Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The monitor feed
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

Maybe this is a simple function that I just haven't figured out yet, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to feed the image from the map portion of viewing tablet to an outside monitor via the HDMI out on the RC?
If a pilot involved in a search mission was to spot the subject of the search from the air and wanted to switch the video input from camera's view to the map overlay, so that everyone else could get a fix on the position by viewing the remote monitor, WOULD THAT BE POSSIBLE?

Right now the only video signal coming out of the RC's HDMI port for viewing on a supplemental video monitor, regardless of what I'm looking at on my tablet, is the view from the main camera. I can switch views on my tablet between FPV, the map, and the main camera all day long, and it would be GREAT if I could do that with the signal coming out of the HDMI port.

Being able to transmit that map image with the position of the aircraft superimposed would be a real game-changer for the crew of a search and rescue mission.

Am I missing something simple or would this just be a really great NEW real-time function of the software?

Forgive me if I seem dense.

(I also posted this question in the Inspire 2 section because I wasn't sure where best belonged.)

2017-12-2
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Good idea but I think the only way you can do this is with the slave controller.
A workaround for an S&R operation, would be to have a team member looking over your shoulder, so when you spot the casualty, you know where they are because they will be below/near the drone, which you can see, flip to map view if necessary. Better to have a separate monitor for easier viewing but more equipment to carry and longer setup time. Hmm.

Still a good idea I think.  

Mark G.
2017-12-3
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-3 03:15
Good idea but I think the only way you can do this is with the slave controller.
A workaround for an S&R operation, would be to have a team member looking over your shoulder, so when you spot the casualty, you know where they are because they will be below/near the drone, which you can see, flip to map view if necessary. Better to have a separate monitor for easier viewing but more equipment to carry and longer setup time. Hmm.

Can you imagine how much more valuable a drone would be to such an operation with this feature?!

The tablet and the RC are already interacting so I should think it would just be a matter of additional programming in DJI Go.

The pilot relays the map image, showing the location of the find, and rescuers go straight there. No squinting at the sun; no wasted time. One could even get an idea of the barriers between the launch area and the subject - water, for example, by looking at the map.

Jeez, if a wireless video relay is used the pilot could launch well away from the operational command center - and wouldn't even have to talk to the other rescuers.  He/she could just concentrate on flying and wouldn't necessarily need a crew of spotters to do it.

A hobbyist on a tight budget isn't going to mess with it, perhaps, but I read a whole lot of "pro" talk on this forum.  This idea occurred to me when I was fooling around with a portable video monitor that I bought to use with my I2.

The only downside of additional programming that I can think of is the probable need for the fastest processor speed one can get - in the tablet.  The older iPads might not be able to cut it.

DJI, what do you think?

2017-12-3
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

A separate app that S&R team could have on their phones that allowed them to view the map would be pretty useful. Like you say though, anything that is demanding more out of your mobile device is going to cause problems, have you seen this https://forum.dji.com/thread-100636-1-1.html.

Mark G.
2017-12-3
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-3 08:45
A separate app that S&R team could have on their phones that allowed them to view the map would be pretty useful. Like you say though, anything that is demanding more out of your mobile device is going to cause problems, have you seen this https://forum.dji.com/thread-100636-1-1.html.

Mark G.

Yes, I did read that thread a couple weeks ago - right before I went out and upgraded my iPad mini 2 to a iPad Pro for higher processing speed.

I presume, though, that the DJI Go app is simply accessing the mapping program that's already in the iPad when it displays the map while I'm flying, or something like that.

I wouldn't want to mess with any additional programming if it's going to just crash my tablet, but this doesn't seem a remarkable addition to make.

Maybe a genuine techno-geek out there will tell me otherwise.
I can tell you this - if you show up to assist with a search, throw up a remote monitor that everyone else can see, put your UAV in the air, spot the target, and show the map location for everyone to see, you're gonna see a whole lot of jaws dropping open.
2017-12-3
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

There must be screen sharing apps out there.
2017-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules