932 4 2017-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

HI all,
Why are we told to only take off with fully charged batteries. What happens if we take off with fully charged batteries then need to land at say 50% charge to change a lens then take off again. Are we excepted to change the batteries even though there is still 50% remaining, no. The Inspire 2 will not take off if the battery levels are too low, so why are we told to only take off with fully charged batteries. And why does it let us take off with 30 or 40% charge when its not recommended.

DJI needs to make clear on what we can and can't do and get rid of the guessing game.
2017-12-2
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

It is recommended to take off with a freshly and fully charged battery. It is imperative to emphasize that it is just fully charged or the night before. If it has been fully charged a week ago, the accuracy of the level of battery charged up is questionable since it may have discharged during then and now. Although the battery has been discharged, the circuit may not be able to calculate the true level. Until it is taken up in sky and measurement be taken when charges are drained from the battery. Given that you start off with a freshly and fully charged battery, changing lens in between will not have any issues of knowing the true level of battery charge. In other words, you will be ok to do do.
2017-12-2
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi Hailstone,

It is good practice to use fully charged batteries for each flight, similarly, with manned aircraft, you would not be taking off with a partially depleted fuel tank. Briefly landing to swap a lens over then immediately taking off again should not be an issue. The problem occurs when the battery has been left for any length of time, where you may see rapid voltage drops, sometimes to the point that the battery will shut down.
If you don't want to play guessing games, my advice would be to only take off with your batteries at 100% This not a DJI thing this is a liPo thing.

Mark G.
2017-12-3
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with Mark. If you started out with a fully charged set of Batteries and land to change a lens it is pretty much a judgement call in regard as to how long you will need to be in the air after the change. Personally I have my low battery warning set to 30% and head for home once the warning appears. I usually do a bit more flying close to home to bring the batteries down to 18-20% and then land.
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, Sir, DTK, Mark and Rodger all have explained this situation very well.
Firstly, if the battery hasn't been used for a long time, the level of battery may not be very accurate, we suggest to fully charge the battery.
Secondly, pilots usually like to fly very far, some pilots without experience would not notice the battery, for the safety and better flight experience, we suggest to fully charge.
Thirdly, like Mark said, briefly landing to swap a lens over then immediately taking off again should not be an issue, but we suggest to pay attention to the battery to return the drone to home point safely.
2017-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules