Clarifying Drone registration with the FAA
7322 18 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Speedypickup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372024 ft
United States

Do us drone users have to register with the FAA?
I have seen many threads of individuals stating that you must register with the FAA if you're flying a drone, others say you don't have to. For me, it was confusing trying to find an answer.  So for the sake of helping others like myself who had a question about this issue, I looked up the requirements directly on the FAA's website and found the following info: (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/)
Drone owners do NOT have to register their UAS with the FAA if you fly under the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336)"

That "Special Rule" is described as follows, and I quote:

Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.
Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:
  • the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
  • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:
  • capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  • flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

I hope this helps others out who are looking for a clear answer on this topic.  For those who still wish to register their aircraft anyway with the FAA, that's fine, and you can do so under the "modeler" category.  But if you are simply a hobbyist looking to fly for recreational purposes, you are not required to register.

Happy flying, my friends! Stay safe.
2017-11-28
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Yes... This is correct, as of right now. However, Congress overturned the earlier court decision which said the FAA has no authority to require registration for hobbyists. What this means, is that in 2018, the FAA will once again require registration for all R/C aircraft that fly in the national airspace and weighting between 0.55lbs and 55lbs.

See the AMA Bog for further details.
2017-11-28
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372024 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-11-28 23:14
Yes... This is correct, as of right now. However, Congress overturned the earlier court decision which said the FAA has no authority to require registration for hobbyists. What this means, is that in 2018, the FAA will once again require registration for all R/C aircraft that fly in the national airspace and weighting between 0.55lbs and 55lbs.

See the AMA Bog for further details.

Thank you for that info - I was not aware of that.
2017-11-28
Use props
Booster4075
New
United States

I think I have less clarity now...

If flying as model aircraft, drone OPERATORS need to be registered, with the certificate in their possession.   (but not the drones themselves?)

..confusion...
2017-12-13
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

I also all entirely unclear as I thought you must register. Regardless for five dollars worth it to me to ensure I'm operating within the law.  
2017-12-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Booster4075 Posted at 2017-12-13 13:32

If flying as model aircraft, drone OPERATORS need to be registered, with the certificate in their possession.   (but not the drones themselves?)

Yes, you must register to fly in the United States. Earlier this year it was mandatory for recreational fliers, then for a while it wasn't, and now it is again and probably always will be from now on. And yes, despite the misleading "drone registration" terminology that appears even on the FAA's web site, it's the owner that's registered and not the drone, but the owner's FA number must be applied to each drone.
2017-12-13
Use props
fansd407edb2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 552490 ft
United States

Anyone know if you have to fulfill BOTH the 336 and 107 labeling/ID requirement on a drone you might fly under one or the other situations?  Let's see, that would mean your part 107 drone registration plus your part 336 pilot registration, plus the AMA wants their number on the drone for 336 operation. Of course, you would probably want your name/phone on it if you wanted to get it back.  That's a lot of labeling.
2017-12-13
Use props
BRAD S
lvl.3
Flight distance : 113586 ft
United States

I registered my spark with the FAA. Will that cover my Mavic, or is a separate registration required ?
2017-12-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

BRAD S Posted at 2017-12-13 14:54
I registered my spark with the FAA. Will that cover my Mavic, or is a separate registration required ?

One number covers all
2017-12-13
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

BRAD S Posted at 2017-12-13 14:54

You didn't register your Spark... You registered yourself! So, the pilots registration number goes on all your aircraft.
2017-12-13
Use props
TheNotoriousROB
New
United States

If I'm "registering myself," why do they want make, model, and serial of my drone?  Seems to me like I'm registering my DRONE.
Is it surprising that the Govt makes such a simple thing so confusing?  I now have no idea whether to do 107 or 336, whether I'm registering myself or drone, what I need to do once I register, and what exactly needs to go on the drone itself.
2018-2-26
Use props
TheNotoriousROB
New
United States

https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/home
This is the FAA site.  336 is the "Special Rule" registration, and only requires "pilot" information registration, no drone info.  $5 for 3 years.   It turns out I was on another website that looked like an FAA official registration site... so be careful out there.  No option to edit my post, so I had to add to the chain.

From the website:
    The registration fee is $5.00.

Your Unique Number
    When you register, you will receive a unique registration number that applies to any and all unmanned aircraft you own for 3 years. After 3 years, you must re-register.
    You MUST mark any and all aircraft with your number before you operate them.

Special Rule for Model Aircraft
To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:
    Follow community-based aero-modeling club safety rules
    Fly for hobby or recreation only
    Keep your aircraft within your sight
    Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport
    Never fly near other aircraft

Hope some of this clarification helps.
2018-2-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

So just to clarify, DJI Spark weight of 300 grams pilots do NOT need to register with the FAA?
2018-2-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Booster4075 Posted at 2017-12-13 13:32

I don't see why the FAA is going back and forth with registering as opposed to not registering?
2018-2-26
Use props
TheNotoriousROB
New
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-26 07:58
I don't see why the FAA is going back and forth with registering as opposed to not registering?

Have you seen the youtube videos title "range test" or "distance test" where people are flying them straight out at 30mph until the drone hits the return home option?  Most likely this is why.  There's a video of a guy who flew it off a mountain in Hawaii so it stayed at the altitude he launched from and flew 3 miles out, through clouds, and at a very high altitude once 'off the mountain.'

What's frustrating to me is the lack of information from the FAA and the amount of misinformation on the internet through posts and videos.   I wish the drone manufacturers would have a sticky bar at the top of their websites with updated information in flashing red.  This would help.
2018-2-26
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-26 07:57
So just to clarify, DJI Spark weight of 300 grams pilots do NOT need to register with the FAA?

Wrong. You need to register with the FAA if you intend to fly your Spark in the US.
2018-2-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-26 09:20
Wrong. You need to register with the FAA if you intend to fly your Spark in the US.

That's what I thought.
2018-2-26
Use props
Outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mod should remove this thread to reduce further confusion.
2018-2-26
Use props
TheNotoriousROB
New
United States

Outie Posted at 2018-2-26 10:32
Mod should remove this thread to reduce further confusion.

And create a new sticky for everyone to see.  I found this thread on google very easily though when searching drone register mavic.  So what would be ideal is if the OP could edit, then have a mod remove all this garbage.
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules