Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know

Winter drone flying can sometimes be challenging in extreme conditions. Low temperatures can impact flight performance, and weather can be unpredictable. It’s possible that you will encounter rain, fog, or snow during flight. So how can you have a safe flight and capture great shots during the winter months? Here are some safety and camera settings tips to keep in mind when flying your drone during winter.

Battery
Like many of the latest portable devices, DJI drones use Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries. Cold temperatures can put your batteries out of their comfort zone, decreasing the chemical activity within batteries. Follow the tips below to ensure a safe flight:
  • Only use fully charged batteries.
  • Pre-heat your battery to 20°C (68°F) or more. You can check the battery temperature in DJI GO. Use a Battery Heater if one is available for your product.
  • Hover for about a minute to allow the battery to warm up.
  • Only push the control sticks gently to prevent any battery voltage drops.
  • Batteries drain faster in cold temperatures. Always check your drone’s battery status during flight.

Environment
Reduced visibility and the moisture of snow can be the hidden dangers behind shooting spectacular winter scenery. It’s essential to take the right precautions:
  • Before flying your drone, check the weather conditions. Avoid strong wind, rain, and snow.
  • Do not fly in temperatures below 0°C (32°F).
  • Avoid contact with snow. Moisture can damage the motors. It’s recommended to use a landing pad for taking off and landing your drone.
  • Ensure that the GPS signal is strong.

Stay Warm
Ever experienced your mobile device unexpectedly shutting down from the cold? As explained at the beginning, cold temperatures can shorten a LiPo battery’s life. So while taking good care of your Intelligent Flight Batteries, don’t forget to keep your mobile device warm. Additionally, watch out for frostbite. Operating a remote controller with numb hands is dangerous. It’s a good idea wear gloves when flying outdoors during winter months.

Camera Settings – Exposure and White Balance
To capture the beauty of snow, you need to manually set camera exposure and white balance. Shooting in Auto mode can result in dark images. This is because the camera’s exposure system can sometimes underexpose snow, tricked by its brightness. By adding additional stops, you will slightly overexpose your photos but get the right compensation for snow shots. Similarly, you need to adjust the white balance accordingly to get the right color balance of the snowy landscape. Otherwise, the snow may look grey.

Storage
If your drone is idle for a long time, its performance might be affected. Storing it properly is key to a safe flight. Make sure to:
  • Fully charge and discharge the battery once every three months to maintain battery health.
  • Remove the propellers and attach the gimbal clamp when storing your drone.
  • Store your drone in a dry, non-magnetic place at around 25°C (77°F).

Ready to capture a winter wonderland with your drone? Have fun with your winter flying and don’t forget to share your photos with us here!

The content origins from : BUYINGGUIDES

2017-12-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perfect advice!
2017-12-1
Use props
Adam Osborne
New

United Kingdom

My favorite part, "Stay Warm!"
2017-12-1
Use props
Desertcruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5203159 ft
Switzerland

Yes, sonds good.
Allready made a few flights in snowy landscapes. It has its own magic...

Chris
2017-12-1
Use props
fans8b236542
lvl.3
France

Great tips, as usual!
2017-12-1
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great advice. Debating taking my mavic to Iceland in a few weeks....think If I don't I might regret it but its extra luggage and weight to carry...
2017-12-1
Use props
Kevin2462
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1806867 ft
United States

Definitely flying all winter here in CT,great state to fly in beautiful videos
2017-12-1
Use props
Rob Hulford
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185220 ft
United Kingdom

So obvious question here, usually, for snow to fall, and settle the ambient air temp is at or below 0oC (32F)  did I miss something along the way as, not flying at 0oC (32F) or less means you wouldnt be able to capture a snowy landscape. Also windchill further lowers the temperature that the battery would 'feel'. Would appreciate an answer from the author just so I fully understand. Maybe I miss understood and it was intended to read do not fly if the battery temp is 0oC (32F) instead of the suggested 20oC (68F).
Cheers
Rob
2017-12-2
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

As always Grace, good useful advice, thanks.
2017-12-2
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-12-1 15:47
Great advice. Debating taking my mavic to Iceland in a few weeks....think If I don't I might regret it but its extra luggage and weight to carry...

You will regret it if you don’t. No serious flying restrictions, more wild nature than Africa and not one single tree of note. They say in Iceland, if you get lost in a forrest all you need to do is stand up to see where you are. OK, the days are short at this time of the year, but that leaves more time for spotting Trolls and of course the Aurora Borealis.

Long exposure Kirkjufellsfoss
2017-12-2
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Great info, very useful tips, but I would like to know what are the settings and how to modify them within the drone for better pictures and video shooting. For example what are the settings for the Spark and where do you change them, there might be new users that could find this information very useful.  
2017-12-3
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Spain

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-2 13:09
You will regret it if you don’t. No serious flying restrictions, more wild nature than Africa and not one single tree of note. They say in Iceland, if you get lost in a forrest all you need to do is stand up to see where you are. OK, the days are short at this time of the year, but that leaves more time for spotting Trolls and of course the Aurora Borealis.
[view_image]

Wow, amazing picture, thanks for sharing
2017-12-3
Use props
Jr_holland28
New
United States

I for one am personally looking forward to flying in Denver this month. Hoping all goes well with the Mavic Pro Platinum. I will plan to warm them up in the car  using the heater. These posts and information is useful.
2017-12-3
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

Thanx for the advice looking forward to flying in the snow IF we get some
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Grace, thanks for sharing the tips with us! You are a great helper of the Forum.
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-3 18:50
Hey Grace, thanks for sharing the tips with us! You are a great helper of the Forum.

so are you !
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

thank you!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Brum Ken Posted at 2017-12-3 06:56
Thanx for the advice looking forward to flying in the snow IF we get some

where are you from?
some places in China because of the climate, there are no snows
But I come from a place where it snows almost everyday in winter
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Jr_holland28 Posted at 2017-12-3 02:59
I for one am personally looking forward to flying in Denver this month. Hoping all goes well with the Mavic Pro Platinum. I will plan to warm them up in the car  using the heater. These posts and information is useful.

Good luck and happy flying!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-12-3 00:58
Great info, very useful tips, but I would like to know what are the settings and how to modify them within the drone for better pictures and video shooting. For example what are the settings for the Spark and where do you change them, there might be new users that could find this information very useful.

thank you for your comment, Viking!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Dockater Posted at 2017-12-2 13:09
[view_image]

how beautiful here!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thank you!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Adam Osborne Posted at 2017-12-1 05:26
My favorite part, "Stay Warm!"

hahaha
Happy flying!
2017-12-3
Use props
fans26faab06
New
Flight distance : 2792 ft
United States

Great tips!!!
2017-12-3
Use props
fans26faab06
New
United States

Great tips !!! Thank you
2017-12-3
Use props
fans26faab06
New
United States

Great tips !!! Thank you for sharing
2017-12-3
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-12-3 18:57
thank you for your comment, Viking!

You are welcome Grace, If you could forward the request of the camera settings, which parameters and how to modify them within the drone to the corresponding department so we could get that info in this threat. THAT would be nice ;-) thank you in advance.
2017-12-3
Use props
edbot85
New
Austria

Do you have to work on the actual temperature or on the real feel. Here in Austria we sometimes have 0°C to 1°C but the real feel will show -6°C with no wind.

Will this still be safe for flying. Realy want to capture the snowy landscape while it last.
2017-12-4
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for this!
2017-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great tips!
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thank you!
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I have added the free points this morning around my time.
You can check it!
2017-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-12-5 23:05
I have added the free points this morning around my time.
You can check it!

Thank you!
I saw that
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Glad to hear that!
2017-12-5
Use props
djiuser_hkRhBwT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1229938 ft
Canada

Flew in -7  cel 2 weeks ago  northern Ontario 2x20 min some tablet problem but ok
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

djiuser_hkRhBwT Posted at 2017-12-6 17:18
Flew in -7  cel 2 weeks ago  northern Ontario 2x20 min some tablet problem but ok

Take care and happy flying!
2017-12-6
Use props
MarkNil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 763045 ft

United States

Rob Hulford Posted at 2017-12-2 01:40
So obvious question here, usually, for snow to fall, and settle the ambient air temp is at or below 0oC (32F)  did I miss something along the way as, not flying at 0oC (32F) or less means you wouldnt be able to capture a snowy landscape. Also windchill further lowers the temperature that the battery would 'feel'. Would appreciate an answer from the author just so I fully understand. Maybe I miss understood and it was intended to read do not fly if the battery temp is 0oC (32F) instead of the suggested 20oC (68F).
Cheers
Rob

Wind chill has no affect on anything other then exposed skin.
2017-12-7
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Nice tutorial, the photos are well done in it.
2017-12-8
Use props
fansd01a4059
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177671 ft
United States

Rob Hulford Posted at 2017-12-2 01:40
Cheers
Rob

I live in the Mountains at an altitude of 8,000 feet.  Yes, in order for snow to "stick" the temperature needs to be at or below freezing.  But that is not to say that after it snows and the weather get a bit warmer that the snow melts instantly.  There is usually a few days when the temp raises into the 40's and 50's and there is a beautiful blanket of snow on the ground so that's when you would film the landscape.

As far as windchill...It only affects living organisms.  Once the battery reached the ambient air temperature, wind would have no effect on it.

2017-12-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules