Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Second Remote monitoring concept
3128 21 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi All,

Been messing around with monitoring ideas for the second (camera) remote.   The two biggest issues in my opinion are:

1. Not being able to see enough detail on the small screen.   I often get back to the studio and then find a garbage can or something in the shot I didn't notice on the iPhone/iPad.

2. Light.  Even with a hood it's annoying to work with a screen in open sunlight.

So here's my solution!   An HDMI EVF (electronic viewfinder) that can also flip up to be a normal screen.   This fixes both issues at once and I suppose is an alternative to goggles.

IMG_3569.JPG
2015-4-14
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

That is super cool, what is the cost?
Like you, I want to make sure I can see exactly what is going to be on the card when I get back home.
Many outstanding clips can be ruined by, like you said, an unseen garbage can -

Bob
2015-4-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-15 07:51
That is super cool, what is the cost?
Like you, I want to make sure I can see exactly what is going  ...

Hey Bob,

They start around the $300 range and go up to about $1,000.   I already had this for one of my other cameras so it was easy to test.

Not really sure whether this would be better or worse than goggles if the cost ended up being the same.

Either way, I think it looks kinda cool!   {:3_57:}
2015-4-14
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Very cool.. I saw the same concept from Adam Savage (myth busters) ! It looks like a good idea for that special shot!
I Like the looks of yours better.... However pulling the whole remote controller to your eye while flying at the same time  might not be the most practical... If you have not seeing this video with his idea, check it out... It might give you some other ideas:

http://youtu.be/-JsGggcQRTM
Thanks for sharing!
2015-4-14
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-15 08:21
Hey Bob,

They start around the $300 range and go up to about $1,000.   I already had this for one ...

I have goggles/cinimizers - (no cord yet).

I just got some fantastic footage during my first flight, and I was afraid the whole time.
Two gps dropouts, and some weird red warning failure 200ft from landing.
I'm ready for it, but if it happens at the wrong time, in the wind, well ....... just uncomfortable

I HATE trusting the firmware, how do you do it?

Bob
2015-4-14
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

genettico@hotma Posted at 2015-4-15 09:09
Very cool.. I saw the same concept from Adam Savage (myth busters) ! It looks like a good idea for t ...

Certainly wouldn't go that way on the primary remote Genettico!
I'd give short odds of completing a safe flight - mind you it could work well if partnered up with a second nose cam / tx as a FPV setup?

It would be illegal in my country anyway as we need to maintain LOS at all times. Our CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) is still looking at the details for certifying commercial FPV / BVLOS flight operations.

Jim was talking about using it on the secondary as a camera operator tool - that's a great idea!
Jim, how heavy was it when fitted to the remote -  Was it awkward to handle?
2015-4-14
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-4-15 09:41
I'd give short odds of completing ...

Touché! Yeah... Missed that! Thx for clarifying!
. Have you tried it Jim? as I said.. I like yours better.. Is cleaner.... And it seems you might be able to adjust the  right angle better.. Does it get awkward to control remote while holding at eye level though? At least You don't have to carry that cyborg harness Adam made.

2015-4-14
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-4-15 09:41
I'd give short odds of completing ...

. Have you tried it Jim? as I said.. I like yours better.. Is cleaner.... And it seems you might be able to adjust the  right angle better.. Does it get awkward to control remote while holding at eye level though? At least You don't have to carry that cyborg harness Adam made.

2015-4-14
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-15 09:34
I have goggles/cinimizers - (no cord yet).

you would have to use it with a 2nd controller, operator and then you would be the camera op. I would never op with cinimizer if it was just me to much to risk.
2015-4-14
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually you can use it on one remote with the below adapter that allows you to mount two monitors. in one side you can mount a monitor or tablet and on the other side you can mount a EVF
IMG_20150414_232729.jpg
2015-4-14
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-15 11:20
. I would never op with cinimizer if it was just me to much to risk.  ...

There is no risk, (they are not glued to your face - lol)
Everyone using the cinimzers alone, (by themselves) can easily see the I1 looking above the glasses, and they can also see their tablet when they look below the glasses. Again, it would only be a risk for YOU if they were glued to your face (and you couldn't see around them). I just ordered a cord and will try them out in an open field on Friday -

Bob
2015-4-14
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

if you don't mind me asking what EFV is that in the screenshot and do you know if they make one for both eyes instead of one
2015-4-14
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

if you don't mind me asking what EFV is that in the screenshot and do you know if they make one for both eyes instead of one
2015-4-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-15 11:44
There is no risk, (they are not glued to your face - lol)
Everyone using the cinimzers alone, (by  ...

Good stuff Bob.  Will be interested to know if they block out enough light in open sun?   That's the one thing the EVF has going for it, total blockout .

I think the goggles are a great way to go.   I'm sure I would use them over the EVF if I owned them.   

Being free and already in my arsenal was great motivation to make it work though!  
2015-4-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-4-15 11:51
if you don't mind me asking what EFV is that in the screenshot and do you know if they make one for  ...

Hey Pi, mine is about 4 years old and was made by Zacuto.  

Looks like they're still making it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... mp;Q=&A=details

Very good quality but not sure I would take them over goggles if I were in the market today.   

Having said that I haven't tried the goggles so I can't compare quality.
2015-4-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

genettico@hotma Posted at 2015-4-15 11:09
. Have you tried it Jim? as I said.. I like you ...

Only tried it in a quick test, not in the field as I'm still flying solo and would never have it on the main remote.

The adjustable mount is quite versatile so I can get it quite far away from the remote if needed.   
2015-4-14
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-15 12:09
Good stuff Bob.  Will be interested to know if they block out enough light in open sun?   That's t ...

I also bought the rubber complete light block INSERTS for full immersion.
I think these glasses would be right up ur alley Jim.

Bob
2015-4-14
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

The problem that I see with te view finder in 2nd controller is that the camera man needs to customize the Tx an memorize how to use for camera setting
2015-4-15
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I appreciate this is a pretty old thread now, but just wondering if you'd used the Zacuto idea much since, #Jimhare (or indeed, if anyone else has tried an EVF)?

I have a set of headplay goggles for my slave controller, but have been tempted to hook up an EVF to the master for those times when I don't have a camera operator.
It seems the EVF could be pretty beneficial to quickly double-check the framing of a shot when you're on your own and haven't gone out with the sole intention of shooting.

Goggles make perfect sense for a slave/camera-operator but just wondering if anyone has actually tried an EVF recently, maybe as a supplementary aid on the main controller?
2017-3-9
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DarrenE Posted at 2017-3-9 12:33
I appreciate this is a pretty old thread now, but just wondering if you'd used the Zacuto idea much since, #Jimhare (or indeed, if anyone else has tried an EVF)?

I have a set of headplay goggles for my slave controller, but have been tempted to hook up an EVF to the master for those times when I don't have a camera operator.

Hi Darren,

I was pretty gung-ho in the early days but found myself getting lazier and lazier.   In the end I just used my phone with a sunshade and all in all it worked pretty well.  Also worth saying I've always been on my own and never used the second controller for camera only.   If I did then I think the EVF would be an excellent solution.
2017-3-9
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Jim, that's valuable feedback.
I've decided it's worth pursuing - I spotted a SmallHD DP4 at a good price, so once I've sourced a magic arm, I'll pop it on and see how it goes! photos and write-up to follow
2017-3-10
Use props
djiuser_g43s8nP6N4ba
lvl.1

India

It is great that you have done this.It is good example of remote monitoring.keep sharing about remote monitoring
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules