Headless Mode
6454 10 2017-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans249aa8c6
New
United States

Does the Phantom-3 Standard have a headless mode as it is delivered? If not, will it be available in a later software upgrade? Anyone know?
If it is installed how do you access it for use?
2017-12-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I may be wrong - but never noted any mention of Headless mode for any Phantom.

To be honest - Headless Mode as I see it from other Multi-Rotors I have - I was a tester for a number brands - HM was basically a fallback function to sort out getting the MR back if dis-orientated. The Phantoms having RTH and video view - as I see it HM is not necessary.

When I have lost video or somethings happened that disrupts my understanding of orientation - I hit RTH and let it auto rotate to head home. I then know which way its facing ...

Nigel
2017-12-3
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

I've seen this headless mode thing crop up lately on advertising for other drones.  Reading the definition, it seems it is exactly what the P3S "Home Lock" mode does.  I use that mode quite a bit on my P3S when flying out of visual range to bring it back without RTH.
2017-12-3
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

In simple terms, headless mode is basically a method implemented on a drone that allows pilots to give up worrying about ac orientation altogether. The function of headless mode is pretty simple; the only pre-requisite is that before taking off, you’re required to position the drone in such a way that “its front is your front”.

Since yaw (rotation around it’s own axis; controlled by the left stick on a Mode 2 controller) anyway doesn’t have anything to do with orientation (left is left and right is right all the time, regardless of where your drone is pointing at), it is how the drone reacts to rudder (‘swaying’; controlled by the right stick on a Mode 2 controller) that changes.

This is a flying mode that I have not seen on a DJI product, but am familiar with it from Yuneec. Even they say that it is a mode only for beginners, and leads to bad habits and loss of “visual feel” for orientation if used a lot.

Headless mode is not related to the RTH from DJI in any shape or form. Although RTH can be a good orientation device if you get completely disorientated or lost it is also an excellent safety feature.
2017-12-3
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The headless mode is implemented by "F-Course Lock". Switch down the S1 to the F-mode and the RC icon has been show up. Tab on that and the functions menu is popping up. Tab on F-Course Lock and you ´ll see on the right side the AC icon and the number of rad "120 ´ "  AC´s current direction of the nose. Let the copter rotate in to the wished direction and tab <apply>. The copter will fly headless.
2017-12-3
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yea the p3p has this feature ,but i dont use it.
2017-12-3
Use props
djiuser_mHH8BqV
New
Flight distance : 9137 ft

United Kingdom

no they have not got it  just have to learn to fly whiteout it  like i had to was spoilt on a C8  ha ha
2017-12-6
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Litchi has 'Home Lock' on the main screen, is this what you believe is 'Headless Mode'?
2017-12-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The Go app also has "Home Lock" but it´s not headless,headless is "Course lock" just like the Xin Lin X161 Follower X6.    Home Lock is,if you pull down the right stick(in mode2) then the copter is flying toward the home point. It equal what direction the current position of the copter to your position is..  If you use "Course Lock" then you can set and reset the direction of your copter before flight(during hover on place)
Set the nose of the copter exactly to North and tab apply on App and the copter will fly to northern direction if you push the right stick up,eastern direction(stick to right) west (stick to left) and south (stick down) .
The copter will continue the flight from the stick input of the right stick,and will not return automatically if the copters signal is available and enough power is on the battery.
2017-12-7
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Peterx Posted at 2017-12-7 13:02
The Go app also has "Home Lock" but it´s not headless,headless is "Course lock" just like the Xin Lin X161 Follower X6.    Home Lock is,if you pull down the right stick(in mode2) then the copter is flying toward the home point. It equal what direction the current position of the copter to your position is..  If you use "Course Lock" then you can set and reset the direction of your copter before flight(during hover on place)
Set the nose of the copter exactly to North and tab apply on App and the copter will fly to northern direction if you push the right stick up,eastern direction(stick to right) west (stick to left) and south (stick down) .
The copter will continue the flight from the stick input of the right stick,and will not return automatically if the copters signal is available and enough power is on the battery.

Of course Peterx, you are perfectly right, I had completely forgotten „course lock“. That is indeed very similar to the mode used by Yuneec but that orientates itself only on the operator. Keeping for example right stick will fly a circle around the operator and backwards will return to operator, forwards stick will fly directly away from the operator.
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, for Phantom drones, I think Course Lock will be the Headless mode. See the tutorial below:
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules