1893 30 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adam C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 336145 ft
Canada

Hi fellow flyers!
Well, I finally decided to join the DJI club and got myself a piece of marvel called Mavic. Been flying it for a couple of months now and I think I finally figured it out how to get the max out of it's tiny camera but...
...but one issue remains and it's been there since day one. Some time ago I noticed that the camera is sort of out of focus in one particular area. Tried different things to understand what's going on and then I realized that I see it in every footage since day one, no matter what settings I use. The problem is that the upper left corner of the image is permanently out of focus. Now, if I tap on that area to get it in focus then the rest od the video is out! Whatta pain! I think my camera has a problem I can't fix myself.
2017-11-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The problem you described is a known issue with some Mavics. It used to be fairly common but now is much less so, though as you've seen it still occasionally crops up.

I think my camera has a problem I can't fix myself.

Unfortunately that's true: you'll need to open a case with DJI and send your Mavic in to get a warranty replacement.

2017-11-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You might try recalibrating the gimbal before opening a return request, kind of a long shot but worth doing -- one user reported it fixing her problem.
2017-11-28
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-28 16:50
You might try recalibrating the gimbal before opening a return request, kind of a long shot but worth doing -- one user reported it fixing her problem.

Haven't tried that yet. Thanks for your suggestion.
2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please try to reset the camera settings and try to use auto focus. If the issue persists, we would like to check the video first. So would you please upload an original sample from SD card to Dropbox so I can catch it? Thanks in advance.
2017-11-28
Use props
AlejandroCalori
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18530 ft

Argentina

You don't have any stickers of some sort near the lens, right?
2017-11-28
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-28 20:23
Please try to reset the camera settings and try to use auto focus. If the issue persists, we would like to check the video first. So would you please upload an original sample from SD card to Dropbox so I can catch it? Thanks in advance.

Thank you Thor for your quick response. Here are the links to a few frames extracted from the footage. From day one up to last Monday. All videos taken with AF on in good lighting conditions. Defaulting camera setting was the first thing I tried. Also I tried different color modes and styles with no luck. Yesterday tried calibrating the gimbal and as expected it did not help.

Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34wqca6k1hymlvi/DJI_0007.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8xcfla9psec5rf/DJI_0439.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw2vamrtuwhf7tc/DJI_0525.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t4cgz ... %20%282%29.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/019s170v6vb1hjy/DJI_0530.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqg1u0kwdd6r8e4/DJI_0532.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv2tqp ... ox%20Paper.url?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rczme4 ... %20Dropbox.pdf?dl=0

The problem as you can see is very obvious. Every picture is out of focus in the left upper corner. AF metering at the center of the frame.  When you look at each corner of every picture you can definitely tell which one is out of focus.
2017-11-29
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-28 16:50

Well, it did not help. I just replied to DJI Thor and you are welcomed to take a look at a few frames extracted from the footage.

Happy flying!
2017-11-29
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

AlejandroCalori Posted at 2017-11-28 20:48
You don't have any stickers of some sort near the lens, right?

Thanks Alejandro,

The only sticker I have on my Mavic is the factory placed one on the front arm with the WiFi credentials ans serial number.
2017-11-29
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Adam C Posted at 2017-11-29 16:26
Well, it did not help. I just replied to DJI Thor and you are welcomed to take a look at a few frames extracted from the footage.

Happy flying!

Yeah, I expected it to be a long shot. I looked at a couple of your examples, sure looks like a decentered lens to me. Good luck with the return and sorry you have to go through all this.
2017-11-29
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-29 20:00
Yeah, I expected it to be a long shot. I looked at a couple of your examples, sure looks like a decentered lens to me. Good luck with the return and sorry you have to go through all this.

"a decentered lens"

... you mean a warranty repair, right? I'm still waiting for Thor's reply on this matter. Thanks a lot for your support!
2017-11-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Adam C Posted at 2017-11-30 18:22
"a decentered lens"

... you mean a warranty repair, right? I'm still waiting for Thor's reply on this matter. Thanks a lot for your support!

Yes, that's the term for the problem you are exhibiting, and I'd expect that to be covered under your standard warranty.
2017-11-30
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-30 18:35
Yes, that's the term for the problem you are exhibiting, and I'd expect that to be covered under your standard warranty.

I did some research today on this particular problem and found others having the same symptoms. Moreover, some owners complain that the problem was actually worse after getting their Mavic back! Scary!
2017-11-30
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-11-30 18:35

It isn't covered when you realize that, as Adam C points out, many reports of people getting back their unit with the problem not solved (which is just bizarre because it only requires replacement of the very inexpensive camera module).

I have contacted DJI requesting to have a replacement camera module sent to me as I am perfectly capable of performing this simple repair myself. This would save both myself and DJI time and money, and I will report my results here.
2017-12-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-12-1 02:22
It isn't covered when you realize that, as Adam C points out, many reports of people getting back their unit with the problem not solved (which is just bizarre because it only requires replacement of the very inexpensive camera module).

I have contacted DJI requesting to have a replacement camera module sent to me as I am perfectly capable of performing this simple repair myself. This would save both myself and DJI time and money, and I will report my results here.

I suspect what might be happening there is that repairs aren't actually performed, rather, new units with the same problem are being returned to owners. However, I think most decentered lens cases are being satisfactorily resolved -- you generally just hear about the ones that weren't. Hope yours is resolved soon -- that's got to be super-annoying.
2017-12-1
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-1 07:04
I suspect what might be happening there is that repairs aren't actually performed, rather, new units with the same problem are being returned to owners. However, I think most decentered lens cases are being satisfactorily resolved -- you generally just hear about the ones that weren't. Hope yours is resolved soon -- that's got to be super-annoying.

Hi!

I just uploaded another piece of footage taken today, Dec 1. The camera is in the D-Log mode 0-0-0.
As you guys can see the upper left corner remains out of focus for approx. 19 secs then I tapped the screen in the blurry area and it instantly gets focused but... then the rest of the image becomes blurry. Uhgrrr, it's a pain in the rear end! DJI Thor still hasn't replied to me.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j90hgt37vxs9zn9/camera%20issue.mp4?dl=0
2017-12-1
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

sigkill Posted at 2017-12-1 02:22

I'm still waiting for DJI Thor to reply to my post. I just uploaded another video taken today where the problem with focusing is very obvious.

Wondering how the unit had passed the quality inspection before shipment and then yet again never been properly inspected before being send back to to the customer. Should I start praying for my Mavic or just put my trust in the company???
2017-12-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

I’d open a support case and see about getting a replacement, no need to wait for Thor, who’ll likely tell you to do the same.
2017-12-1
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-1 07:04

Thanks, yep it is a disappointment for sure, about 15% of the left side of all images are noticeably blurry. The only way to record without the blur is to use a lower resolution and then zoom in. Interestingly, if I touch the blur zone to try and focus that area, the Mavic gets caught in an infinite loop trying over and over again to focus. I hope DJI can send me a replacement camera under warranty and one that has been tested with correct lens alignment. Oh boy yep that sure would be a great thing let me tell you.
2017-12-2
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-1 19:43
I’d open a support case and see about getting a replacement, no need to wait for Thor, who’ll likely tell you to do the same.

Yeah, it's time for me to take action otherwise it could be the most expensive brick I've ever bought.
2017-12-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Adam C Posted at 2017-11-29 16:24
Thank you Thor for your quick response. Here are the links to a few frames extracted from the footage. From day one up to last Monday. All videos taken with AF on in good lighting conditions. Defaulting camera setting was the first thing I tried. Also I tried different color modes and styles with no luck. Yesterday tried calibrating the gimbal and as expected it did not help.

Here are the links:

Hi Adam, I am sorry for missing your message and the late reply, after checking the pics you provided, please check is the lens is clean and make sure that the gimbal cover is removed, if it is still the same case, please send it back and we will take care of it.
Please contact support@dji.com for a further help.
2017-12-4
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-4 00:27
Hi Adam, I am sorry for missing your message and the late reply, after checking the pics you provided, please check is the lens is clean and make sure that the gimbal cover is removed, if it is still the same case, please send it back and we will take care of it.
Please contact  for a further help.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the lens is as clear as it can be. I never fly with the cover. Besides the tabs on the cover broke off just a few days after the purchase and hopefully you guys can include a new cover that could last for as long as I own this UAV.  I will contact your tech support soon.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Adam C Posted at 2017-12-4 17:41
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the lens is as clear as it can be. I never fly with the cover. Besides the tabs on the cover broke off just a few days after the purchase and hopefully you guys can include a new cover that could last for as long as I own this UAV.  I will contact your tech support soon.

You can note the gimbal cover on the case log. Hope you can get the drone back soon.
2017-12-4
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-4 00:27
Please contact  for a further help.

DJI might want to consider sending replacement parts for people to do their own repairs. When DJI replaces a drone with a defective part, with a different drone that includes limitations that the original drone did not have, in Canada this can be considered a form of REVERSE BILLING and is ILLEGAL. This is a type of theft and DJI can be sued for doing it.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

sigkill Posted at 2017-12-4 22:00
DJI might want to consider sending replacement parts for people to do their own repairs. When DJI replaces a drone with a defective part, with a different drone that includes limitations that the original drone did not have, in Canada this can be considered a form of REVERSE BILLING and is ILLEGAL. This is a type of theft and DJI can be sued for doing it.

Hi sir, thank you for bringing us the attention. But to ensure the performance of the drone, we don't suggestion repairing the drone by the individual or the unauthorized repair department. And when we receive the drone, we will do a professional overall check and confirm the drone's performance. So it is not available at the moment. But for your request, I will transfer your idea to the related team to let them know. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-12-6
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the exact same issue with my Mavic purchased around this time last year, meaning it was one of the first ones. For a long time I wasn't well versed enough in looking at video footage to really tell exactly what the issue was, but eventually I started noticing it, and looked through all my footage to find the left side blur issue in all of my footage. I was apprehensive to send it back because I have read so many stories of it taking months, getting the same drone back unfixed, etc, but I finally sent it in last week (wasn't even asked to show photos or video examples of the issue).

The process was insanely quick and easy. Once DJI received the drone, it took a matter of a few days for them to replace it and ship it back. Haven't used the replacement yet as its arriving Monday, but I will report back on whether the issue is fixed or not.
2017-12-6
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-12-6 10:38
I had the exact same issue with my Mavic purchased around this time last year, meaning it was one of the first ones. For a long time I wasn't well versed enough in looking at video footage to really tell exactly what the issue was, but eventually I started noticing it, and looked through all my footage to find the left side blur issue in all of my footage. I was apprehensive to send it back because I have read so many stories of it taking months, getting the same drone back unfixed, etc, but I finally sent it in last week (wasn't even asked to show photos or video examples of the issue).

The process was insanely quick and easy. Once DJI received the drone, it took a matter of a few days for them to replace it and ship it back. Haven't used the replacement yet as its arriving Monday, but I will report back on whether the issue is fixed or not.

That sounds encouraging. Haven't sent mine back yet.
2017-12-11
Use props
Adam C
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-4 20:10
You can note the gimbal cover on the case log. Hope you can get the drone back soon.

Thanks Thor, I will send it to DJI soon. Currently I'm on a business trip till Dec 15.
2017-12-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Adam C Posted at 2017-12-11 17:57
Thanks Thor, I will send it to DJI soon. Currently I'm on a business trip till Dec 15.

No problems. Hope your work goes smoothly and have a nice day.
2017-12-11
Use props
mstrauss7140
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62129 ft
United States

I just sent my mavic in with a similar focus issue. I will update you with the results of my experience. I hope they fix the problem as I love everything about the Mavic except the camera.
2017-12-13
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Seems to be a common issue?

When I take a photo the top left corner is out of focus for me too. I only noticed yesterday. Although mine is not super bad.
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules