DJI Inspire 2 Remote Controller Master/Slave Setup Issue
11837 25 2017-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

I'm having trouble setting up a slave controller on my Inspire 2. After switching the original controller to master (and turning on the aircraft) and turning on the other controller and switch it to slave, I scan for a master controller and the the slave controller cannot find it. I've tried switching the contollers, so that the original controller is to be the slave and I get the same result. There are no error codes or anything. I've contacted DJI support and they would like me to send it in, but I would like to avoid that as I've seen some nightmares on how long it can take people to get it back.

I would like to reset the controllers, however DJI support told me that is not possible with the Inspire 2. Others have told me that is is possible, though when I have tried, nothing happens, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. The only information I have found is for the Inspire 1 controller. Nonetheless, I've tried the following

C1 + C2 + Shutter button
And controller will make DDD-D sound
Shut off controller

C1 + C2 + Record + Camera settings button
And turn controller on with all buttons pressed

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

2017-11-29
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

A couple more things:

The firmware on the controllers match
I'm using an iPhone 8 and an iPad Pro with the same DJI app version.
The aircraft has the most recent update.
2017-11-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry, Smerdyakov, the RC of Inspire 2 cannot be reset.
Could you please try to refresh the firmware of RC?
Please enter DJI Go 4 page, long pressing the three horizontal line icon on the upper right corner, download and refresh the firmware.
Please let us know if it helps, thank you.
2017-11-29
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

I refreshed the firmware and rolled back the firmware and then upgraded the firmware and it still won't work as a slave controller. (I've not tried switching controller roles again yet).
Below is a screenshot of the newer controller when it is set so slave mode. Note missing Master ID and Slave ID after several times of trying to scan for a master.   

Below is a screen shot of the set as the newer controller set as the master after linking it to the aircraft. There isn't a master or slave ID. Also, when I try to enter an authorization code it disappears seconds later.

Below is a screenshot when the original controller is set as the slave. It sees the new controller, but doesn't connect, when scanning for a master.
2017-12-1
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I had this same problem when I was trying to set up my master/slave units. I followed the procedure many times before it finally worked.  As I think about it now I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that I was sitting practically right on top of my dual band router - a device that transmits in the same two frequency ranges as these radio controllers - while i was trying to set up the controllers.
I'm just guessing, because, I don't know enough yet about the channel-jumping that these radios do or whether they do it while being programmed, but could the controllers be struggling with interference from your wi-fi modem while you're setting them up?  I've never heard anyone else mention that as a cause.

Just a thought...
2017-12-1
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

DS924 Posted at 2017-12-1 15:43
I had this same problem when I was trying to set up my master/slave units. I followed the procedure many times before it finally worked.  As I think about it now I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that I was sitting practically right on top of my dual band router - a device that transmits in the same two frequency ranges as these radio controllers - while i was trying to set up the controllers.
I'm just guessing, because, I don't know enough yet about the channel-jumping that these radios do or whether they do it while being programmed, but could the controllers be struggling with interference from your wi-fi modem while you're setting them up?  I've never heard anyone else mention that as a cause.

Thanks for the information. I did it could be something like that, though my dual band router is upstairs. However, I do get a message momentarily that there is heavy interference. I will try pairing them in a different area. I have no idea what would be causing the interference. Never had it before. And sometimes I get the warning an other times I do not.
2017-12-1
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-1 16:04
Thanks for the information. I did it could be something like that, though my dual band router is upstairs. However, I do get a message momentarily that there is heavy interference. I will try pairing them in a different area. I have no idea what would be causing the interference. Never had it before. And sometimes I get the warning an other times I do not.

Just turn your modem off while you're trying. The modem will boot back up fast enough and if it doesn't work you won't have been terribly inconvenienced.

And I'm aware that the RC and the aircraft channel-hop, following each other as necessary, while you're flying. I just suspect that they don't do that while you're "programming."  If I'm right about that then your RC and your bird might be tring to communicate smack-dab in the middle of frequencies that your router is spitting out. I can see how that might complicate the communication. The whole purpose of channel-hopping is to get away from interference, after all.
2017-12-1
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-1 16:04

and, one more thing....

If memory serves, it is possible to have your RC set up so that is NOT channel hopping. If all else fails try checking to see if it is operating automatically - free to search for the best channel, rather than sitting on one particular channel. I could be wrong about that.
2017-12-1
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

DS924 Posted at 2017-12-1 17:36
and, one more thing....

If memory serves, it is possible to have your RC set up so that is NOT channel hopping. If all else fails try checking to see if it is operating automatically - free to search for the best channel, rather than sitting on one particular channel. I could be wrong about that.

Okay. How do you keep it from channel hopping? Doesn't the automatic setting allow it to hop to the strongest channel?
2017-12-1
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-1 20:19
Okay. How do you keep it from channel hopping? Doesn't the automatic setting allow it to hop to the strongest channel?

Actually, I think you can manually set the RC to use the 2.4gHz or the 5.8gHz ranges manually, rather than letting the RCswitch between the two automatically.  Within either range the RC does the channel hopping.

I was getting a little ahead of myself.  Sorry.
2017-12-2
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

DS924 Posted at 2017-12-2 06:52
Actually, I think you can manually set the RC to use the 2.4gHz or the 5.8gHz ranges manually, rather than letting the RCswitch between the two automatically.  Within either range the RC does the channel hopping.

I was getting a little ahead of myself.  Sorry.

I did try to set up both controllers to use the same range. Not sure if it worked, because as soon as you switch a controller to slave, the option to choose between 2.4gHz and 5.8gHz is no longer available.
2017-12-3
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-3 10:05
I did try to set up both controllers to use the same range. Not sure if it worked, because as soon as you switch a controller to slave, the option to choose between 2.4gHz and 5.8gHz is no longer available.

I'm sorry. I'm sure I've confused you because now I've confused myself.  

Bottom line - make sure the failure to slave the 2nd RC is not the result of interference from your own devices. Try shutting down your dual-band router - just to be sure - while to trying the procedure outlined in the manual.

As I said earlier, I had the same problem you're having when I first tried to slave the 2nd RC. I did eventually get it to "take" without doing anything else at all - and maybe it has nothing to do with your router.  i just think that routers transmitting in both the 2.4gHz and 5.8gHz ranges COULD be your source of trouble since the channels that your RC and your aircraft are in the same frequency range.  It might be causing difficulty while your trying to "program."

I apologize if my previous message caused you to waste time.
2017-12-3
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7083891 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies and channel Auto/manual options are for the video image downlink and have nothing to do with the master-slave linking. Iirc that uses a 5.8 channel.

If you're not getting them to link up, then try somewhere that's a bit 'quieter' - further from  wifi signals (or at least further away from your routers and wifi kit). Also, make sure that the two RCs aren't right next to each other... put them a couple of feet apart at least and at an angle to each other - they don't like being really close to each other and can easily loose their connection if they're too close - might be something similar stopping them from pairing.

Hth
2017-12-3
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-12-3 10:49
The 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies and channel Auto/manual options are for the video image downlink and have nothing to do with the master-slave linking. Iirc that uses a 5.8 channel.

If you're not getting them to link up, then try somewhere that's a bit 'quieter' - further from  wifi signals (or at least further away from your routers and wifi kit). Also, make sure that the two RCs aren't right next to each other... put them a couple of feet apart at least and at an angle to each other - they don't like being really close to each other and can easily loose their connection if they're too close - might be something similar stopping them from pairing.

I don't think the office has much interference as my Wi-Fi router is upstairs, but I went out to a field (no power lines or anything like that) and tried to link up the controllers without any luck. I think there is something wrong the the second controller, since it is missing the controller Master Controller ID when switched to master. When I check the status all the field are blank, unlike the original controller which show its ID and frequency.

Regardless, I sent it to DJI repair. Didn't send the aircraft or the original controller.
2017-12-4
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Fault description:
There is a fault in the "second" controllers as supplied "out of the box" that prevents them pairing as a "slave" controller.  Meaningless error messages such as "can not configure Country Code" are displayed on the DJI app.

Workaround / temporary solution:
Configure the "second" controller as a "master" controller with the Inspire 2 before using it as a "slave" to the existing controller.  Or use the second controller as "master" and configure the original controller as "slave".

Fault diagnosis:
"Out of the box" when configured as "slave", the second controller has no controller ID that allows it to be identified by the first controller, and therefore pairing fails.  It is only when the second controller is set as "Master" and paired with the Inspire 2 that a controller ID and other initialization data for the new controller is allocated.   Prior to initialization, the error message on the DJI App e.g. about "can not configure Country Code" is the software on the "second" controller generating random failure messages because its data configuration is faulty.  During the "pairing" as Master controller with the Inspire 2 the configuration data for the second controller is initialized or repaired, and after doing this, the second controller is fully functional.

Packaging of the second controller:
When you buy a second controller for use with the Inspire 2, the second controller is supplied with foam packaging that needs to be removed from the cardboard box and inserted into the main carry case box for the Inspire 2, forming a cushion cradle for the second controller (like is already in the carry box for the first controller).  DJI designed it this way, but there is no mention of this in any instruction leaflet.  Many users discard the foam packaging in the trash bin before realising it is an insert for the main carry case.
2017-12-4
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Packaging from the second controller inserted into the main carry case:

2017-12-4
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-4 15:08
Fault description:
There is a fault in the "second" controllers as supplied "out of the box" that prevents them pairing as a "slave" controller.  Meaningless error messages such as "can not configure Country Code" are displayed on the DJI app.

Rob –
Thanks for the information. It would seem that my issue fits into the fault you describe. However, (maybe I should have mentioned this before) I purchased the controller, pre-owned, where is was used as a slave controller until the seller upgraded to a Cendence. So, I'm assuming it should have a controller ID when I received.

I did try making the second controller the Master. I linked the second controller to the aircraft, which should have given the controller is ID (I think), and made it the master controller and tried to get the controller that came with the aircraft to be the slave. Also, when I make the second controller the Master and enter an Authentication Code, the code disappears and the field remains blank.

FWIW, I've not gotten any error messages. When either controller is set up as a slave, it does not neither will find the master.
2017-12-5
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-4 15:21
[view_image]Packaging from the second controller inserted into the main carry case:

[view_image]

Thanks for the info on the packaging too. It didn't even cross my mind.
2017-12-5
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-5 11:08
Rob –
Thanks for the information. It would seem that my issue fits into the fault you describe. However, (maybe I should have mentioned this before) I purchased the controller, pre-owned, where is was used as a slave controller until the seller upgraded to a Cendence. So, I'm assuming it should have a controller ID when I received.

@Smerdyakov@ I have a theory that might be worth testing, since it is quick to do.  Try setting the second controller (the one you bought second hand) as Master and bind it with your Inspire 2, and check everything is working.  Then set your original controller as Slave and try to bind it to the other controller.  

Let me know if this works for you?  If it works then I will explain what I am thinking has happened to cause the problem ...
2017-12-6
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Smerdyakov Posted at 2017-12-5 11:08
Rob –

I faced a similar problem with not being able to set the ID code on the new "Master" transmiter.  Somehow the DJI app had lost its synchronisation with the transmitter.  The issue was resolved in my case by unplugging the USB cable, restarting the transmitter, restarting my tablet and restarting the DJI Go4 app, then plugging the USB cable back in again.  
2017-12-6
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-6 06:44
@Smerdyakov@ I have a theory that might be worth testing, since it is quick to do.  Try setting the second controller (the one you bought second hand) as Master and bind it with your Inspire 2, and check everything is working.  Then set your original controller as Slave and try to bind it to the other controller.  

Let me know if this works for you?  If it works then I will explain what I am thinking has happened to cause the problem ...

Rob-
I have already tried that several times with no luck.
2017-12-7
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-6 06:50
I faced a similar problem with not being able to set the ID code on the new "Master" transmiter.  Somehow the DJI app had lost its synchronisation with the transmitter.  The issue was resolved in my case by unplugging the USB cable, restarting the transmitter, restarting my tablet and restarting the DJI Go4 app, then plugging the USB cable back in again.

I didn't restart the tablet, but I did force quit the app several times. I also used a different device withe DJI Go 4 App on it.

The controller arrived at the DJI service center today. Hopefully, I will have an idea soon.
2017-12-7
Use props
Motobike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1421742 ft
Germany

I have a little diffrent Question. The DJI Go App asked me to enter den Autorisation Code. It has Numbers and Letters mbut i only receive a option to enter numbers! How can i also enter Letters?
2017-12-11
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

Motobike Posted at 2017-12-11 09:47
I have a little diffrent Question. The DJI Go App asked me to enter den Autorisation Code. It has Numbers and Letters mbut i only receive a option to enter numbers! How can i also enter Letters?

That is odd. You should be able to set he authorization code yourself in the Master controller menu.
2017-12-16
Use props
Smerdyakov
lvl.2
United States

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. After three weeks I received a replacement controller from DJI. I was able to link the controllers as master and slave. My best guess is that the Wi-Fi was malfunctioning on the controller I shipped in for repair.

FWIW, as suggested above, I linked the replacement controller to the aircraft and set it as the master and set the controller that originally came with the aircraft as the slave.
2017-12-30
Use props
Midsouth360
lvl.2
United States

Question.  If you only have one controller should OFF be selected in Master/Slave options?
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules