18443 26 2017-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay everyone, before you go doing what everyone else suggests: sync, delete, reinstall, resync - try clearing your cache first. It isn't an app issue as much is it is a maxed out cache issue. Clear your cache versus deleting your app and losing any flight data. I lost over 40 minutes of flight time today doing what everyone else suggested. Yes, that does work, but only because it just wiped out the cache.

Hope this helps and happy flying!
2017-12-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Thanks for sharing this. Can you tell me the model of your device? Please ensure that you download the latest version of app and you can also clean the memories of your phone.
2017-12-2
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-2 18:18
Hi, sir. Thanks for sharing this. Can you tell me the model of your device? Please ensure that you download the latest version of app and you can also clean the memories of your phone.

Which device are we talking about, the phone or drone? I use an Apple iPhone 7 Plus with my Mavic Pro and Spark. All devices stay updated with the latest and greatest. Feel fairly confident that it is a cache issue within the DJI Go 4 app that makes it unstable. The things I know are this:

1. I did notice before my flights today that my cache was fairly full.

2. The settings in the app were to clear the cache when full.

3. I didn't manually clear the cache.

4. The app was unstable and quit multiple times during two flights today.

5. I did the fix that everyone claims to work: sync app, delete app, reinstall app, resync app (which ultimately just clears the cache) and it worked

6. Haven't had a problem since

I will allow my cache to build up again until the the app begins to be unstable, clear my cache versus deleting the app, and will follow up with you to let you know my findings. But I am 99.9% certain it's the cache causing the app instability...

PS - Think I need like 1000 bonus points added to my account for this, or perhaps a job as a developer  
2017-12-2
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-2 18:39
Which device are we talking about, the phone or drone? I use an Apple iPhone 7 Plus with my Mavic Pro and Spark. All devices stay updated with the latest and greatest. Feel fairly confident that it is a cache issue within the DJI Go 4 app that makes it unstable. The things I know are this:

Man you are definitely a better programmer than dji dev team...This is for sure....
2017-12-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

There is a function in GO 4 to automatically clear the cache when it's full, but you have to activate it. You can also set the cache size in that menu. By the way, another discussion here suggests that it mainly was an iOS problem that got fixed with the latest update of iOS: https://forum.dji.com/thread-122153-1-1.html

2017-12-3
Use props
Jr_holland28
New
United States

I had to do this today. Because last night I pulled a video clip from the Mavic and edited using the DJI movie creator. The. The app kept crashing. Once I “deleted” the app today I too also found my flight data was gone. It didn’t dawn on me until reading your port that all I need to do was clear my cashe and I would have been good to go
2017-12-3
Use props
fans04eea19e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74885 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-3 03:10
There is a function in GO 4 to automatically clear the cache when it's full, but you have to activate it. You can also set the cache size in that menu. By the way, another discussion here suggests that it mainly was an iOS problem that got fixed with the latest update of iOS: https://forum.dji.com/thread-122153-1-1.html

It did not get fixed with the latest update, I also agree it's a cache issue - which is why delete/reinstall fixes it temporarily...
2017-12-3
Use props
fans04eea19e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74885 ft
United States

how to clear cache? just turn it off (caching)  and back on again?
2017-12-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

fans04eea19e Posted at 2017-12-3 07:11

There is a button "Clear Video Cache" in the App. I would give it a try ;-)
In Android it looks like this and I believe it also exists in the iOS version:

Screenshot_2017-12-02-16-27-25.jpg
2017-12-3
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-12-3 02:14
Man you are definitely a better programmer than dji dev team...This is for sure....

Thanks buddy, maybe they will hook me up with a job...
2017-12-3
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I had that feature turned on for both the Mavic and Spark, the app still crashed when it neared the max capacity. Not sure that it was an Apple thing because I read enough posts where people running other Operating Systems were having similar problems, plus I keep everything updated. I appreciate your input!
2017-12-3
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans04eea19e Posted at 2017-12-3 07:11

It depends on the aircraft, but Wachtberger's tutorial below is right on point. Thanks for the reply and happy flying!
2017-12-3
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-3 07:38
There is a button "Clear Video Cache" in the App. I would give it a try ;-)
In Android it looks like this and I believe it also exists in the iOS version:

Ok, I running my cache 'a bit bigger' as 2 GB, which can be the reason for not having trouble with a instabil app (on android, of course)
But I did run in 'no caching files', 'cause max cache reached.
Without app crashing. Only no video file cached from that flight.
But how about, you guys with the problem, you activate the 'auto video cache clean up' first?
And, of course, chose a cache file with the needed size for a set of batteries, or 2 sets of batteries, .....
2017-12-3
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I’m currently running DJI-Go V4.1.18 on a 128GB (35GB available)  IPad Air on the latest version of iOS.

Today I had the first flight since updating the DJI~Go App. It was around 8minutes in duration and went without a hitch.
This evening I have been trying to use the built in editor to view the archived flight data and the low res cached video but the App just keeps crashing. I can open the App and leave it on the welcome screen and within 30 seconds it will crash. I have cleared the cache, performed a hard reset of the iPad but the App still crashes after about 30 seconds.

Is there anyway to role back the App on iOS to the last stable release?

Regards

Nidge
2017-12-3
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nidge Posted at 2017-12-3 09:41
I’m currently running DJI-Go V4.1.18 on a 128GB (35GB available)  IPad Air on the latest version of iOS.

Today I had the first flight since updating the DJI~Go App. It was around 8minutes in duration and went without a hitch.

I am not sure if you can go back to a previous version. I do know that it was frustrating for me. I would say that if manually clearing your cache doesn't solve the problem, you can (can't believe I'm about to say this) try the sync, uninstall, reinstall, re-sync option. I haven't had any problems using iOS since manually clearing the cache after multiple flights.

I hope that DJI will find a solution to this problem, shouldn't have to do ANY of this. Know that, as a former electrical engineer in industry automation, this kind of thing would NEVER fly with the customer...
2017-12-3
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I think I’ve found a fix for the issue.
Apple released an update to iOS from 11.1.2 to 11.2 yesterday. I’ve just installed the update and so far the DJI-Go App seems to be working as it should again.

I’ve been able to replay all the flight logs and play the cached video without it crashing.

Regards

Nidge.
2017-12-3
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nidge Posted at 2017-12-3 10:30
I think I’ve found a fix for the issue.
Apple released an update to iOS from 11.1.2 to 11.2 yesterday. I’ve just installed the update and so far the DJI-Go App seems to be working as it should again.

Now I'm curious if my iOS is up to date... Still no problems
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

If the app crash in IOS device, we would recommend you update your IOS system to 11.2 version and then reinstall the app. Please provide the crash log and DJI account if the problem still remains. Thanks.
2017-12-4
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-4 03:32
If the app crash in IOS device, we would recommend you update your IOS system to 11.2 version and then reinstall the app. Please provide the crash log and DJI account if the problem still remains. Thanks.

I had the app crash fixed prior to the update, just had to clear my cache. I did update my iOS though. Thank you for the follow up!
2017-12-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is actually spot on - the cache files delete automatically if you set the app to do so at 2, 4, 8, 16GB or auto in line with the GB storage on your device.
I took my Mavic Pro Platinum out for its first set of flights on Friday and the app crashed several times on the second flight. I cleared the cache by deleting and reinstalling the app then after going out again I experienced the same app crashes with my iPhone 7+ using the latest FW and GO 4.
On my return I deleted everything again and went into my mobile updates and noticed IOS 11.2 was pending... I updated, reinstalled the GO 4 app again and went out today...
Two back-to-back flights totalling 52 minutes in the air and not a single app crash - even took a 180 pano a mile away. The only thing I didn't do today which I did before is that I didn't stitch my pano's in the app this time. If anything, that may be the issue and one I'm not willing to risk but updating to IOS 11.2 seems to have worked. In fact, I've been into the app several times to look at the forum, DJI store, flight records, video cache in editor etc. and not a single app crash - FIXED! So the key appears to be to update your IOS device to the latest Apple FW 11.2, delete GO 4, reboot the mobile, reinstall GO 4, don't link GO 4 with the photo app, don't stitch pano's within the app (use your MacBook/micro SD card) and reset the camera to include continuous over reset and PAL over NTSC if in Europe. I also switched Micro SD cards. Some of this may be overkill but just deleting the cache video files didn't work for me. Updating my iPhone 7+ to IOS 11.2 has fixed it! So pleased and yes, the MPP is the best drone I've flown so far - you can not hear it 150' away and 1080p @ 50p is perfect and 4K video quality has improved!
2017-12-4
Use props
Panhead55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939144 ft
United States

I just had the same problem with my iPhone 6S.  I HAVE NOT UPDATED MY IPHONE TO THE NEW IOS YET.  I powered up my controller, opened the DJI Go4 app, turned on my MP battery.  I was flying the MP to show a client how it worked.  The MP flew fine but the app kept on crashing.  Every time I would reopen the app it would crash in about 20 seconds.  Annoying.  I waited a couple hours till I got home.  Tried again out front in my yard just incase it decided to do something funky.  The app asked me the 10 questions.  (I don't know why they do this I am 107 certified).  The app kept on crashing before I could answer all the questions.  I got on this forum.  I ignored all the complex fixes as I did not want to loose all my flight data.  Thanks Doc Quicksand!!!!  The fix you shared worked like a charm and I did not loose any flight data.  All is well and MP is flying correctly and app not crashing.  I work at a DJI drone store where we repair DJI products and none of the techs knew this trick.  My settings were set to hold 2gb cashe I was only at 1.8 but obviously this was the issue.  If it says 2gb cashe then delete why does it not do what it is programed to do ????  Sounds like a fix is in order.  Thanks for your help all.  You really have to read through all the responses and carefully choose the easiest fix first.  
2017-12-12
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

No problem buddy, glad I could help. Would probably consider updating to the new iOS though, DJI Go 4 does seem more stable having done the update. Undoubtedly though, the cache issue needs to be addressed with DJI. I have been dropping bombs with the admins here, hope they drop the same bombs to the DJI engineering Team!

So, on another note... What are the chances you get sweet discounts? I'm taking my Part 107 test next week and am in the market for an Inspire, just can't decide between the 1 or 2. Been hearing pro's and con's for both!

Happy Flying!

DocQuicksand
2017-12-12
Use props
Chirpz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20256 ft
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-3 07:57
Thanks buddy, maybe they will hook me up with a job...

Sorry you don't speak Chinese.  Must be bi-lingual.
2017-12-12
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chirpz Posted at 2017-12-12 18:11
Sorry you don't speak Chinese.  Must be bi-lingual.

Ahhhhhhh, so that is the secret?
2017-12-12
Use props
JerryL
New

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-2 18:18

I have a new Mavic Air just out of the box.  I have tried two iPad Pro's and my iPhone 7.  The DJI GO 4 app crashes on all of them even before I can complete the newbie quiz.  So there is no cache on my drone and the Apple devices all have room and the GO 4 app is the only program running.  Needless to say this is extremely frustrating
2019-11-10
Use props
JerryL
New

United States

JerryL Posted at 11-10 07:01
I have a new Mavic Air just out of the box.  I have tried two iPad Pro's and my iPhone 7.  The DJI GO 4 app crashes on all of them even before I can complete the newbie quiz.  So there is no cache on my drone and the Apple devices all have room and the GO 4 app is the only program running.  Needless to say this is extremely frustrating

And both of my iPads and iPhone have current updates
2019-11-10
Use props
fans39dc13b1
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the posts on this topic.  I have the same problem with the DJI Go 4 app crashing all the time.  I cleared the cache, and things got better, but it still crashes -- just not all the time.  It is very annoying and also unsafe when it crashes during a flight.  I have set the cache to be cleared automatically when it reaches 2GB.  What else can I do?  I read about updating iOS, but that does not apply to me (I think!), since I am using the DJI Smart Controller instead of an iPhone.  What else can I do to stop the DJI Go 4 app from crashing?  Any advice appreciated
2020-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules