Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Becoming a Certified 107 Remote Pilot?
1165505 1165505 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Decided to poll this topic to hear your thoughts about the subject. You have two choices so go for it !

Have PT 107 but currently not using it for work yet. Looking to use it in the coming months at my cousin's Real Estate business.

Although I'm not currently using it, I'd thought rather to have it than need it and not have it.

What's your take?
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 115 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-12-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I don't need it because, right now, I'm a hobbyist. I am interested in obtaining Part 107. As you said, better to have it and not need it. Besides, more education can't hurt!!
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

To bad we cannot see who the forum members voted for what ;-) ...or does this forum have that option?
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-5 10:07
I don';t need it because, right now, I'm a hobbyist. I am interested in obtaining Part 107. As you said, better to have it and not need it. Besides, more education can't hurt!!

" more education can't hurt!!"

True words of wisdom my friend.

2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 10:28
To bad we cannot see who the forum members voted for what ;-) ...or does this forum have that option?

Yes, it's available and on display.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for voting guys. Thus far, interesting results. Neck in neck with some folks just interested in being a hobbyist or looking to obtain cert at some point.
2017-12-5
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I would like to obtain the certificate but don't need it as I'm only a hobbyist
2017-12-5
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely interested in becoming a FAA Licensed Remote Pilot and am studying for the exam. Have seen a few app that help to prepare. Does anyone actually have experience with any apps that help prepare them for the exam? If so, which app? Thanks, cool poll...
2017-12-5
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-5 15:37
Definitely interested in becoming a FAA Licensed Remote Pilot and am studying for the exam. Have seen a few app that help to prepare. Does anyone actually have experience with any apps that help prepare them for the exam? If so, which app? Thanks, cool poll...

This is a good study Video, watch it till you drop.
This helped me as well
3DR Study Guides & Practice Test

2017-12-5
Use props
DocQuicksand
First Officer
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-5 15:47
This helped me as well

Thank you!  
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

DocQuicksand Posted at 2017-12-5 15:37

Here is an app for Android i came across after i took the exam. It was $4.99 and worth it. I use it now and then just to keep my brain fresh on the subject > https://play.google.com/store/ap ... nrobotix.labs&hl=en
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

This helped me as well

ya this video was probably the first i came across and it helped a lot BUT the questions i got did not match much of what he had in his video nor did many of the practice test sites. That app i posted is more like the test i had.
The app has the pages from the book in it that you had to look up most everything like you do taking the test i think.
2017-12-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 10:28

Not sure if you found the option to view the poll results...

At the top of the poll, it says: Multiple choiceVote:. At the end of that link is a link that says: View Poll participants
2017-12-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 16:36
Here is an app for Android i came across after i took the exam. It was $4.99 and worth it. I use it now and then just to keep my brain fresh on the subject > https://play.google.com/store/ap ... nrobotix.labs&hl=en

Will definitely check out the app. Although it looks like they raised the price to $5.99
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-5 16:43
Not sure if you found the option to view the poll results...

At the top of the poll, it says: Multiple choiceVote:. At the end of that link is a link that says: View Poll participants

ya i saw that after i posted. Eyes weren't open quite yet i guess lol
And the app did go up.....
2017-12-5
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 16:47
ya i saw that after i posted. Eyes weren't open quite yet i guess lol

Honestly, I didn't know it was there until you asked the question and I decided to look!!!
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

Really it is not that hard of a test if you apply yourself to do it and retain it.
I passed 3 Federal exams in 28 days and i am 62 years old lol  The Part 107 FAA, Technician and General HAM licenses FCC.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

This helped me as well

I also review some of this as well.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 16:36

Good point as you know, we'll need to re-test in 2 years.
2017-12-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-5 17:03
Really it is not that hard of a test if you apply yourself to do it and retain it.
I passed 3 Federal exams in 28 days and i am 62 years old lol  The Part 107 FAA, Technician and General HAM licenses FCC.

Yes and no.

I've taken 3 and 4 hour state exams and although this one was only 2 hours, IMO, some of those questions took me for a loop. As you pointed out, if you apply yourself and retain the info, you're good to go.
2017-12-5
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-5 18:05
Yes and no.

I've taken 3 and 4 hour state exams and although this one was only 2 hours, IMO, some of those questions took me for a loop. As you pointed out, if you apply yourself and retain the info, you're good to go.

I was thinking about going for the Extra Class HAM license but i am about studied out for awhile. I do have more time on my hands at this time hmmmm lol Not sure how i got to liking studying/taking tests the last couple of months.......
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-6 06:55
I was thinking about going for the Extra Class HAM license but i am about studied out for awhile. I do have more time on my hands at this time hmmmm lol Not sure how i got to liking studying/taking tests the last couple of months.......

I'm with ya on that one. Think I'll take a break from exams.
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-6 06:55

wait....hmmm never heard of that 'Extra Class HAM license'...just read up on it. Interesting.
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-6 09:22
wait....hmmm never heard of that 'Extra Class HAM license'...just read up on it. Interesting.

ya there are only 3 classes of licenses now. Tech, General and Extra. I'm a General right now.
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-6 09:57
ya there are only 3 classes of licenses now. Tech, General and Extra. I'm a General right now.

Congrats, nicccce !
2017-12-6
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

My status at IACRA says "Airman Registry – Complete" so i should have something in the US Mail soon. It will be 8 weeks this Friday since i took my exam. Just mentioning this so you have an idea when yours will arrive @M.C. Pilot and by the way my name is Bob i live near Springfield MO.
2017-12-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-7 06:50
My status at IACRA says "Airman Registry – Complete" so i should have something in the US Mail soon. It will be 8 weeks this Friday since i took my exam. Just mentioning this so you have an idea when yours will arrive @M.C. Pilot and by the way my name is Bob i live near Springfield MO.

Hey Bob, cool thanks for the update.

Yeah I checked yesterday and the IACRA site said something in reference to sent to Airman Registry I believe. Guess it's being processed and yes I've heard it does take roughly 8 weeks or so.

I have a bit to go.  

I'm Will
2017-12-7
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-7 09:34
Hey Bob, cool thanks for the update.

Yeah I checked yesterday and the IACRA site said something in reference to sent to Airman Registry I believe. Guess it's being processed and yes I've heard it does take roughly 8 weeks or so.

You should be able to print out your temp certificate by now i would say. That only took a few days. You will get an email stating that i believe. That is the only email i have gotten from them.
2017-12-7
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-7 09:39
You should be able to print out your temp certificate by now i would say. That only took a few days. You will get an email stating that i believe. That is the only email i have gotten from them.

This is what you get in about 60 Days

2017-12-7
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-7 09:58

[view_image]

No expire date? I wondered why i don't have an expire date at IACRA.
2017-12-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Niccce. Yeah I just checked and it says, 'Temp Airmen Certificate'...but I think I'll just wait for the blue card.
2017-12-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Another excellent practice testing source.   ------->   https://online.prepware.com/

Wow nice, 28 members so far that have an interest in obtaining the cert.

2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

No one owning up to failing the exam? I would think someone has failed that comes to this forum? Maybe they haven't seen this thread yet.
It's no big deal if you have failed. It would really suck to pay out $150 and not pass i bet! I have seen youtube videos of people not passing the first time then going back and passing.
This is a great thread. I thought about posting similar in the past but figured no one really gave a crap about the exam/certification. Thanks M.C. Pilot for posting. And to those putting their certification to work, that is just great! Congrats to them.
2017-12-8
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-8 06:08
No one owning up to failing the exam? I would think someone has failed that comes to this forum? Maybe they haven't seen this thread yet.
It's no big deal if you have failed. It would really suck to pay out $150 and not pass i bet! I have seen youtube videos of people not passing the first time then going back and passing.
This is a great thread. I thought about posting similar in the past but figured no one really gave a crap about the exam/certification. Thanks M.C. Pilot for posting. And to those putting their certification to work, that is just great! Congrats to them.

Honestly before taking the exam, I'd said if I fail no  big deal, just take it again but this time study harder to pass the areas that I didn't do so well would've been my approach.

Yeah I ran across some of those videos of failing the exam, then passing the second time around. I guess this is the reason why I'd created this thread so folks see how prepared you need to be before taking on the PT 107.

2017-12-8
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

As a hobbyist I had no intentions of taking on the PT 107 until the light bulb went on and said...............hmmmmmmmmm....why not be certified as a remote pilot since it's something I truly enjoy - plus have an opportunity to make extra cash too.
2017-12-8
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

why not be certified as a remote pilot since it's something I truly enjoy - plus have an opportunity to make extra cash too.

ya and be legal doing it and not worrying if you get caught doing it illegally lol
2017-12-8
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-8 06:18
As a hobbyist I had no intentions of taking on the PT 107 until the light bulb went on and said...............hmmmmmmmmm....why not be certified as a remote pilot since it's something I truly enjoy - plus have an opportunity to make extra cash too.

That is the primary reason to have a Part 107, you can not legally sell any photos or videos commercially without it, you also have to remember having a Part 107 holds you to a higher standard than recreational users, the I didn't know won't save you in an incident. Also if you fly under Part 107 (which you can still fly under Part 333 as a recreational pilot as long as you are not working on or completing a mission for hire) you will require Aviation Insurance for any Part 107 work you are completing on a clients behalf and or contract.
I had to purchase the Aviation Liability & Property coverage before contracting any jobs (most all clients require it even for weddings) and you need a separate policy for each drone you intend to use for commercial work. I use my P3P for work, the policy is around $650 USD p/year for $1 million in coverage. Use the Mavic & P4P under 333 for recreational use, I can however swap out the drones within the policy with 24 hour notice but it will only cover 1 drone at a time.

Travers Aviation Insurance

The main thing about Part 107 is the fact that it allows you to fly in "Regulated & Restricted" areas by way of a waiver. Without Part 107 you will not be able to obtain a waiver thru FAA.
2017-12-8
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-7 09:58

[view_image]

Got an email with access to print out an actual ' CERTIFIED REMOTE PILOT CERT'.  Looks I'll print that out just to keep handy.
2017-12-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-8 06:57
That is the primary reason to have a Part 107, you can not legally sell any photos or videos commercially without it, you also have to remember having a Part 107 holds you to a higher standard than recreational users, the I didn't know won't save you in an incident. Also if you fly under Part 107 (which you can still fly under Part 333 as a recreational pilot as long as you are not working on or completing a mission for hire) you will require Aviation Insurance for any Part 107 work you are completing on a clients behalf and or contract.
I had to purchase the Aviation Liability & Property coverage before contracting any jobs (most all clients require it even for weddings) and you need a separate policy for each drone you intend to use for commercial work. I use my P3P for work, the policy is around $650 USD p/year for $1 million in coverage. Use the Mavic & P4P under 333 for recreational use, I can however swap out the drones within the policy with 24 hour notice but it will only cover 1 drone at a time.

"having a Part 107 holds you to a higher standard than recreational users," by Quadkid

Actually this subject was broached on the online training I took.  True, gotta be on your toes due to the accountability.

I think both recreational and PT 107 need to careful and mindful of the area they're flying in.
2017-12-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I happen to also have an App called 'Verifly' which enables to you buy insurance per hour. I have homeowners property insurance but anything extra is part of a prudent backup plan.
2017-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules