"Gimbal shake" warning on Mavic?
2889 7 2017-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

Today I flew my Mavic for the first time in about a month.  Throughout the flight, I kept getting "gimbal shake" warnings in the DJI GO 4 app.  Some points of note:

• I've been flying my Mavic since July, racked up quite a few flight hours since then, never once saw this error before.
  • The warning itself is only unusual behavior I noticed:  it displayed the yellow warning in the app, but I didn't actually notice the image appearing to shake, or anything.  The pictures I took appear to be reasonable.  Took some video and I didn't notice it juddering or anything.  The main effect on my flying was that while the warning was up, it wouldn't let me take a photo.
  • It wasn't continuous.  It would show the "gimbal shake" warning for 10 seconds or so, then wouldn't have the problem for a while, then it would come back again.  This pattern continued throughout the flight.  Started as soon as I took off, continued throughout the flight.

As I mentioned, never happened even once before today.  No changes at all to the drone, physically, since the last flight-- it's just been sitting peacefully on a shelf for the past month.  Updated the DJI GO 4 app to the latest version when I booted up my CrystalSky today (it had been a month, there was a new version available), but that's the only software change I'm aware of.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  What's going on here?

2017-12-3
Use props
VictorMike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2616266 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok I thought I was going crazy. I just put in a support request for the same thing because this warning was new to me. It's worth noting i've never crashed and my gimbal has always been transported with the lock on. If I get a response i'll follow up here.
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please check if the gimbal is mounting properly on the plate, avoid flying the drone when there is a strong wind, and do a gimbal calibration. If the warning keeps popping up, I advise you to send the drone back for repair.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-12-4
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-4 00:31
Hi there, please check if the gimbal is mounting properly on the plate, avoid flying the drone when there is a strong wind, and do a gimbal calibration. If the warning keeps popping up, I advise you to send the drone back for repair.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thank you for the response.  I looked at the gimbal to see if there  was anything at all visibly "loose".  I didn't see anything at all that "looked wrong" ... but then again, I don't know exactly what "wrong" would look like.  There's some sort of plate that's secured at the four corners with rubber-band-looking things; all four rubber bands are in place.  The gimbal appears to me to be solidly attached to that plate.

I have flown in somewhat windy conditions in the past, never had a problem (or got this warning) before.  Yesterday, when I was flying and got this warning, it was completely dead calm; no breeze at all.

I'll try doing the gimbal calibration and see what happens, thanks.
2017-12-4
Use props
VictorMike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2616266 ft
  • >>>
United States

They want me to send mine in for repair.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Twirlip Posted at 2017-12-4 08:12
Thank you for the response.  I looked at the gimbal to see if there  was anything at all visibly "loose".  I didn't see anything at all that "looked wrong" ... but then again, I don't know exactly what "wrong" would look like.  There's some sort of plate that's secured at the four corners with rubber-band-looking things; all four rubber bands are in place.  The gimbal appears to me to be solidly attached to that plate.

I have flown in somewhat windy conditions in the past, never had a problem (or got this warning) before.  Yesterday, when I was flying and got this warning, it was completely dead calm; no breeze at all.

I should have left you the checklist first. But I think your gimbal is mounting properly. So please do the calibration and check if it will happen again.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

VictorMike Posted at 2017-12-4 16:38
They want me to send mine in for repair.

Hi Mike, if you got the same error message on the app, maybe you can try my suggestion on 3# first and then see if the issue persists. If the error keeps existing, then you might need to send it back for repair.
2017-12-4
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

So, the problem appears to be trying to use the new low-noise propellers, which I had ordered for my Mavic.

I did gimbal calibration; that didn't seem to make any difference.  Today when I went to fly, I was able to do one flight about the same as before-- i.e. mostly okay, with occasional "gimbal shake" warnings-- but then when I tried to do a second flight, it was utterly unusable.  Continuous gimbal-shake warnings, and the picture was garbled.  I tried hovering the drone right in front of me so I could watch it, and I could see that it was shaking very badly.  The gimbal was vibrating up and down several times a second, and the whole body of the drone was vibrating some, too.

On a hunch, I tried replacing the new low-noise propellers with the original ones that came with the Mavic ... and then the gimbal shake problem went completely away.  Took off, flew, didn't receive any gimbal shake warnings for the whole flight.

Not sure why the low-noise propellers would cause that problem... or why they'd seem to fly just fine for several flights and then end up completely unusable.  Anyway, for now it appears I'm good to go; I'm just kinda sad that I can't use my new propellers.

(Which puzzles me, because I thought the new propellers were supposed to work with the original Mavic, just not with quite as many benefits as with the Platinum?)
2017-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules