrystalSky, compass calibration , Still no luck. All the newest firmware on all the hardware. as of this writing. My P4 and controller with CrystalSky also lock up. Not as frequent for some reason but still will not fly with CrystalSky. Attach iPad using hdmi and no problems. Please. advice!!!!
2017-12-5
Use props
fansce2e2e58
lvl.1
South Korea

I found the strange point of Crystal Sky today.
When using indpire1v2 and z3 cameras, it only breaks the existing usb c type communication. When I disconnected, I tried to connect with a micro 5 pin. It works very well without interruption.
Crystal Sky is not a problem at the place of purchase. I contacted dji and I will send it along with the airframe. It seems to be the problem with usb communication module. Should I wait for the firmware update to disappear?
If you have a problem with usb c type, please connect with micro 5 pin.
2017-12-6
Use props
fansce2e2e58
lvl.1
South Korea

Hello.
Recently I bought 7.85 CS.
I received the latest firmware update immediately.
Use the Inspire 1 V2 z3 camera.
Symptoms of CS and AC connection are severed.
So I tested it with the previous version of CS. No problem.
Looks like the latest firmware bug.
I do not want to disconnect from the Samsung Tab S3 I use. What is the problem?
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-12-4 09:57
Thanks Mindy. If you read my original post on the top of this thread I listed the firmware version of my CrystalSky (V02.04.02.00) which is the latest.  However, I will post a photo as proof. Guess that means the issue was not solved with that firmware.

I know you have posted the firmware version in the previous post, but our engineers need to verify it. Thank you so much for the cooperation and patience.
I have escalated the issue again to our developers for further test and analysis, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused and I will keep you updated soon, appreciate your time.
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-6 23:02
I know you have posted the firmware version in the previous post, but our engineers need to verify it. Thank you so much for the cooperation and patience.
I have escalated the issue again to our developers for further test and analysis, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused and I will keep you updated soon, appreciate your time.

Update: Our engineers analyzed the log again, sorry that we only find out the result, no process in the log you provided.
Could you please export the tombstone when the issue happen again, please do not power off the CrystalSky before exporting, thanks for the cooperation.
2017-12-7
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-6 23:02

Thank you.
2017-12-7
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

Hi,
I just got the info from StudioSport that my Crystalsky has been checked by DJI repair center, and will be replaced.
The repair tracker allows to have the status, but not the root cause. Is it a way to have it ?
2017-12-8
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-7 04:43
Update: Our engineers analyzed the log again, sorry that we only find out the result, no process in the log you provided.
Could you please export the tombstone when the issue happen again, please do not power off the CrystalSky before exporting, thanks for the cooperation.

Are you asking me to provide you with the CrystalSky logs again? Basically what you're asking me to do is fly my drone again and when CS freezes up "do not power off the CrystalSky before exporting" ?? Do you see the failed logic in your request?

I cannot export the logs when CS is frozen and it MUST be powered off to get it functioning again.

Also, my CrystalSky is GROUNDED until DJI can figure out why it freezes up thereby putting my aircraft at risk. The ball is in your court. Please address this appropriately. Do I need to open an official support ticket? Because I feel like no progress is being made here and you are now asking me for new logs again....
2017-12-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-12-13 09:43
Are you asking me to provide you with the CrystalSky logs again? Basically what you're asking me to do is fly my drone again and when CS freezes up "do not power off the CrystalSky before exporting" ?? Do you see the failed logic in your request?

I cannot export the logs when CS is frozen and it MUST be powered off to get it functioning again.

I was wondering if your CS freezes if you use the micro USB port instead of the DJI mount ?

2017-12-13
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-12-13 17:21
I was wondering if your CS freezes if you use the micro USB port instead of the DJI mount ?

[view_image]

I have never connected it to the RC using that port but I will try it. Thanks.
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

castormalin Posted at 2017-12-8 13:50
Hi,
I just got the info from StudioSport that my Crystalsky has been checked by DJI repair center, and will be replaced.
The repair tracker allows to have the status, but not the root cause. Is it a way to have it ?

Hi there, per the case, the gyroscopic doesn't work well and we swap the monitor for you, the device has been shipped out, hope you will receive it soon.
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-12-13 09:43

Hello Sir, we are really sorry for the inconvenience caused, it's just our engineers need more data for analysis, I fully understand your frustration.
The new firmware will be released soon to improve the stability of CrystalSky, we recommend to update when you are available.
2017-12-14
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-14 01:25
Hello Sir, we are really sorry for the inconvenience caused, it's just our engineers need more data for analysis, I fully understand your frustration.
The new firmware will be released soon to improve the stability of CrystalSky, we recommend to update when you are available.

DJI just released a new firmware update for CS yesterday. Does it address the freezing up issue? It sounds like it does not since you are saying the engineers need more data to figure out the problem.
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-12-14 06:25
DJI just released a new firmware update for CS yesterday. Does it address the freezing up issue? It sounds like it does not since you are saying the engineers need more data to figure out the problem.

The new firmware improves the stability of the whole system, we recommend to update the firmware to have a try if you are convenient.
2017-12-15
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-12-14 01:21
Hi there, per the case, the gyroscopic doesn't work well and we swap the monitor for you, the device has been shipped out, hope you will receive it soon.

Hi Mindy,
Thank you very much for the info. Currently my CS has been received by Studiosport yesterday, I should have it soon.
Since my original CS had the crash issue as well, maybe it can be used by your engineers for the investigation to find the root cause of these crashes (if not fixed by the last FW)
Have a nice Christmas !
2017-12-15
Use props
MtnFlyTime
lvl.1
United States

fansce2e2e58 Posted at 2017-12-6 00:45
I found the strange point of Crystal Sky today.
When using indpire1v2 and z3 cameras, it only breaks the existing usb c type communication. When I disconnected, I tried to connect with a micro 5 pin. It works very well without interruption.
Crystal Sky is not a problem at the place of purchase. I contacted dji and I will send it along with the airframe. It seems to be the problem with usb communication module. Should I wait for the firmware update to disappear?

On my Inspire 2 - I can ONLY get it to work with the USB micro cable...  the USB C in the mount will not even show the Inspire 2 connected.  

On my M600 Pro - it will "connnect" then crash...  giving me the "unfortunately dji go has stopped" error.  I cannot connect via the USB micro at all...  So frustrating...

Works just fine with the USB C on my mavic though...  Crazy...
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

castormalin Posted at 2017-12-15 11:44
Hi Mindy,
Thank you very much for the info. Currently my CS has been received by Studiosport yesterday, I should have it soon.
Since my original CS had the crash issue as well, maybe it can be used by your engineers for the investigation to find the root cause of these crashes (if not fixed by the last FW)

Hi Sir, please test the performance when you get it.
If the APP still keeps crashing, please send us the log for further analysis, thank you.
2017-12-16
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

Hi
Some news here. I received the new one yesterday, and made a short test today.
- About the compass, which was not working on the 1st one . With the second one, the calibration does not work sometimes. When it works, you need to turn the device at least 20 times to get the OK.. When the calibration is successful, the north orientation is stable, but really not accurate (maybe +/- 20-30°). Not very good compared to an iphone or a 'normal' android device, but I don't care too much for this one...
- I had no crash of the crystalsky during my 20 mn test with the Inspire 1, BUT the FPS rate was catastrophic, no more than 2 or 3 frames/ second. Worse than the first one !! . "Display optimization" in the quick settings does not change nothing. Tried different video settings. Tried to reboot during the flight. No change. Of course it's updated at the last version.
I'm really disappointed, and not far to give up with this Crystalsky...Will see with Studiosport what they propose.
2017-12-23
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

I have 2 questions:
1/ Is it possible to use the HDMI output of the Inspire RC as an HDMI input for the Crystalsky ? (guess that it could improve the video rate)
2/ Is it possible to downgrade the Inspire 1 Pro RC and the AC at let's say the 1.8.1.00 (AC)  / 1.6.0  (RC) version
I see that from the crystalsky menu (home page, by pushing top right)  it's possible to downgrade the RC to 1.6.0. But how to downgrade the aircraft without the file ? (with the Inspire 1 the only way is with the microSD card).
What happens if the RC is downgraded to 1.6.0 with the current Aircraft FW 1.11.40 ??
2017-12-25
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

castormalin Posted at 2017-12-25 12:12
I have 2 questions:
1/ Is it possible to use the HDMI output of the Inspire RC as an HDMI input for the Crystalsky ? (guess that it could improve the video rate)
2/ Is it possible to downgrade the Inspire 1 Pro RC and the AC at let's say the 1.8.1.00 (AC)  / 1.6.0  (RC) version

Answer to Question 1: No - the Crystalsky monitors do not have any HDMI input capability - only HDMI output. That's why, as a monitor, they can only be used with DJI drone and OSMO products and for playback of video files on SD cards.
2017-12-25
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

Hi !
Thanks for the answer . That's quite funny, a monitor that has HDMI output capability, but not HDMI input lol  
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules