iPad Mini 4 - Cellular Needed or Recommended?
4837 13 2017-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

When I first started flying my Spark, I read various opinions about the need for the cellular version of the iPad mini 4 - and it made sense to me that the iPad cellular version having on board GPS could provide a safer or better connection while flying.  I've been using it now for 6 months with no problems.

I have a friend that just purchased a new Spark, and is planning to buy an iPad mini 4 - and wants to know if the cellular version has any advantages.  I honestly don't know, based on my own experiences, if the cellular version has actually provided any benefit.

I'm hoping someone here with deeper knowledge can explain why or why not - to purchase the cellular version iPad when flying the Spark.  Will greatly appreciate any input.

2017-12-3
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Cellular version of the iPad Mini 4 will always have accurate mapping data — WITHOUT A CELLULAR CONNECTION — due to the Cellular iPad having real-time GPS components within the iPad.  

Just to be clear — you do not need to have a cellular SIM in the iPad to get this advantage.
2017-12-3
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-12-3 14:54
Cellular version of the iPad Mini 4 will always have accurate mapping data — WITHOUT A CELLULAR CONNECTION — due to the Cellular iPad having real-time GPS components within the iPad.  

Just to be clear — you do not need to have a cellular SIM in the iPad to get this advantage.

Thanks for the information.  I do NOT have the SIM card in the iPad, and of course don't have a cellular plan activated for it.  

Is there an easy way to explain what the drawbacks of flying the Spark with an iPad mini 4 without cellular would be.  I've not seen an advantage of flying with the "accurate mapping data" that I'm aware of - but of course I have it with my iPad.

I'm not aware that I've used the "accurate mapping data" while flying, I simply keep track of the Spark by visual contact, or when it's out of visible range, I keep track of where I am using the iPad screen and use that orientation to fly back to where I'm at.

Sure appreciate the input.  Thanks!
2017-12-3
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I have been flying with a WiFi only iPad Mini 4.  It works fine and you can cache maps so long as you know where you will be flying.  You can find tips here on other posts about cacheing maps.

BUT

I have just acquired a GL.iNet brand travel router (Amazon $23) that can be used with mobile phones via USB tethering.  I have been successful at connecting my iPad Mini via an Ethernet to Lightning cable to the router and my iPhone to the router with a USB to Lightning cable.  The router can be powered with a portable battery.  This gives the iPad a wired connection to the Internet so WiFi can still be used for the Spark.  I configured the router to turn off WiFi so it won't cause any possible WiFi interference with the Spark so the router is pure wired device.

I have not yet flown with this setup but it does make a cheaper iPad connection for two reasons provided you have a smartphone with USB tethering.  First an iPad without cellular is cheaper than one with a cellular connections.  Second you have no additional monthly fee for a new device with a cellular connection even when added to an existing account on most carriers.

I think it will work with Android smart phones and Android tablets if they have the proper USB and Ethernet connections.

I admit it will be just a bit clunky to have the extra cables and it does use the Lightning connection on the iPad which won't let you use the OTG connection to the RC (which is actually not supported by DJI on a Spark).  The router is very small (less than 1.5 ounces and 2.2 inches square) so you could put the whole setup in your pocket or a small camera case on your belt.

In the next several days I will report here my results of flying with this setup.
2017-12-3
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
United States

Mark S Posted at 2017-12-3 18:37
I have been flying with a WiFi only iPad Mini 4.  It works fine and you can cache maps so long as you know where you will be flying.  You can find tips here on other posts about cacheing maps.

BUT

Thanks for the reply, and I'll be looking forward to hearing more about how your set up is working!
2017-12-4
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-12-3 16:36
Thanks for the information.  I do NOT have the SIM card in the iPad, and of course don't have a cellular plan activated for it.  

Is there an easy way to explain what the drawbacks of flying the Spark with an iPad mini 4 without cellular would be.  I've not seen an advantage of flying with the "accurate mapping data" that I'm aware of - but of course I have it with my iPad.

WIthout cellular you will have to preload (cache) the maps to be able to see the map while flying.
Not a big deal. Obviously you won't be able to live stream to Facebook or Youtube, also not a big deal.

But,  a wifi only iPad does not have GPS so you won't see your location on the map while flying. Might be a big deal or not depending on your preference.   What I found was a HUGE deal though was when I lost my drone in a field of very tall grass...   If I had not had the GPS in my phone, I would not have seen my position on the map as well as my drone's position.  With both positions on the map I could walk the "me" marker to the "drone" marker using the map and find my drone.  
2017-12-4
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
United States

This new setup on my iPad to tether it to my iPhone via Ethernet works fine .... other than the extra wires.

The maps did update live on the iPad and I was able to take the new quiz that pops up on the latest version of DJI Go to test your drone pilot knowledge.  I was also able to answer successfully about flying near a no fly zone.  I think all of this seems to take a live Internet connection.  My first test flight today was without Internet on my iPad and I got the Safety Notification popup some have talked about here and I could not acknowledge it.  When I got my iPad connected to the Internet everything seemed to work fine.

You will need the GL.iNet brand router ($23) and the Lightning to RJ45 Ethernet cable (I purchased the one supplied by FindUWill for about $33).  Other routers and Ethernet adaptors exist but I know this combo works between an iPad Mini 4 with iOS 11 and an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.  You will also need a power source.  My test was with a portable battery I already had that provides power via a USB to mini-USB connector that plugs in the router.

This all requires a male/male Ethernet cable between the iPad Lighting to Ethernet cable and the router.  I have a small light weight one somewhere in my "junk box" that will help simplify to wiring.  I am going to put the whole setup in a small camera case with just the wires hanging out and that will make a pretty neat portable Internet connection using my iPhone as the connection point to the Internet.

Don't forget to turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone and iPad.

Here is a diagram of the wiring.

iPad WiFi via Ethernet

iPad WiFi via Ethernet
2017-12-4
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-12-4 14:48
WIthout cellular you will have to preload (cache) the maps to be able to see the map while flying.
Not a big deal. Obviously you won't be able to live stream to Facebook or Youtube, also not a big deal.

LouisP, thanks for the note, and the follow up.  Your information gives me more confidence that I didn't waste my money on the Cellular version of the iPad, and makes me feel better about recommending it to my buddy about to make his purchase.  Happy Flying.
2017-12-4
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
United States

One more note.

Some may ask if you are going to use your iPhone for tethering why not just fly with the iPhone.  Well ... for me the iPad is MUCH better because of the larger screen.  When you get "old" it is not so handy to need reading glasses to see your iPhone screen while flying AND being able to watch your Spark visually without your reading glasses.
2017-12-4
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-12-4 15:32
LouisP, thanks for the note, and the follow up.  Your information gives me more confidence that I didn't waste my money on the Cellular version of the iPad, and makes me feel better about recommending it to my buddy about to make his purchase.  Happy Flying.

The GPS in the cellular iPad is a good reason to get one even if you don't use the cellular data.

Years ago I bought an original iPad mini for my wife with cellular because we were going on vacation in a foreign country and I wanted to be able to use it for navigation.
2017-12-5
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-12-5 13:37
The GPS in the cellular iPad is a good reason to get one even if you don't use the cellular data.

Years ago I bought an original iPad mini for my wife with cellular because we were going on vacation in a foreign country and I wanted to be able to use it for navigation.

Excellent point, that really makes sense to me.  I'm feeling better and better about spending the extra money for my iPad mini 4 with cellular, and will be recommending the same to my buddy.  

I had never even considered the advantages of using the onboard GPS for navigation in foreign lands - that will be a nice feature as we travel.
2017-12-5
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-12-3 14:54

Hi, I am interested to find out if there is any additional benefits of having the iPad mini 4 cellular WITH a SIM card connected - mine is connected with a sim plan (can't make mobile calls on the iPad mini 4 but it does allow mobile data use). I put the SIM card in because it was spare and just laying around the house.

I read somewhere that the sim combines communication towers to the GPS for even greater accuracy. Is this a fact or not? This is only likely to be the case when in range of telephone/mobile phone towers. BUT is this a real advantage or not.

Thanks
2018-9-8
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

mpwobbly Posted at 2018-9-8 20:26
Hi, I am interested to find out if there is any additional benefits of having the iPad mini 4 cellular WITH a SIM card connected - mine is connected with a sim plan (can't make mobile calls on the iPad mini 4 but it does allow mobile data use). I put the SIM card in because it was spare and just laying around the house.

I read somewhere that the sim combines communication towers to the GPS for even greater accuracy. Is this a fact or not? This is only likely to be the case when in range of telephone/mobile phone towers. BUT is this a real advantage or not.

Hello,

I fly with the WIFI version of the iPad Mini 4. The flight experience is perfect. I make cache maps of the area before flying.

Greetings. Fly safely.
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

It's always best to have a cellular device than strictly WiFi, but it's not a requirement to fly DJI drones, the WiFi devices will work just fine. The only real advantages to having a cellular device will be the ability to live stream your flight to social media like Facebook Live and YouTube, plus the need not to cache your maps. That's about it, if you don't find the need to live stream and you cache your maps pre-flight then having a cellular device really won't change or improve much regarding your flights. Hope this helps. Cheers!
2018-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules