Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SOLVED: Brand new iPhone 8 Plus wouldn't connect to DJI Go4 app
2978 6 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I have been hitting up a few threads on this board for an issue I encountered last weekend after picking up a brand new iPhone 8 Plus (256gb).

The DJI Go4 app would continually say "disconnected" despite the battery symbol lighting up when connecting the phone to the Mavic RC. The latest iOS and latest version of the DJI Go4 app were installed but I couldn't get it to connect to the Mavic's video feed. I tested on 3 other iPhone 8's from my co-workers at the office and each one connected right away. In live chatting with DJI Support, the rep told me to mail my Mavic into the support team. This is laughable because my Mavic has over 30 hours of flight time and I've never had an issue.

My original restoration of data on the new phone came from my iCloud account. Tonight I did a local backup in iTunes, wiped clean my phone's data and settings and restored to factory settings, set up the phone as a new phone (I didn't restore anything during the start up process), then after the phone was up and running with all the default apps and settings, I restored at that point my local backup. I am now able to connect to the Go 4 app with my iPhone 8 Plus, it seems my original restoration from iCloud may have had to do with the app not functioning properly despite deleting and re-downloading the app after I initially discovered the issue (no other issues with my phone or other apps were occurring).

In summary, if you're having an issue where a new iPhone is not connecting to the DJI Go4 app, I suggest trying a fresh backup into iTunes, wipe clean the phone and reset to factory settings, let the phone boot up to the default apps, then restore the phone with your local backup in iTunes. What a headache! To boot, I am super disappointed in the fact that my new Osmo Mobile won't record in 4k @ 60fps, only 30fps, due to the settings in the DJI Go app.
DJIs stock went down in my book just a bit this week, but I still love my Mavic and thankfully am back in business

Edit: Key point in this process - restore the phone AFTER you have started the phone "as new iPhone" during the boot process. When the phone has been cleared and is starting fresh with no data installed, you will be prompted to restore from iCloud, from iTunes, or start a new phone. To fix the issue, you will want to start a new phone (not restore during boot), load up the default apps, then plug the phone into iTunes and restore. I don't suggest running a restore at the restore prompt screen during the phone boot process, because the first time I restored from iTunes from the boot screen the issue persisted once the restore was complete. Hope that makes sense!

2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Happy for your solving the connection issue, but for OSMO Mobile, it mostly relates to your mobile device. If your mobile device doesn't support 4k @ 60fps, it wouldn't support.
2017-11-28
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-28 20:10
Happy for your solving the connection issue, but for OSMO Mobile, it mostly relates to your mobile device. If your mobile device doesn't support 4k @ 60fps, it wouldn't support.

Hey Thor, the iPhone 8 Plus records in 4k @ 60fps, the DJI Go App only allows the camera setting in 720, 1080 and 4k @ 30fps. However, in playing around with the Osmo some more last night, you can still use the controls of the gimbal in the regular iPhone camera app. All that said, I'm pretty happy with the Osmo after all and relieved that my Mavic connects to the Go4 app. Thanks
2017-11-29
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks for your tip of completely restore the iPhone.  But mine already start off with backup from iTunes instead of iCloud, so wonder restore another time will go to solve this connection issue.  The IOS restore process is a nightmare which need to unpair my apple watch, all apple pay etc.  I will wait a bit more and hopefully DJI might come up something earlier.
2017-11-29
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
United States

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-11-29 21:04
Thanks for your tip of completely restore the iPhone.  But mine already start off with backup from iTunes instead of iCloud, so wonder restore another time will go to solve this connection issue.  The IOS restore process is a nightmare which need to unpair my apple watch, all apple pay etc.  I will wait a bit more and hopefully DJI might come up something earlier.

A key point in my resolution: Do not restore from the boot up screen that asks you to restore. Select "Start as new phone", let the phone load with default apps and settings, then plug your iPhone into iTunes and restore. What I found was that the iTunes restore from the boot screen where it asks you if you want to restore from iCloud or iTunes made the issue persist. The second time I cleared my phone, I let the phone load with default apps and settings (selecting "start as new phone" during boot), THEN I connected my phone to iTunes and ran the restore process.

Flew my Mavic Pro on my iPhone 8 Plus screen yesterday and it worked like it had for the prior 30+ flight hours on my iPhone 6
2017-11-30
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-11-30 06:53
A key point in my resolution: Do not restore from the boot up screen that asks you to restore. Select "Start as new phone", let the phone load with default apps and settings, then plug your iPhone into iTunes and restore. What I found was that the iTunes restore from the boot screen where it asks you if you want to restore from iCloud or iTunes made the issue persist. The second time I cleared my phone, I let the phone load with default apps and settings (selecting "start as new phone" during boot), THEN I connected my phone to iTunes and ran the restore process.

Flew my Mavic Pro on my iPhone 8 Plus screen yesterday and it worked like it had for the prior 30+ flight hours on my iPhone 6

Thanks for your tips once again.  Well I will give this a try if nothing come from DJI two more weeks, I will try with your suggestion.
2017-11-30
Use props
jcgoobee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476119 ft
United States

Just want to chime in that the solution Wind Junkie has provided worked!!!  It was a hassle but yes it did work for me. Thanks to him for the great solution. Saved me a lot of nightmare.
2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules