Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do You Use the Low Resolution Video File on the SD Card
1873 23 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I am not sure about the other Phantom series but the P4Pro saves the full resolution video file onto the SD card. At the same time, it also saves another low resolution copy of the video onto the same SD card. In addition to this, a low resolution copy of the video file is also transmitted to the phone/tablet.
I would like to know if anyone has ever, or would ever, use the low resolution copy of the video file from the SD card because I think the drone resources would be put to better use on ensuring the quality of the full resolution video file and not have the added burden of creating a second low resolution copy of the video file on the SC card.

A thread on the topic:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-121183-1-4.html
Single SelectVote, Total 10 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

90.00% (9)
10.00% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-11-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No-one uses them, they are a waste of space.
I explained how to prevent them appearing in the other thread where you asked:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6&fromuid=10818
2017-11-28
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

The 720 film can be used to make a pre-cut for video processing, its easier to handle than working with 4k directly and most people don’t have the equipment to handle 4k direct. I personally make a 1080 copy of my 4k films and use that.

The second and perhaps most valuable reason to have the controller copy is, that it may become, the last visual reference of where your drone went down.

I do not believe that the 720 is a waste of resources, the video must be sent to the controller anyway, so you can see what your drone sees, the requirement to save it means only that adequate storage has to be available.  

If it bothers you turn it off. See below:

Or set it up as you think it is most efficient.
2017-11-28
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Germany

Labroides, has a better “how and where to turn off” picture.
2017-11-28
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-28 23:39
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=121183&pid=1054546&fromuid=10818

Sorry Labroides I was typing as you posted.
2017-11-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to use proxies in premier pro, none of my machines can work with 4k too stuttery :/
But i wouldnt, personally, turn off  the phone video, i have a 32gb card in there anyway so no space issues
as Dockater said, it can be a valuable tool in locating you pride and joy
2017-11-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=121183&pid=1054546&fromuid=10818

I am not referring to the cached copy. I am referring to the second copy on the sd card. There is no way to stop the low resolution copy being written to the sd card.
2017-11-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-28 23:55
Labroides, has a better “how and where to turn off” picture.

This is very frustrating trying to explain what I mean. It is the low resolution copy on the sd card, not the one in the phone or tablet.
2017-11-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-28 23:49
The 720 film can be used to make a pre-cut for video processing, its easier to handle than working with 4k directly and most people don’t have the equipment to handle 4k direct. I personally make a 1080 copy of my 4k films and use that.

The second and perhaps most valuable reason to have the controller copy is, that it may become, the last visual reference of where your drone went down.

If the drone goes down, then the sd card goes with it. I am referring to the 720 copy on the sd card, not the cached copy.
2017-11-29
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Germany

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-29 02:17
If the drone goes down, then the sd card goes with it. I am referring to the 720 copy on the sd card, not the cached copy.

Sorry, yes, indeed, you are perfectly right, are you related to my wife perchance?

Did not think of that copy, I use a Mac and those files are usually hidden, again the only resources it really ties up are the memory though. Use a 32GB SD card, back up regularly and reformat the card, but I am sure you do that already.
2017-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-29 02:13
I am not referring to the cached copy. I am referring to the second copy on the sd card. There is no way to stop the low resolution copy being written to the sd card.

I showed you how to prevent the second copy going to your SD card.
Look again at:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6&fromuid=10818
2017-11-29
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-29 03:11
Look again at:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=121183&pid=1054546&fromuid=10818

Isn't that  the cached copy on your phone or tablet you are talking about?  there is also a low res copy on the Drone SD card in the \MISC\THM\100 directory which can't be turned off
2017-11-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

M109 Posted at 2017-11-29 03:47
Isn't that  the cached copy on your phone or tablet you are talking about?  there is also a low res copy on the Drone SD card in the \MISC\THM\100 directory which can't be turned off

If you think that, just look carefully at the illustration I provided.
There are two yellow arrows.
Read the text next to each of them.
2017-11-29
Use props
dcap
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i have used the smaller videos(the one on the sd in the bird in the hidden folder) off the sd to put on my phone to take up less space.
2017-11-29
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

The possibility to switch the "Cache on SD" off, is not a part of the GO 4 App on the crappy minus (+) RC with buildin display. :-(
2017-11-29
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

As stated in the other thread i find it a waste of card space and resources to have them on the SD. I am not gonna use it for anything, only the 4K movies.
2017-11-29
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-29 03:55
If you think that, just look carefully at the illustration I provided.
There are two yellow arrows.
Read the text next to each of them.

Yes, and the top arrow turns the local cache on or off, local cache is the cache on your tablet or phone, the lower arrow tells DJI GO4 where to store the local cache, on your phone or tablets built in memory OR on a memory card inserted into your phone or tablet neither of which have anything to do with the memory card inserted into the Drone. Doesn't matter if the local cache is on or off there will always be a low res copy on the Drones memory card at \MISC\THM\100
2017-11-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-29 03:15
Look again at:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=121183&pid=1054546&fromuid=10818

I know you keep saying this like a stuck record but that is an Android feature and refers to caching them to an SD card in the Android device.
I use IOS and do not have that feature. It still does not refer to the SD card in the drone.

This is my screen:
2017-11-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-29 03:01
Sorry, yes, indeed, you are perfectly right, are you related to my wife perchance?

Did not think of that copy, I use a Mac and those files are usually hidden, again the only resources it really ties up are the memory though. Use a 32GB SD card, back up regularly and reformat the card, but I am sure you do that already.

Well that is a win for a change because according to my lesser half, some days I can't get anything right.
There are some programs that transfer the videos from the sd card to the pc and think they are smart by also transferring the 720 copy with the same photo number and a _1 at the end which is a nuisance.
2017-11-29
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Germany

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-29 22:13
Well that is a win for a change because according to my lesser half, some days I can't get anything right.
There are some programs that transfer the videos from the sd card to the pc and think they are smart by also transferring the 720 copy with the same photo number and a _1 at the end which is a nuisance.

One way or another I do not think you are going to get a census here, only points, I suspect DJI have got the message and it is on a list somewhere. As to those “some days I can’t get anything right”, here is a possible solution. Supplied by a “lesser half”.

2017-11-30
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Dockater Posted at 2017-11-30 00:21
One way or another I do not think you are going to get a census here, only points, I suspect DJI have got the message and it is on a list somewhere. As to those “some days I can’t get anything right”, here is a possible solution. Supplied by a “lesser half”.

[view_image]

I like the advice.
Just wish DJI could understand that every unnecessary and irrelevant task the drone has to perform means some other more important task misses out. I just wonder if we could get even better video quality if it just concentrated on the original file.
2017-11-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-30 16:09
I like the advice.
Just wish DJI could understand that every unnecessary and irrelevant task the drone has to perform means some other more important task misses out. I just wonder if we could get even better video quality if it just concentrated on the original file.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. You are assuming that there is only one processor in the aircraft and it has to share it's tasks. There are a number of individual processors, each doing specific things, and the video processor is only concerned with the recording process. It obviously has plenty of available capacity if it is able to record proxies on the fly, otherwise it would not be attempting to do it.
2017-11-30
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-11-30 16:21
No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. You are assuming that there is only one processor in the aircraft and it has to share it's tasks. There are a number of individual processors, each doing specific things, and the video processor is only concerned with the recording process. It obviously has plenty of available capacity if it is able to record proxies on the fly, otherwise it would not be attempting to do it.

You may very well be right. However,  when it comes down to  processing power, the less it has to do could mean a faster, more reliable end result. What we don't know is if the quality of the high resolution video is in any way constrained because of the rest of the processing that has to be done currently.
2017-11-30
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-11-30 20:19
You may very well be right. However,  when it comes down to  processing power, the less it has to do could mean a faster, more reliable end result. What we don't know is if the quality of the high resolution video is in any way constrained because of the rest of the processing that has to be done currently.

"when it comes down to  processing power, the less it has to do" the lesser amount of energy do it need to consume from the batteries.
2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules