Should I power up my DJI Spark after recovering it from the water?
2077 15 2017-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_tGYKEfH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80522 ft
United States

Hi all,

I just crashed my DJI Spark while trying to fly it through a bridge. Seemed to lose connectivity with the remote control. The good thing is I managed to recover it from the water, and the lights were still on when I retrieved it from the water. Would like to check if I should try to power on teh Spark with another battery, or should I send it back to DJI since I/m covered under DJI care?
2017-12-4
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

Definitely send it back under DJI Care. Don't power it up like that.
2017-12-4
Use props
Kardinal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260591 ft
United States

While I agree with the recommendation of sending it back if you have DJI  care, I did see a spark get fished out of a lake and flown pretty much immediately afterwards.  That spark came out of the water with all of its lights on as well.  Amazingly, that particular Spark continues to operate with no issues almost 6 months later.   
2017-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would dry it out completely (bag of rice for a few days) then power it back on. But I like to take risks. Sending it to DJI would probably be the safest but why not try to fix it yourself first.

Did it float???
2017-12-4
Use props
sSkyPilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hmm... Water short circuits all circuits on a board? Right? The battery is toast for sure. Best way to get over past love is get another. Cheers
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I am so sorry for the crash, to ensure the safety, I would recommend you send it to DJI for diagnosis, please refer the link below to start a case.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please follow Diana's advice and if you bought DJI Refresh, you can use the old one for replacement. Thanks for your support.
2017-12-4
Use props
djiuser_tGYKEfH
Second Officer
United States

Thanks all.. I managed to recover the drone (thank god the water was shallow and it was near the shore so I could reach it with my hands) and have sent back the drone using my Support care.

Uploaded the final moments of my Sparky baby .. Only have it for less than a week. (Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/833bbzlvwl7s7ta/spark%20crash.mov?dl=0).

But I'm now wondering if I is my fault for the crash. It seem to have lost connection with my controller under the bridge, and then went on ATTI mode. The next thing I know I had to run to find the drone. I suspect the compass failed when I flew near a metal structure. I will have to pay $49 if I redeem it using my DJI care (which I already did).. Should this be claimed under warranty instead?

2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_tGYKEfH Posted at 2017-12-4 23:29
Thanks all.. I managed to recover the drone (thank god the water was shallow and it was near the shore so I could reach it with my hands) and have sent back the drone using my Support care.

Uploaded the final moments of my Sparky baby .. Only have it for less than a week. (Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/833bbzlvwl7s7ta/spark%20crash.mov?dl=0).

Hi sir, it's good to hear that you could recover the drone at the end. If there is a doubt about the crash, please kindly choose "Manufacturing Defect" when you fill the online repair request. We will manage a data analysis when we receive the drone and find out the reason for the crash. If it's malfunction and under warranty period, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.
Please start by applying the online repair. Thanks. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-12-5
Use props
djiuser_tGYKEfH
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-5 21:34
Hi sir, it's good to hear that you could recover the drone at the end. If there is a doubt about the crash, please kindly choose "Manufacturing Defect" when you fill the online repair request. We will manage a data analysis when we receive the drone and find out the reason for the crash. If it's malfunction and under warranty period, we will get your drone repaired with no charge according to our After-sales Policy.
Please start by applying the online repair. Thanks. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Hi Thor, thanks for your reply.

I had put up a request under DJI Refresh and the spark has been sent to UPS. I do have something that require your assistance. I actually purchased the drone for an upcoming South America trip, and am departing leaving for NYC on 22 Dec, then to South America on 26 Dec.

As I checked the shipping status for the drone to be sent back, I'm seeing that the scheduled delivery is 12 Dec (1 weeks after I dropped of the item at the UPS store). I'm now worried that the drone will not come back in time for my trip. Looking at previous posts there were varied feedback on the replacement lead time ranging from 2-3 weeks to months in some cases. Its the festive seasons and I'm hearing that UPS is hit with some delays which is getting me worried. My case number is :CAS-1273050-H2J2B3

I would like to check the following:
- Is it possible to inform the relevant team to expedite the checking and replacement lead time once the  Spark reaches the destination in CA?
- Can the replacement unit be shipped via express delivery? I am on the east cost so ground shipping takes about one week.
- If the shipment is not likely to arrive in Boston (my stated delivery address) by 22 Dec, I may need to redirect the delivery to the hotel where I'm staying in New York.
- I'm not sure if I want to dispute if its manufacturing defect for fear that it would take a longer time for replacement. I hope DJI stands by their commitment for quick turnarund for DJI care cases!

2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_tGYKEfH Posted at 2017-12-6 08:45
Hi Thor, thanks for your reply.

I had put up a request under DJI Refresh and the spark has been sent to UPS. I do have something that require your assistance. I actually purchased the drone for an upcoming South America trip, and am departing leaving for NYC on 22 Dec, then to South America on 26 Dec.

Hi sir, I will inform the local team to expedite the case and keep an eye on it. For changing the express, maybe you can contact support.us@dji.com for a further help. The turnaround time for DJI Care/ Care Refresh is faster than the regular repair. Hope you can receive your drone in time.
2017-12-7
Use props
JxckSweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

Try the rice fix i got crashed mine and it fell into water i put mine in rice 2 days  its been working fine for months now!
2017-12-7
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

JxckSweeney Posted at 2017-12-7 05:49
Try the rice fix i got crashed mine and it fell into water i put mine in rice 2 days  its been working fine for months now!

The OP wrote: "the spark has been sent to UPS", hence it rather too late to try rice.
2017-12-7
Use props
djiuser_tGYKEfH
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-7 04:51
Hi sir, I will inform the local team to expedite the case and keep an eye on it. For changing the express, maybe you can contact  for a further help. The turnaround time for DJI Care/ Care Refresh is faster than the regular repair. Hope you can receive your drone in time.

Thanks for your help! will email contact as well! Any idea whats the turnaround time at DJI once they received the item?
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_tGYKEfH Posted at 2017-12-7 08:12
Thanks for your help! will email contact as well! Any idea whats the turnaround time at DJI once they received the item?

It seems you applied DJI Care Express, right? Normally, it might take 1-2 business days after we sign the package, it wouldn't take too long.
2017-12-8
Use props
djiuser_tGYKEfH
Second Officer
United States

Yes, I did. Hopefully there's no further delay for shipment to CA in view of the wild fire there.
Btw can I request for express delivery instead of ground delivery which takes more than one week to arrive at the east coast?
Have written to the email address you gave nut no response at all.
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules