Absolutely beyond frustrated... Setting up new Mavic Pro
2250 22 2017-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Speedypickup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372024 ft
United States

Hello everyone. I must apologize ahead of time for this rant, as I am absolutely frustrated to my wits end.  First, a little history....

I just purchased and received today a brand spankin new Mavic Pro Fly More Combo kit.  Awesome! Was SO excited to dig in and get started! And, after having watched just about every tutorial video on youtube available for the Mavic Pro while I was waiting for mine to arrive, I figured I should be good to go, as I'm fairly tech-savy and have another RTF quadcopter w/ camera that I had in the air and flying within 15 minutes of getting it home.

Boy, was I ever wrong.... Never before have I encounted such ridiculous difficulties trying to set up and fly anything before.  Seriously, I think I could have less trouble making my Chevy Duramax fly than this mavic pro....

Anyway, sparing you some of the dramatics, I charged all the batteries, the remote controller, my cellphone - everything. Plugged them all in, turned them on, and after finally getting everything to connect, I received an error message on my remote control, stating "mag interference." I tried moving the quadcopter and my remote all over my front yard (I live in the country in the middle of nowhere) and STILL received that error message. So, I tried to calibrate the IMU. Going into the DJI Go 4 app, I selected the appropriate menus to start the IMU calibration, but when I hit the "start calibrating" button, the light on the back of the drone flashed yellow a few times and then started flashing green VERY quickly. I left it go for about 10 minutes, but nothing. I restarted the process, but still nothing.  I called DJI tech support, finally got ahold of a tech support fellow who, no offense to anybody of a different descent but he must have been from India, because I tried my hardest and could barely understand a word he said.  But after about 10 minutes of referring to my "translating India tech support language" app (grin) I finally deciphered that he wanted me to plug in my Mavic Pro to my laptop computer, download a DJI 2 program from the DJI website, which I did, and wanted me to "reset the firmware to basic", which I did.  I then redownloaded the firmware update (V. 01.04.0100 or something like that), ran it through the installation process till I received the "successfully updated" message, and thought 'Excellent! Finally making progress.'  So I reconnected the remote control to my cellphone, connected everything to my drone, fired up my DJI Go 4 app, and what should flash across the screen? A "New firmware is available - Mavic Pro 01.04.0100"!!! AAARRGG!! I just spent 45 minutes downloading and installing this firmware update direct to the drone via USB cable, and yet the app is showing I need to update. What The HE*#!!##%!

Seriously, if I'm having this much trouble just trying to calibrate the IMU, what kind of problems am I going to have calibrating the compass, and then, in another year or two if I actually get to fly this thing, what kind of problems am I gonna encounter then?! I honestly don't understand the idea of putting something into production and selling it to the public that requires IMMEDIATE software downloads, installs, reinstalls, etc.  This is just insane.

Has anybody else had so much problems with just trying to get their drone set up? DJI themselves do not provide hardly ANY basic step-by-step installation helps / manuals - I just have to say, Thank GOD for the wonderfully knowledgable individuals here in the forums and elsewhere who seem to know a lot more about this than DJI themselves....

2017-11-27
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

You will find the Full Mavic Pro user guide here ..

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

I suspect that the firmware message you received was for the battery  ?  If you have more than one then you may have to update the firmware in each battery.

What firmware did your new Mavic arrive with ??
2017-11-27
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-11-27 16:53
You will find the Full Mavic Pro user guide here ..

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

Hmm... thank you - I didn't think about having to update the firmware for each battery separately. (I have three batteries).  I'll have to plug each on into the drone (individually of course) and update them all.

That's the crazy thing - My drone came with the latest 01.04.0100 patch, but the fellow on the tech support line told me to delete that by restoring everything to the "default firmware", and then instructed me to download that same patch and reinstall it.  Which has been a huge source of my frustrations - Like I said, with the help of wonderful, knowledgeable individuals like yourself, I know I'll eventually get this baby up and flying. But it's frustrating that it takes literally hours to DAYS to get it up and flying.  If I had to go through this process when I bought a new vehicle, I'd go back to horse and buggy... haha.
Thank you again for any and all suggestions - they're much appreciated.
2017-11-27
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Let us know how you get on with your first flights ... Remember to find a nice open spot for your first flights as this will help you get used to the Mavic acceleration and stopping distance plus it takes a bit of time to get used to flight orentation as left and right when something is flying away from you is fine but when it's coming towards you is not always easy to get right first time

Good luck and happy flying.
2017-11-27
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Take your time and be patient, this is probably a blessing in disguise. You've learned about batteries. Pay special attention to the return to home function and make sure you know how that works before you engage it. Same about obstacle avoidance. Don't forget to remove the gimbal clamp before you power up. Hover on your first flight and explore the Go app, see what's in there. And don't hesitate to come back here to ask questions.
2017-11-27
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You'll notice with IMU Calibration after starting it that the orientation of the AC images changes for each step, as you move it the green flashing indicates it's ready for the next position.
Check out the screen image for the right AC orientation, wait for the green flashing and then move the AC to the next position
2017-11-27
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165213 ft
Australia

Hang in there Speedy, we probably all had some issues (some worse than others), but it truly is an awesome thing once it all works, you will have lots of fun!
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please give it some time to get all things updated, and if there is a mag interference, try to move another place and calibrate the compass if necessary. When the drone status indicates all normal, you can send the drone to the air then. I also felt the same when I first got a DJI drone, it would be a little complex to prepare the flight, so I understand your feeling. But when the drone is ready to fly, things will be easy. So, hope you can get the things sorted out soon and enjoy the time of flying.
2017-11-27
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-11-27 17:49
Let us know how you get on with your first flights ... Remember to find a nice open spot for your first flights as this will help you get used to the Mavic acceleration and stopping distance plus it takes a bit of time to get used to flight orentation as left and right when something is flying away from you is fine but when it's coming towards you is not always easy to get right first time

Good luck and happy flying.

Thank you After spending another couple hours downloading and connecting and disconnecting and switching to wifi and then to Remote Control, back and forth several times, I finally was able to get the IMU calibration test completed and then the compass adjustment completed as well. Once I finally had the "ready to fly" signal flash up on my controller, I couldn't wait. It may be 11PM and dark out, I had to try it out (just in my driveway - no dangerous night time flying above the trees or anything like that lol). So, for my first maiden "flight" I fired up the motors and hovered at approximately 5 feet above the ground, and spent the first battery life just getting the feel of adjusting the camera angle, practicing going forward and backward, left, right, yawing, etc. Oh what a wonderful feeling it was to have this baby airborne! Tomorrow, when the sun comes up, I plan on actually flying around my property with it.

Incidentally, this does bring up one more question - from what I understand, the Drone should be set to WiFi mode in order to fly by cellphone, and to Remote mode to fly by the remote controller, correct? Now, where I live, I do not have any cell service, and I've noticed that my DJI Go 4 app doesn't seem to connect to the drone unless I have the drone set to Wifi. But doing so eliminates being able to use my Remote Controller.  So what I had to do what first switch the drone to Wifi, connect my DJI Go 4 app on my cellpone, then shut off the drone and switch the mode to Remote Control, fire it back up, and THEN my remote will be connected to the drone, as well as my DJI Go 4 app. Does that sound normal? Or is there an easier process involved to get everything connected? (Remember, I do NOT have cell service where I live so the only internet access I have is through my router's wifi).
2017-11-27
Use props
gfab71
Second Officer
Flight distance : 492874 ft
  • >>>
Italy

A friend of mine had same issue ("Mag interference" on the RC + "check internet connection" on the smartphone during the activation process..) , and after days of struggle and bad thoughts has resolved doing the activation process through another smartphone, upgrading firmware in the Mavic and RC, and unistalling and reinstalling the DJIGO4 app on his smartphone.
Hope that these simple steps can be useful to you...
here's a similar issue post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-112119-1-1.html
2017-11-27
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

gfab71 Posted at 2017-11-27 22:14
A friend of mine had same issue ("Mag interference" on the RC + "check internet connection" on the smartphone during the activation process..) , and after days of struggle and bad thoughts has resolved doing the activation process through another smartphone, upgrading firmware in the Mavic and RC, and unistalling and reinstalling the DJIGO4 app on his smartphone.
Hope that these simple steps can be useful to you...
here's a similar issue post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-112119-1-1.html

Thank you - I read through his entire forum, and it does sound very similar, though I have not quite had the issue with registering the unit or getting an internet connection. But thank you for sharing the link. Every other thread I read about other people's problems helps me not feel so alone with mine.... lol. I'm thinking a lot of my problems are stemming from the fact that I don't have any cell service where I live so I'm not able to make internet connections with both wifi and cellular signal at the same time, only wifi. Maybe?
2017-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Speedypickup Posted at 2017-11-27 21:55
Thank you  After spending another couple hours downloading and connecting and disconnecting and switching to wifi and then to Remote Control, back and forth several times, I finally was able to get the IMU calibration test completed and then the compass adjustment completed as well. Once I finally had the "ready to fly" signal flash up on my controller, I couldn't wait. It may be 11PM and dark out, I had to try it out (just in my driveway - no dangerous night time flying above the trees or anything like that lol). So, for my first maiden "flight" I fired up the motors and hovered at approximately 5 feet above the ground, and spent the first battery life just getting the feel of adjusting the camera angle, practicing going forward and backward, left, right, yawing, etc. Oh what a wonderful feeling it was to have this baby airborne! Tomorrow, when the sun comes up, I plan on actually flying around my property with it.

Incidentally, this does bring up one more question - from what I understand, the Drone should be set to WiFi mode in order to fly by cellphone, and to Remote mode to fly by the remote controller, correct? Now, where I live, I do not have any cell service, and I've noticed that my DJI Go 4 app doesn't seem to connect to the drone unless I have the drone set to Wifi. But doing so eliminates being able to use my Remote Controller.  So what I had to do what first switch the drone to Wifi, connect my DJI Go 4 app on my cellpone, then shut off the drone and switch the mode to Remote Control, fire it back up, and THEN my remote will be connected to the drone, as well as my DJI Go 4 app. Does that sound normal? Or is there an easier process involved to get everything connected? (Remember, I do NOT have cell service where I live so the only internet access I have is through my router's wifi).

Good thing you have made progress.
I know the feeling (although it went rather smooth comparing to your experience).
I have set it to RC and it works great.
As long as you connect at least once when you have Wifi coverage (indoor etc.) you should be ok.
2017-11-28
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

A magnetic interference asks you to calibrate your compass, why did you go for the IMU? Nevertheless, check one of those videos on how to do it, it's not that difficult, but it's important that the drone is cold (you can use your AC i.e. on your car to cool it down) when you do it and that you find a perfectly flat surface to place the drone for the calibration.
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-11-28 00:51
A magnetic interference asks you to calibrate your compass, why did you go for the IMU? Nevertheless, check one of those videos on how to do it, it's not that difficult, but it's important that the drone is cold (you can use your AC i.e. on your car to cool it down) when you do it and that you find a perfectly flat surface to place the drone for the calibration.

I wanted to calibrate the IMU as well because I saw how many individuals recommend that you do that as soon as you receive the Mavic Pro.  They said about how both the IMU and the compass should be calibrated right out of the box. And thank you for the tips about keeping the drone cool - I don't have AC, but I did use an ice pack out of the freezer and set it in front of the drone (gimbal end) and used a fan to blow the cool air from the ice pack over the drone during the process, cause I did notice that the cooling fins tended to get rather warm during my whole downloading and installation of the firmware updates and IMU calibration.
2017-11-28
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

seja bem vindo ao mundo dos drones
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

FIRST MAIDEN VOYAGE!! Photo included....

SO!! Today, it's a bright, beautiful sunny day here in Northern Pennsylvania, a tad breezy, but nothing too bad. So, I got the Mavic out for its first maiden flight. What a blast it was!!  I was nervous as all get out after reading so many horror stories of drones that up and fly away, never to return, glitch out and come crashing to the ground, etc. So, I made SURE SURE SURE that I set a return to home point, flew it out into the field maybe 150-200 feet, then hit the return to home button on the controller and watched as it zipped up to my preset 60 meters for the RTH flight, watched it come sailing back towards me, and then slowly descend and land within INCHES of where I started. HOW FANTASTIC IS THAT?! But, wanting to still make absolutely sure that it was going to work again, I took it out maybe 300 feet this time and in a different direction, hit the RTH button, and watched the Mavic perform his magic of soaring up to about 190 feet (my RTH ceiling level, to make sure I cleared any and all obstacles) and came sailing back home, landing perfectly again.  I'm stoked!! So next flight, I took it out about 1,500 feet away from me (still in open fields with excellent line of sight) and took it up approximately 190 feet, snapped a photo of my flying grounds (which I'll post here for you all to see), and then my controller started freaking out.  It was buzzing and vibrating so much one would have thought I held the final switch to set off the world's supply of nukes... haha. The MAIN message that I saw was that my controller "lost signal" with the drone.  Then of course my DJI app suddenly crashed.  Now that, of course, was not too much of a surprise, given all the problems I'm seeing people have with it.  But, for my first real maiden voyage having the remote lose signal with my drone freaked me out a little bit. Nevertheless, I remained calm and hit the RTH button and..... nothing. The drone stayed hovering up at a cool 190-200 feet, approximately 1,500 feet away.  I still didn't panic, but tried the RTH button again. Still nothing. I attempted to restart the DJI Go app, and finally after starting up, I got a little blip of screen back, asking me if I wanted to return to home. I touched the "ok" button on my phone, but.... alas! nothing. So I tried manually overriding it by using the joysticks and fortunately, EVEN THOUGH THE CONTROLLER SAID LOST SIGNAL, I was able to pilot the Mavic back to within maybe 200 feet of me, and then suddenly the RTH kicked in, sending my drone zipping back up to roughly 190 feet in the air, came back over to the perfect hovering spot, descended to within about 4 feet of the ground, and then just hovered there, it didn't finish landing. I was able to do that manually by holding down on the controller stick. It was down. Motors off. Thank heavens!! haha.

So, I'm not sure exactly why I lost signal when I had an absolutely CLEAR line of sight of my drone (if you look closely, you can see me standing by the driveway in the grass... lol). Scared the poop out of me, but, all ended well.  Any ideas though as to why I would lose signal with the drone when I was only 1,500 feet out and 190 feet in altitude?

(By the way, I had previously set my maximum altitude to 120 meters so as to never go above that 400' limit).

Thanks for any replies and comments / suggestions.

2017-11-28
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32904 ft
United States

I had a few minor issues (nothing compared to yours) and the Forums/tutorials were fabulous. Got me updated and flying in no time. I also have flown in areas that have no internet/cell signal. Once you're "logged in" to your Dji go 4 app, you can put your phone into airplane mode (AM) and the Mavic will link up to your remote/phone no problems. I did this several times when traveling to Hawaii, and Guadalupe Islands- The images are amazing and I hope you have as much fun as I have.
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

PSDTrainer Posted at 2017-11-28 10:19
I had a few minor issues (nothing compared to yours) and the Forums/tutorials were fabulous. Got me updated and flying in no time. I also have flown in areas that have no internet/cell signal. Once you're "logged in" to your Dji go 4 app, you can put your phone into airplane mode (AM) and the Mavic will link up to your remote/phone no problems. I did this several times when traveling to Hawaii, and Guadalupe Islands- The images are amazing and I hope you have as much fun as I have. [view_image]

That is gorgeous!! Great picture! Thanks for the info, and happy flying!
2017-11-28
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
United States

You should have much more travel before losing connection. Are your antenna's oriented properly? Beaitiful area to fly in by the way!
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-11-28 11:35
You should have much more travel before losing connection. Are your antenna's oriented properly? Beaitiful area to fly in by the way!

Hello!
Thank you, yes, it's a gorgeous area, especially when the leaves are all colored so beautifully!
Yes, I made sure to have the antennas on the remote at the 45-degree angle and perpendicular to each other.  I did a 2nd test flight after charging up the battery again and this time I didn't have the problem of losing connection. So I took it out to about 1,800 feet away at a height of 370 feet and did not have any problems other than my dji go app crashing again. But at least the remote had contact and control the whole time. So, I'm not sure what caused the lost connection the first time - must be a fluke I guess.
2017-11-28
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
United States

Sounds like you're working through the problems one by one. I'm guessing you have an android phone.
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-11-28 12:18
Sounds like you're working through the problems one by one. I'm guessing you have an android phone.

Yes, that's correct - I have an older Droid Turbo.  Which, amazingly enough, seems to work better when the drone is farther away. The closer the drone gets to me, the more lagging I seem to notice on my screen.  As far as the app crashing, though, that seems to happen at totally random times, whether the drone is near or far away.

But yes, you're correct - with the help of all of you here on this forum and instructional videos on youtube, I'm slowly getting everything worked out and figured out.  In fact, I took it for another flight today, and today (still an area with no cell service) everything worked absolutely beautifully!! I still don't understand why there's such an issue for the majority of Mavic Pro owners right out of the box, but, when you finally DO get it up and running, my oh my is it ever amazing!!
2017-11-28
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32904 ft
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2017-11-28 10:27
That is gorgeous!! Great picture! Thanks for the info, and happy flying!

Thanks! Same to you and a Happy New Year!
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules