Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Scary Gimbal Reboot in Flight
1379 10 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PilotC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1321214 ft
Australia

Scary moment when on the display it looked like my mavic pro was out of control but it wasn't. The gimbal rebooted during flight and then recovered a minute or so later. No strong wind or anything else. At no time was there any issues with the control of the UAV. Has not happened again.

Any thoughts, software bug, hardware? Have you had this happen?

2017-11-28
Use props
JBInspire
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1863438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had this happen to me once shortly after I got the Mavic and it freaked me out cos if you are looking at the feed you think the Mavic is about to crash. The good news is that it has only happened once in 8 hours of flight for me
2017-11-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's a common problem that I refer to as "gimbals gone wild", and it most commonly happens when the video file has reached the 4GB limit and the Mavic is closing that file / creating a new one. If you report it to DJI they'll probably encourage you to send your Mavic in for repair, but from what I've seen their track record of providing replacements that don't have the same problem is poor.
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, experienced that I think once or twice, freaked me out too. I kept saying 'oh noooooo".
2017-11-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scary, good thing you kept your composure. Especially over water.
2017-11-29
Use props
Wirezfree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

An good example of why to keep the drone in VLOS...
Otherwise you may try to correct with controls... and drive into the ground/sea/lake... whatever
2017-11-29
Use props
PilotC
First Officer
Australia

It was definitely a scary moment until I had worked out that it wasn’t the control only the gimbal. Since it has only happened once I will put it down to a software issue.
2017-11-29
Use props
PilotC
First Officer
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-29 03:13
It's a common problem that I refer to as "gimbals gone wild", and it most commonly happens when the video file has reached the 4GB limit and the Mavic is closing that file / creating a new one. If you report it to DJI they'll probably encourage you to send your Mavic in for repair, but from what I've seen their track record of providing replacements that don't have the same problem is poor.

Interesting  your reference to the video file reaching its limit. I have been getting correct video files which only seems to happen when recording at 4K 30p.
2017-11-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

This is super fun when viewed thru the goggles. You want to barf, you think you've lost your drone, and you're mad all at the same time!  Then you come on here & find NO answers. BTW, enjoy your Mavic!
2017-11-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, if your drone had encountered gimbal/camera reset midair, please try to refresh the firmware, and check if there is a damage on the gimbal before, please also confirm the operations before the reset. But if the issue reappears very frequently, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Sorry for the trouble that had been caused.
Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-11-29
Use props
PilotC
First Officer
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-11-29 14:47
This is super fun when viewed thru the goggles. You want to barf, you think you've lost your drone, and you're mad all at the same time!  Then you come on here & find NO answers. BTW, enjoy your Mavic!

oh it was bad enough watching it on the iphone screen... the goggles would have been like a fun park ride.
2017-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules