Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS Communication Exception - Trouble Shooting
1732 8 2017-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Sky
United States

Asking for any help, suggestions, or input.

Flying a P4P using an iPad Mini and iOS.Versions:
App: 4.1.18
Aircraft: 1.04.0602
Controller: 1.04.01.00
iOS: 11.1.2

I've tried flying in several locations to eliminate the possibility of environmental interference.

Almost immediately after launch the app switches to Atti mode even with 10+ satellites acquired. P4P then drifts pretty badly.

Today, I can't launch and the app reads, "GPS encounters communication exception".

Looking through the flight logs, I'm getting an error that reads, "GPS Position NoMatch" even if when the logs are showing 10+ satellites acquired.

Images attached. Thanks for any input.

GPS Comminication Exception

GPS Comminication Exception

GPS Position NoMatch

GPS Position NoMatch
2017-11-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Try launching from grass or dirt and get away from whatever is casting that large shadow in the photo.  It almost looks like you're trying to launch from inside a carport or garage...
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, has the drone been involved in crash or hard landing before? If not, please try top refresh the firmware and restart for several times to check whether it remains.
2017-12-1
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

It seems to me a connection error to the GPS on the drone? like DJI Susan said try reloading the firmware or move to an open area.
2017-12-1
Use props
Black Sky
United States

Thanks for the suggestions.

Per DJI's chat help. I've "refreshed" the aircraft firmware through the Assistant 2 app and then recalibrated the IMU and Compass.

Those steps seemed to help. I've been able to take off without any issues. However, the P4P is still loosing satellites and switching to Atti mode during flight.

I've attached a flight log images showing the aircraft altitude at 300ft to ensure there's no low level environmental interference. Still, the P4P switched back and fourth from GPS to Atti mode maybe a dozen times during this 20 minute flight.

Seems the aircraft is having a GPS component issue. Any thoughts?

2017-12-4
Use props
RemusK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1145869 ft
Sweden

Black Sky, do you still have the problem? I got the same problem in last two days and I have no clue why the aircraft is loosing the GPS mode and goes into ATTI.
2018-7-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Black Sky Posted at 2017-12-4 11:45
Thanks for the suggestions.

Per DJI's chat help. I've "refreshed" the aircraft firmware through the Assistant 2 app and then recalibrated the IMU and Compass.

I doubt the GPS has a problem, I would suggest you pay attention to what Mark says, change your take-off location. It looks very much like you are sitting on a concrete driveway in the picture above, and in the shadow of a buiilding. Taking off from a concrete surface is a bad thing to do, the concrete will contain rebar which will confuse the compass. And if you are in the shaddow of the building, it will affect the signal strength received from the GPS satellites. I note the log shows 14 satellites, but it does not reveal what signal strength you are receiving from those satellites.
2018-7-13
Use props
Black Sky

The problem had been intermittent for 6 months. The last few weeks, I couldn't get the P4P to take-off 50% of the tries due to GPS error. If it would launch, the GPS would fail around 70ft of altitude.

I got it repaired at local facility. The GPS unit itself failed the DJI assistant benchmark testing. The GPS unit has been replaced and I am not experiencing any problems. $52 for new GPS and $150 labor.
2018-7-23
Use props
RMJovo
First Officer
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Just a suggestion 1st look at WWW.GPS.GOV web site then click the SYSTEMS tab obtain a understanding of gps operations, then take your Quad to a clear area and see if you have a problem with the gps if so then the problem is a hardware/ firmware problem with your Quad.
2018-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules