Gimbal issue - Motor overloaded
2035 15 2017-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
illking
lvl.2
United States

Hi gang. Ive just went to fly my mavic and the gimbal was acting crazy and I kept recieving motor overload errors. I did not have any crashes hard landings or any user error or damage. Long stoy short I sent it to DJI for repair and they want to charge me $78 to repair it. I have DJI care, but since this seems like a common problem with DJI Mavic shouldnt it be repaired free under warrenty? I hate to be stuck with the bill on a problem that I didnt create.
2017-11-30
Use props
ANCW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275072 ft
Singapore

Did u update to the latest firmware?
2017-11-30
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue, this should be a warranty item. Mine is in now (just 15 months old) for the same thing. Guess I need to expect to send it In Every year.

$78 and one month of non use kinda sucks,
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, could you please provide me with the case number so I can check more info about your case? Thanks a lot.
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Matman Posted at 2017-11-30 17:44
I'm having the same issue, this should be a warranty item. Mine is in now (just 15 months old) for the same thing. Guess I need to expect to send it In Every year.

$78 and one month of non use kinda sucks,

Hi Matman, for the gimbal overload issue, please try to restart the drone for several times, check make sure the firmware is up to date. We also have a thread for the gimbal error troubleshooting, please click the link below. If the issue persists, please send it back. For the warranty, we will diagnose when the drone arrives, users will not be charged if it is a warranty case and within the warranty period. Thanks for your understanding.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=120920
2017-11-30
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Thanks @dji Thor

My point was that my aircraft is just slightly out of the warranty period. I've restarted numerous times and done the calibration, to no avail so it's at DJI in California for service. (CAS-1250249-N3Q0P8)
It was on the latest firmware, the bummer is that it was built in the first run (sept?) but I've had it for just about 1 year, so seems like it should be warrantied (and more durable, I.e. Good for the life of the aircraft).
2017-12-1
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Matman Posted at 2017-12-1 03:08
Thanks @dji Thor

My point was that my aircraft is just slightly out of the warranty period. I've restarted numerous times and done the calibration, to no avail so it's at DJI in California for service. (CAS-1250249-N3Q0P8)

really interesting how DJI will pick up this service request. If they value their customer they just will do it without any cost.
Let us know please how this ends
2017-12-1
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Agreed, will do. I have dji care as well, but hoping the $129 fee plus replacing the aircraft isn't the course they take. I'd like my original aircraft back as it has a wrap and I know it's rock solid otherwise.
Who knows what kind of issues a new/refurb will have, plus having to re-do the decal wrap isn't ideal.
2017-12-1
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Super impressed with the speed of the repair process. One week after sending it in, DJI sent me a bill for $79 and I promptly paid it. Considering that it takes two hours of labor ($130) for a $17 part, the total bill should've been close to $147, so I guess I'll take it.

Free would have been better, but technically it's out of warranty so fair enough.

But how long will it be before it fails again?
2017-12-1
Use props
illking
lvl.2
United States

Hi, Original poster here. Sorry I was out of town for travel and did not have service. My case number is CAS-1256965-M4G9W1. I Believe my Mavic should still be under warranty. I was also quoted $79 but I had no hard landings or crashes, was running updated versions and attempted all recommended troubleshooting.
2017-12-5
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

Matman Posted at 2017-12-1 13:01
Super impressed with the speed of the repair process. One week after sending it in, DJI sent me a bill for $79 and I promptly paid it. Considering that it takes two hours of labor ($130) for a $17 part, the total bill should've been close to $147, so I guess I'll take it.

Free would have been better, but technically it's out of warranty so fair enough.

No reason to be impressed with the repair process speed when DJI is all about making more money. So the quicker they tell you to pay up and you want your Mavic back you pay up. Warranty baloney it's protocol to bill the customer.

THe way I see it, you should not have gimbal overload on a high end equipment such as the mavic.
It's a known issue that will NEVER be acknowledged by DJI and too bad for you.

The customer needs to resolve to the fact that no matter what your issue is, no matter how long you've owned the Mavic you will pay, pay and pay through the nose when you have an issue.  Nothing will be covered under any warranty.

2017-12-7
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Would it impress you that it only took 10 business days total from  when I shipped it to having it back in my hands?

I'm impressed, at not only the quick turnaround but the numerous updates along the way (received, Diagnosis, payment due, repaired, shipped).

What I am not impressed with is the fragility of the ribbon cable and that it failed just outside of one year of moderate use.

Will the repair last longer or will I be doing this annually? Doing this kind of work on the aircraft isn't for someone who has never done it. Paying for 1 hour of labor that would have taken me 4 hours best case seems fair.
Aircraft arrives tomorrow so we'll see if it's my aircraft or a refurb,
2017-12-7
Use props
illking
lvl.2
United States

Yah gimbal is only covered by warrenty for 6 months. So I had to pay. Im very disappointed in this .
2017-12-8
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

I received my DJI care replacement today and it appears to be a completely new aircraft (I wasn't sure if they would send my aircraft back).

I tried to purchase dji care for the new aircraft but it wouldn't let me, saying it already had been purchased? So this case is closed and I'm shelling out another $99 for dji care.

$950 mavic
$99 dji care
$79 replaced under dji care
$99 dji care on new aircraft
Total : $1248 spent on just the aircraft in only one year for a poorly adhered ribbon cable
2017-12-8
Use props
usercce6ee4bda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 678425 ft
United States

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-12-7 08:52
No reason to be impressed with the repair process speed when DJI is all about making more money. So the quicker they tell you to pay up and you want your Mavic back you pay up. Warranty baloney it's protocol to bill the customer.

THe way I see it, you should not have gimbal overload on a high end equipment such as the mavic.

My gimbal was overload and I sent it back to DJI repair. I was charged 190$ for the repair service fee is 65*2=130$.
I refused to pay.
2017-12-12
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

usercce6ee4bda Posted at 2017-12-12 15:05
My gimbal was overload and I sent it back to DJI repair. I was charged 190$ for the repair service fee is 65*2=130$.
I refused to pay.

Yes more BS about this issue.

Had this issue after firmware update to version .09 and it was ignored by DJI!

I was told $185 pay up. Told them to shove it as it was due to their firmware update that DJI refused to acknowledge and it was well documented in these forums.  

I also pointed out when I sent my Mavic in that it was under warranty for the gimbal arm 6 months so they went with that and repaired it on their dime and just ignored the initial cause.

Standard charge is $200 for anything you send your Mavic into DJI. Then you spend 30 days explaining to ignorant customer service people and engineers who have no idea how this device actually works.
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules