Controller charging broken after last firmware update
1760 11 2017-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BamaDan78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 320023 ft
United States

I guess I'm joining the masses of people who have experienced issues where the P4 controller won't fully charge after the firmware update last year. Yes, I've experienced where I can't get more than 3 lights charged for the past year, but I've managed...hoping that DJI would come out with a new firmware update that fixes it.
Today, I stupidly ran my controller battery down to 9% hoping that would trigger it to fully charge (kinda like how old cell phone batteries would work).  It now charges to 2 lights (under 30% according to the DJI app when connected to the controller) and won't charge any more than that.

It's now been over a year since I purchased the P4, so it isn't under warranty. If a firmware update supposedly caused this issue, has DJI even addressed it yet? I see plenty of people posting about this issue with the standard responses of "send it in" only to not have a controller for months.
2017-11-30
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

They should take responsibility, as this is affecting many users ... that process is still to be seen
2017-11-30
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2017-11-30 09:04
They should take responsibility, as this is affecting many users ... that process is still to be seen

I lost my previous drone due to my own lack of proper reactions when I lost signal over a pond, but I still have the old controller. It's only about 2 months older than my current one, doesn't have the firmware update, but it's charging up just fine. I haven't even touched it in almost a year.
2017-11-30
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

BamaDan78@gmail Posted at 2017-11-30 09:44
I lost my previous drone due to my own lack of proper reactions when I lost signal over a pond, but I still have the old controller. It's only about 2 months older than my current one, doesn't have the firmware update, but it's charging up just fine. I haven't even touched it in almost a year.

Update: After I managed to fully charge my old controller, I plugged in my newer one. It's charged back up to 67-68% which isn't good, but for what I use it for it'll do.

DJI: If it's true that a firmware update caused this issue, then a firmware update can fix it. Right?
2017-11-30
Use props
Tom Leushuis
New

Australia

BamaDan78@gmail Posted at 2017-11-30 12:38
Update: After I managed to fully charge my old controller, I plugged in my newer one. It's charged back up to 67-68% which isn't good, but for what I use it for it'll do.

DJI: If it's true that a firmware update caused this issue, then a firmware update can fix it. Right?

Had the same problem after controller f/w update. Would not charge over 50%. Was advised by DJI Support to down grade and then upgrade controller to latest version and...in the process bricked the controller.  Controller was repaired by Australian Repair Centre in Melbourne.  Now, I don't believe that the controller was opened  at all,  just updated to the latest version.  All OK again.
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BamaDan, sorry to hear the issue, but I do not think it is caused by the firmware update. Please send it in for diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support, thanks!
2017-12-1
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-1 02:19
BamaDan, sorry to hear the issue, but I do not think it is caused by the firmware update. Please send it in for diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support, thanks!

Thank you very much for the response, Susan. Unfortunately, with my job, I may have to run out and conduct a flight on short notice. Especially right now, while we're doing some construction on one of our properties (to watch the progress from week to week). I can't really afford to do without the controller for any extended amount of time.

In addition, I'm seeing quite a few posts of people who have all experienced the exact same issue (worked fine before update, wouldn't fully charge after the update) and quite a few sent theirs in. Some got a brand new controller, some got refurbished, etc. I've also seen posts where some have taken old controllers that worked perfectly (full charge, worked perfectly, and recharged to full charge), applied the firmware update and then experienced the issue with the controller not fully charging.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-114104-1-1.html

I'm an IT guy, and before that was an avionics technician. With an issue like this, with multiple people all experiencing the exact same problem at around the exact same time (or after a specific event, such as a firmware update), and multiple people sending units in for repair/replacement, DJI should know at this point what is causing this issue. That all of these people with the exact same problem following the exact same event, the chances that they all have different "solutions" to the problem is so infinitesimally small that even gambling addicts wouldn't touch it.

Simply put, Susan, haven't posted a whole lot on here because I love my P4 and other than this haven't had any problems with it. I greatly appreciate all that you and the other admins do on here in helping as many people as you can.  But based on everything I've seen across this and other forums, combined with my observations above and the fact people have been experiencing this for at least a year and has been sending in controllers to DJI for repair, DJI knows what the problem is.

2017-12-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BamaDan78@gmail Posted at 2017-12-1 08:51
Thank you very much for the response, Susan. Unfortunately, with my job, I may have to run out and conduct a flight on short notice. Especially right now, while we're doing some construction on one of our properties (to watch the progress from week to week). I can't really afford to do without the controller for any extended amount of time.

In addition, I'm seeing quite a few posts of people who have all experienced the exact same issue (worked fine before update, wouldn't fully charge after the update) and quite a few sent theirs in. Some got a brand new controller, some got refurbished, etc. I've also seen posts where some have taken old controllers that worked perfectly (full charge, worked perfectly, and recharged to full charge), applied the firmware update and then experienced the issue with the controller not fully charging.

Generally, if the issue is caused by the firmware, I'm afraid that quite a lot of people would have the same issue once the firmware released. However, it seems not this case. I insist in to send it in when you are convenient.
2017-12-1
Use props
fans5c60d2d4
New

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-1 23:10
Generally, if the issue is caused by the firmware, I'm afraid that quite a lot of people would have the same issue once the firmware released. However, it seems not this case. I insist in to send it in when you are convenient.

that is the case. i have the same issue since the firmware update...
2019-3-20
Use props
fans5c60d2d4
New

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-1 23:10
Generally, if the issue is caused by the firmware, I'm afraid that quite a lot of people would have the same issue once the firmware released. However, it seems not this case. I insist in to send it in when you are convenient.

2019-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans5c60d2d4 Posted at 3-20 17:17

Sorry to read about that. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care once they received the unit.
2019-3-21
Use props
seventyfiver
New

Switzerland

Hi, I have to report the same issue. I can't pinpoint it to the firmware upgrade, but all of a sudden my controller didn't charge anymore at first, with LED1 flashing. It then started to charge after a few attempts to plug it in to the charger. But this time it only charged up until the second LED.

I have seen this issue going to the internet quite often as well. Is there any solution to this?
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules