Phantom 3 Standard "Disconnected"
3089 14 2017-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_x3Pt1ZD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72484 ft

United States

Hello everyone, I usually get a lot of "signal interference" on my drone when flying, maybe due to me living in an urban area. Yesterday though, my drone was about 300 feet right over me and out of nowhere the DJI GO app screen said "Disconnected". I was unable to see anything through the app and I it staid disconnected for several minutes. That doesnt seem very normal considering it was right over me. Any help will be much appreciated.

2017-12-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's not a good idea to fly directly overhead because the pilot's controller is in a "dead area" relative to the antenna on the AC.  It might help to aim your controller correctly, but that doesn't really solve the problem.  The solution is to fly out a bit and not hover directly overhead.  
2017-12-4
Use props
Leo_Phantom3S
lvl.1

United States

In case that happens again is there anyway to manually bring the drone down?
2017-12-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You could probably have turned your antenna to a horizontal position and regained a connection.
2017-12-4
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

If your P3 didn't initiate RTH by it self, chances are that it was just video feed that was disconnected and you would have been able to control the quad without issue from the sticks. But as has been said, do not fly directly above you unless you orientate the antenna or remote correctly.
2017-12-4
Use props
Leo_Phantom3S
lvl.1

United States

Okay got it! Thanks for the tips! It's my first week with the drone and still getting the hang of things. Also I've been getting a lot of interference causing my DJI App to say Disconnected. I live in an urban area (Miami). Is there anyway to minimize this? I recently bought one of the copper parabolic extender. Didn't seem to make a huge difference with the interference.
2017-12-5
Use props
fansdb556301
lvl.1

United States

Mine is all of a sudden doing same thing. Either blanking our or going back to icon screen on my phone...  it wasn’t directly over me. Controls worked fine... just no visual on screen.
2017-12-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You have to aim your controller (antennas) correctly.  Inside the P3S controller are the two patch antennas which send and receive the FPV.  You can see them in the photo below - they look like square wafers.  To achieve the best possible signal, you want to aim the flat part of those antennas directly at the AC - meaning not to the left or right, and not too far up or down.  Which means you have to face the AC and tilt the controller accordingly.  Take a look at the photo below and next time try to aim those patch antennas better.  

Image credit:  msinger

The stick antenna is for control.  You want that at a 90 degree tilt relative to the controller at all times - and then you want to tilt the entire controller so as to aim all three antennas as perfectly as possible towards the AC.  

2017-12-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Leo_Phantom3S Posted at 2017-12-5 06:55
Okay got it! Thanks for the tips! It's my first week with the drone and still getting the hang of things. Also I've been getting a lot of interference causing my DJI App to say Disconnected. I live in an urban area (Miami). Is there anyway to minimize this? I recently bought one of the copper parabolic extender. Didn't seem to make a huge difference with the interference.

Go out To the beach, if they don't restrict drones, and you will get much better signal and distance.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans536dd43d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248983 ft
Canada

Mine just started doing the same thing so I removed and reloaded the GO app. And so far so good - no disconnections. I agree with one of the other replies that it’s probably just camera view that’s missing as I could still fly my P3S even with no feed from the AC. The video recording was uninterrupted as well. Might want to try removing and re-downloading the app.?
2017-12-5
Use props
Leo_Phantom3S
lvl.1

United States

So I was able to fly the P3S yesterday and when I go from around 500-1000 + feet in distance the video feed disconnects but I can still control the drone. I'm using an iPhone X for the monitor. Maybe using an iPad will better improve that? If not what can I do to improve the transmission signal to the actual phone??
2017-12-6
Use props
Leo_Phantom3S
lvl.1

United States

As per my last reply, I have the latest firmware update and I already tried deleting and re-downloading app.
2017-12-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Leo_Phantom3S Posted at 2017-12-6 04:13
So I was able to fly the P3S yesterday and when I go from around 500-1000 + feet in distance the video feed disconnects but I can still control the drone. I'm using an iPhone X for the monitor. Maybe using an iPad will better improve that? If not what can I do to improve the transmission signal to the actual phone??

Think they are having some problems with the 8 and x.  Supposedly working on it.
2017-12-6
Use props
Leo_Phantom3S
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-12-6 05:15
Think they are having some problems with the 8 and x.  Supposedly working on it.

Ohhh.. Okay.. I'll be trying my iPad today. Just in case
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Leo_Phantom3S Posted at 2017-12-6 06:13
Ohhh.. Okay.. I'll be trying my iPad today. Just in case

Hi, Leo. If you still get the "Disconnected message" frequently, please provide a screenshot of the image screen. Also, you can check if your RC connected with another mobile device.
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules